1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrell Edmunds probably coming back on the cheap

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Mar 24, 2022.

1. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    A guy nobody wants is a stud for the Steelers ———- Nation Logic 101

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Who other than yourself used the word stud?

3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I'm a huge Colbert Guy, but the times he has drafted for need, as opposed to BPA he has had some real Duds...

Jarvis...
    Troy Edwards...
    Artie...
    Edmunds...

That's why I have loved this off-season...They could/ should go BPA ( other than ) RB, TE, or QB imo

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah, there's a weird sentiment among this board that Edmunds was going to be around come the Steelers second pick (or even third). If you paid attention at all, you'd know that was never going to be the case. Its almost like the NFL Draft turns out a lot different than your online draft simulator (the same simulators that had dudes like Keanu Neal going in the 4th round only to be selected in the first). Sometimes the "box" safeties are a tough evaluation on where they might go. The Late first to mid second range seems about normal for those types of guys like Keanu Neal, Jabrill Peppers, Landon Collins, Su'a Cravens, Jonathan Abram, Jaquiski Tartt, Karl Joseph (right on par with where Edmunds was taken).

The biggest issue I have with the pick is that they picked Edmunds instead of Jesse Bates. Bates plays safety and is just flat out a better player. I don't care as much that they didn't take Chubb or Leonard (although drafting those guys would have been great) since it was obvious they wanted to go the Safety route with that pick. They picked the guy they liked the most. Bates turned out better. It is what it is. The kid is an okay football player, mediocre starter who has gotten better every year he has been in the league. A far better outcome than busts like Hood, Jones, and Burns. Much more of the ilk of Mendenhall who was a solid enough player, just not what we were hoping for when we took him (adding in the fact that we passed on CJ2K to get him).

Edmunds is far from a bust and we would be fine having him back on a good contract. We wont be able to afford superstars at every position. There is great value in having solid players on good contracts. Our defense still needs its Larry Foote's and Ramon Foster types. Edmunds fills his position just fine. Not a splash player or pro bowler by any means, but quietly just does his job at an NFL starter level and that's it. Would I prefer to upgrade? Sure. Would I hate it if he's back at his market value? Not at all

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Half the problem? If you’re relying on your safety to stop the run you’ve already lost the battle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d have no issue with Edmunds coming back as long as the contract is reasonable. He was a reach and ultimately a disappointment but he is a solid starter for the most part and he doesn’t miss games. There is real value in that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Honey badger
    Kazee
    Edmunds

That's my order. And kazee is an amazing ball hawk.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This T. Edmunds that everyone is talking about being solid. Is that the same T. Edmunds that I watch repeatedly run to the opposite side of the field of where the play was actually going??? Like He was playing a different game. That T. Edmunds??? I wish I was tech savvy. I could make a 3 hr lowlight reel from just half a season of this guy. How long must You be in a D that You don’t know it yet??? Hell I could make a video of the times other teammates are hollering at Him after a big play. I promise they are not hollering.....Great job..., or how about when He is a spectator...stops and watches the play. That's My favorite.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Out of position a lot in the running attack

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A strong safety absolutely has to support the run

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I would, but I'm stubborn like that. If he had become a star, he would have been a star they could have gotten in the second round without missing out on Chubb or Leonard. (To clarify the many-times-beaten horse, I did state a preference for Chubb at the time, but cannot find a post about Leonard. Like most here with a lick of sense, I knew the Edmunds pick was a huge reach as soon as it was announced.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Most of the available evidence suggests that he would have at least made it to the Steelers in the second round. To suggest that otherwise has been proven is to make **** up.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly :this!:

14. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    With Bush following him from behind.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    In 2018 they were still expecting LeVeon to return, and they drafted Conner the year before, so they weren't going to draft Chubb in the first round. We have been over this many times before about Leonard, small school player and Tomlin Colbert didn't attend his pro day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was going 2 say , but our Free safety was??
    No dang way was Minkah supposed 2 make all those tackles He had 2, but someone had 2.
    If We had a better strong safety...I believe Minkah will look even better. He was basically playing back up for Edmunds, and Bush last year, and not able 2 actually play His game. Hopefully Bush is better, but Edmunds has no excuse. IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    :beathorse:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

I wouldn't be so sure about that, I guess he removed the Steelers from his social media FWIW.

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yesssssss!:herewego:
    I need a Snoopy Dance.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Not making **** up at all. Not sure what you heard, but what I heard mentioned was that there was noise about Edmunds in the late first, early second. Rose up the draft board after a quality combine and was excellent in the interview process. You can hate the pick all you want. That's fair. He hasn't been what we wanted out of the pick. But to suggest that there was any evidence that he was AT LEAST a very late second or available well into the third is just wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    And we've been over why that is irrelevant. The question isn't if they would draft Leonard. The question is if they should have drafted him. Clearly, the answer is yes.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You "heard" it. Yeah, that's why the immediate response to the pick was to rip the Steelers for reaching. Actually, I have presented the evidence that he was going to fall that far many times.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Based on what hindsight :rolleyes:?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I'm not saying he isn't supposed to support the run on certain plays....but saying the SS is half the problem on defending the run is crazy. The guy playing SS cannot be HALF of the problem when there are 7 guys in front of him that are supposed to tackle the runner before it even gets to him.

Let's blame HALF the run defense on the SS that misses a tackle 10 yards down the field after the runner blows through the 3 defensive linemen, then the 4 linebackers. :facepalm:

25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    But Tyrann has a cool nickname!

• Like Like x 2