1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

te'o

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Sep 22, 2012.

1. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    You think "Mussburger" got him all the way to runner up in the Heisman voting?

HACK

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    watching teo yesterday night , seems he will be well available at 17 seems the new ray maluaga.
    first time i watch him in one full game

3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I watched Teo last night, on many plays I watched only him. Didn't seem his normal self. Notre Dame's D line was way over matched, which will in turn cause problems for linebackers. I think Teo struggled last night in his pass defense, when the Tide ran the went outside most times, which usually wouldn't be Teo job to make those tackles, if his does most will be on big gains. His draft stock went down last night for sure, so good chance he will be there when the Steelers pick.

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

the media definitely plays a part in that. They hyped him up all year while ignoring the competition he faced. He excelled against average competition but when facing the upper echelon he largely whiffed. He may turn out to be a good nfl linebacker, but he's not a sure thing by any means. Personally I don't want projects drafted in the first round. It doesn't help that he will more than likely a used by nfl tight ends.

5. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I want ansah from BYU. Just not a fan of teo, he has alot of spotlight on him and last night, although it was a team effort and not his fault, he had a shot to show the world what he can do, it was put up or shut up time, and he seemed to shut up. Just not as big on him as alot of people are. I think he is over hyped and with that much pressure on him he could go either way.

6. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Good point. I really liked watching him play this year but, you are right, alot of the teams ND played were mediocre.

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I didn't watch him at all during the season cause I don't follow college football but I kept hearing his name and after watching him lst night I was wondering what the fuss was all about. He had at least a half dozen missed tackles. I wasn't impressed and certainly believe he would be a chance pick at 17. We need a solid starter at the number 1 pick slot this year and not a media sensation. I'm sure he'll be gone in the top 5 anyways but last night he and the entire ND team looked lost. Especially the coach.

I loved these quotes from Kelly. We need to play 2 minutes, 2 minutes, 2 minutes and 2 minutes. First 2 minutes of the game, last 2 of the 2nd, first 2 of the 3rd and last 2 of the game, then they elect to defer??? REALLY?. Brilliant strategy! How bout playing 60 minutes and keeping their high powered offense off the field? Then the going into halftime locker room quote. Coach How do you come back from being down 28-0, Well maybe we should hope that they don't come back onto the field in the 2nd half. Thats a great halftime approach. Here's what we're going to do you Mighty Fighting Irish. We're going to run down the hall and lock all their doors cause the only chance we have in this game is if they forfeit.
    I said before on this forum that I thought he would be a decent NFL head coach but I need to take that back right now. Saban schooled him last night.

8. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I really hope teams with the top 16 picks think the same way that you guys do. Honestly I was hoping Te'o would get abused last night. The Alabama OL is the best in college football. They mauled the ND defensive line, which means they're getting to the next level on Te'o. Luke Kuechley played lesser competition his last year at BC and that didn't seem to bother anyone.

"It doesn't help that he will more than likely a used by nfl tight ends."
    This cracks me up. Pass coverage is one of Manti's biggest strengths! Zach Ertz of Standford was 2nd in the country for receptions by a TE, he had 4 catches for 55 yards against ND.

My guy right now is is Ziggy Ansah, but if Te'o is there I hope we're sprinting to the podium. I love Ansah' raw talent, but give me a great football player over a freak athlete any day.

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    yes but he missed a lot of tackles too , warmack and jones are beast i know we spent high picks already on oline but still

10. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not going to dispute the fact that the 'Bama O-line is ridiculous. However, even when Teo was in position to make a play he whiffed. It was a poor performance from him. That being said, I'd seriously consider him at #17. Still leaning Ansah but I've got a feeling that after the combine Ansah will go ahead of Teo..

11. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    almost THIS!

Still not sold on Anash with the #17 pick for us. High character? Yes! Athletic Beast? Yes! Position of need? Probably but not highest need. Football smarts? hhmmm? Don't know this. He's so new to the game and our system is so complex how long will it be before he becomes productive for us?

LG is a need and Warmack is a no brainer at #17
    ILBer is a need and even though Teo will go in rd 1 he showed he's human. Maybe rd 2 would be a better value selection.
    safety is a need-
    RB-
    TE-
    These are all needs, possibly higher than OLBer.( maybe not RB though we really do need a feature back,ala stephen jackson)

Cajun-

12. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    It was a bad game, he's had others (when ND played Pitt). I still don't see how people think after a great season, with a couple of bad marks, that makes him drop from a top 10 talent to not worth our pick at 17.

13. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I could get behind Warmack at #17.. It's (3) 1st rd picks and (2) 2nd rd picks on the O-line. That's a big investment but like I said, I'd support it. Just not sure we'll invest those types of resources on one unit.

Heck, I could support Teo, Ansah, Warmack, Elam. I'd even support Jake Matthews.. We could go in ALOT of different directions.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He's still a great college player, it's nonsense to say he sucks now after a bad game. But what I think is open for debate is, do we spend a 1st rd pick on a LB? I don't know, I'd love to have him but maybe we should finish shoring up the line, 1 more pick I think would do it. I know that's a lot of attention to the line over the last several drafts but it's been this teams achilles heel now for a long time, fix it once and for all.

15. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Not sure he was ever a "top 10" talent. ILBers just don't get that high very often and alot of that depends of the level of other more desirable positions. This year is deep defensively speaking (DL). The early to late teens historically are where the top ILBers are drafted.

It was a bad game for him and it showed against NFL caliber talent he'll struggle. Getting manhandled by Warmack is one thing but whiffing on several tackles when he's untouched is another. He'll rebound and will have a solid NFL career. If he has slow numbers at the combine and if he doesn't dominate at the senior bowl I'll wager he'll drop into the 20's.

Remember, people down remember ALL the good you do for a long time but they'll rarely forget the ONE wrong you did recently.

Cajun-

16. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Teo is the same guy he was before lasts night game....I think he will go 10-15 like I have said all along. If it was Ansah going up against that Alabama Oline...everyone would be down on him today...saying how he is a project that has a long way to go.......I give Te'o a lot of credit for being in position to whiff on some of those tackles...Everyone of those 5 Alabama Olineman are future NFL pro's....the same cannot be said of ND's front 7

HACK

17. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    okay Hack..would you still take him at 17? I know you like Warmack also...I personally would be super happy with your second mock draft you created..Warmack, and then Amerson

18. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Exactly numbah...to have that many high picks on the OL alone (not to mention the fact if they all pan out and become solid/star players...how the hell can you pay to keep them all)...they cannot neglect other positions on the team, it will hurt them more in the long run. Just like how they neglected the OL for a number of years. But like you said if they do take another OL early...I'll support it/etc...but still.

19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I'm not down on him because of one bad game. I just think he won't be as strong as some think against nfl caliber competition.

20. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i wouldn't be surprised if teo slip in the second , could be another maluaga

21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey Hack I'm liking your idea of picking up Rolo more and more. What would the salaries and contract details be when comparing Teo and Rolo. I think what we are and have been missing is that thumper in the middle and Rolo can fill that need. I also don't think ILB is a smart choice in Rd. 1 when one can be had later. I like the idea of keeping that pick flexible if someone falls.

22. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    If ND had lost just one game this year...they probably are not getting it handed to them by Alabama last night...and without Alabama putting the hurt on them....Everyone is still on the Te'o wont make it to 17 bandwagon.

When he is exactly the same player he has always been.....A guy that missed like 2 tackles all year...missed more than 2 in the first quarter last night....It happens...Guy will still be a solid pro..and yes I would still take him at 17.

McClain probably costs more than Te'o now that they finally got the rookies pay scale in line...but maybe not since he had such a poor showing in Oak.

Rolando and Warmack might be a better pair than Te'o and Colon......but I think Warmack doesn't get past Stl. now...so trade up would still be in order.

HACK

23. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  24. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011

Exactly. Without Brent puffing him up he isnt a household name. What would we say if he played for Rutgers? decent player. What would you say if he played for Alabama? Who is that Hawaiian guy on the bench

25. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Question. Teo better than Bobby Wagner who playing for Seahawks?