1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrell Edmunds has zero ball awareness

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Have you ever seen a safety who has so little ball awareness as Edmunds? Holy cow he's often in position but NEVER turns around to locate the ball. If he would get his head around he would probably have a couple of picks and a lot fewer PIs. Can someone teach him how to turn his head?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Another Edmunds bashing thread. :facepalm:

IMO, he's played better since Fitzpatrick was installed at FS.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    There always has to be one DB that’s lost early in his career.
    “Some” turn it around nicely.

Scott, Gay, Taylor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Ummm, his doctor?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    im a edmunds basher but I agree with Heinzthegreat, he has been playing just fine with mink.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Linda Blair?

E3572F18-2463-4ACD-BC52-8A41307C6578.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe, but that is a relative term. He hasn't been good. The pass interference call on Edmunds yesterday was a perfect example of the OP. He was in perfect position and should have intercepted the pass. Instead, he just threw his arms up and ran through the receiver, drawing a penalty.

He was also lucky not to be called for interference again when playing the man instead of the ball on the fourth-down pass into the end zone by Goff late in the fourth quarter.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Edmunds versatility is showing in that the coaches trust him enough to cover WR's. He's going to lose some of those battles. Overall he must be playing well enough for the coaches to continue to use him in that role.

9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'll give him more time, he hasn't played the position very long. Maybe it will start to click for him in his 3rd year which is normally the time it takes for rookies to blossom. We have to stop holding his being a first rounder over his head, he had no say in that decision.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I see some improvements. He used to be trailing the play by a few yards. Now he is in pretty good position, he just needs to get his head around sooner then he will have a chance to actually make plays on the ball. The game is still a little fast for him. We really have no choice but to give him more time. We made a investment. I would lean more to it clicking for him soon than not. Fitz can be a huge help with his development.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Terrell Edmunds now is what we saw from Bud Dupree early in his career sans the injuries. Keep in mind that both players coming in had limited exposure within their current positions; both having played only season at that. That said, hopefully like Dupree, Edmunds can turn it around.

However, the bigger issue is when he does. The safety market will be reset yet again when this happens. Both Jamal Adams and Malik will see to that; Derwin James and Minkah himself soon thereafter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Cannot believe you. All it takes is Mason Rudolph for you to have this level of optimism for the team?! I wonder if you can continue these optimistic posts.

It is quite refreshing seeing you do this thus far! :applaud:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  14. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015

It's not just Rudolph. Bud Dupree has improved 10 fold since 2018. Bush is playing well overall.... Nelson was a damn good addition to the secondary. Watt is scary good. Need I say a word about Fitzpatrick? Hell... even Barron is playing better now than he was in September.

The D hasn't been this good since 2010. WRs, RBs and TEs need to pick up the pace. O-line needs to be more consistent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Ah... so it has been Minkah and the defense! I see now. Don't worry about Devin Bush. I doubt another three tackle performance is imminent come Thursday.

17. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    The Steelers are actually fun to watch again.... even though the offense is going through growing pains.

It got old watching all of the superior All Pro talent on offense underachieve year in and year out. This Steelers team is hungry for success and victory. They are not taking any game for granted... and this is a good sign.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes

And I intend to keep working on getting older

:popcorn:

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This is the same coaching staff that continues to match up inside linebackers with slot receivers and tight ends no matter how many times they get beaten. Remember the game against the Chargers last season and tell us again they wouldn’t trust players to do things they cannot do.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    There are different reasons why issues happen at times. One reason is offenses create those match ups. It happens mostly when playing in zone defense. Other teams face the same problems.

Last year was last year. The Steelers are in a much better position today than they were last year from a defensive personnel stand point.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I oh most definitely have. Mike Mitchell is one. Sean Davis being the other. Unlike those two, Terrell has this aspect called time to develop. Furthermore, he is a Strong Safety. As much as I love Derwin James, I would not constitute him as a ballhawking Strong Safety for that would be pointless as that player is best suited playing as the Single High Centerfielder in Deep coverage. Strong Safeties are multi role players nowadays; erasing not just players but areas of the field all together.

Terrell is not there yet for his mental acuity has not caught up with his phenomenal gifts. Again, he only played one full season as a Safety at Virgina Tech. He is not used to the nuances like Derwin James or even Ronnie Harrison for that matter. That said, he has far superior athletic talent than Harrison and has been proven to be more reliable than James.

Again, this is his inexperience showing. He has not played the position all his life. Context needs to be accounted for here. Terrell is still a bit of a project at this point.

Personally, I will not be shocked to see Terrell begin to put it together until later this season. Much like his Rookie Season a year ago, Terrell finished strong. Let us see if he can re-enact that again.

Besides, he has Minkah with him. Minkah is not Sean Davis. Not even close.

22. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree with your assessment and I’ve thought all along he would be at his best as a in the box safety. The less coverage responsibilities down the field the better off he will be. His speed and athleticism is much better suited for a read and react downhill player.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

This is why I had him as a Top 50 player heading into the draft. Pittsburgh's inital plan was to have him sit and learn. Morgan Burnett being unable to stay healthy threw a monkey wrech in those plans all together.

For Terrell to grow overall, allow him to develop from the box. Grow his skills from there. That is part of the reason why Derwin James was so successful. Los Angeles played to his strengths. Pittsburgh is starting to.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    it is still the same defensive coordinator and head coach who gave so often failed to make changes when personnel can’t do the job. That was my point in response to your claim that they wouldn’t use Edmunds in a role in which he fails too often. They have demonstrated that they will do exactly that.