1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Teo vs Warmack??

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by cajunyankee, Jan 7, 2013.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Te'o is overrated if he can't tackle college running backs how will he be able to tackle NFL running backs. No way the Steelers take him at #17 the Steelers can't afford to miss on this pick. Take o-lineman, olb, or safety at #17.

2. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Uh....Most of Alabama's starters are NFL bound.

HACK

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

and Teo struggled with NFL Caliber competition. If we stay at 17 Warmack should be the pick, forget Teo.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if we went OL in the 1st, i'd take jones over warmack. warmack may be slightly better at guard but jones can play every position at a very high level. including the two money spots of LT and C. thats my thinking on those two.:cool:

5. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I think Jones lasts till round 2....Warmack goes top 15

HACK

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    better we can trade down ,anyway if warmack is gone and the top pass rusher too , i will try to trade down and pick one beteeen ogletree minter elam bjones if they all are available at 17 one should be available 5 spot later ....we need picks in middle rounds

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the only thing that would keep jones out of rd.1 would be his surgery. he's a top guy at 3 positions. who was the last one to say that? the outland trophey last year at LT without a sack all year may be the most impressive. the rimmington this year is nothing to sneeze at either. i think he'll be hard pressed to miss the 1st rd.:cool:

8. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    i don't understand the teo or warmack issue. the teo backlash aside, linebacker and safety are still the big needs. also the impetus for warmack seems to be that he outplayed a linebacker that everyone now says is no good.

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    he outplayed everybody meet on his way all season in the sec conference

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    You guys are right about the pattern, but you're wrong that it's intentional. Like Hack said, we would have gone defense last year if DeCastro didn't miraculously fall to us. Colbert said as much, and it was well known throughout the league we were taking Hightower. That was the plan. I read Keith Butler was really cranky that DeCastro fell.

Think about how nuts it would be to base your pick on whose turn it is to get their way. It's insane. What if last year had been the defense's turn? Would we have passed on DeCastro? I think you're right that we go defense this year and the pattern continues, but because the defense is what needs the pick.

11. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    After watching some of the olines yesterday I gotta go with warmack. The defense will be there with DL and we can still get a solid lber in the second. Gilbert, warmack, pouncey, decastro, and adams. To me that's one hell of a good young oline. I think Gilbert will make a better my then a rt. Normally defenses put the bigger olb on the left side since most right tackles are the run blocking tackle.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    why is it insane? thats pretty harsh. it does keep balance in your team by doing that. maybe it's not designed, maybe it is. all i know is if they take defense this year, that will be 6 years in a row that they have done it. that's every year MT has been here.

i'm happy as heck they didn't take the overated hightower last year. i was the only one i know that didn't want him. the numbers were not there and it looks like he was about as average as they come year one.

i will also add our defense played pretty well last year. why is it you think they need the pick so bad? we will lose our #1 receiver most likely and our #1 RB most likely. we may lose our LT,LG and RG. we may not have our starting TE ready to begin the season. so with all that i don't see defense as a must pick this year anymore then offense.:cool:

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Thanks for proving my point Te'o struggled against elite competition in college missing tackles and not getting off blocks. In the NFL he will face better competition that's a lot better than Alabama. We need a thumper in the middle not somebody who will get run over.

14. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    True...and NFL LB's never get blocked.

HACK

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Neither if a solid pass rusher falls to #17. We desperately need to find a way to pressure the QB. I think both T'eo and Warmack are worthy of pick #17, but therr will be other quality options later in the draft at those positions.

I haven't studied my pass rushers enough to say exactly which guys I like, and which DEs I think can make the transition to OLB, but I am hearing that a bunch of the Juniors are coming out, which will increase the chance that a top notch pass rusher makes it to #17. The guys that I have studied are Jarvis Jones (really, really good, but undersized) and Chase Thomas (strong, smart, fundamentally sound, but really slow footed). I would take Jones at #17 in a heartbeat, but not Thomas.

16. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I see no way Jones falls farther than 8....and may be top 3.

HACK

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    It depends on who else comes out. The guy from A&M whose name eludes me is much bigger and stronger, and may be viewed as a better pro prospect. He is supposedly coming out. The guy from LSU (Mingo?) is supposed to be a freakish talent. There are other OLBs or DE conversion prospects who may be viewed as more pro ready than Jones because of his small size. He is listed at around 240, but he may be under that.

Remember, there as no way that DeCastro was getting out of the top 15. Bulaga was in the top 10 on every online draftnik's list, and he went low 20's. The list goes on. There's a LONG way to go in the pre-draft process, and a lot can change.

18. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    To me there is really not much that can change....the games are all done.....Really only two guys really "changed" my mind at the combine....Louis Vasquez and Stephen Hill.....Hill caught the ball much better than I thought he would to go with the size and speed....and Vasquez moved better in the lineman drills than almost anyone I have ever watched.

HACK

19. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    do you watch the seniorbowls hack? do they factor in your opinion? just curious

20. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I do....and they do...but its more of a "tweak" I think when you get wrapped up in stuff that happens during the off season you get teams like Jax drafting Matt Jones in the 1st round. I loved Jones....but as a 3rd rounder when only the true draft nerds had even heard of him....and when his hype started going through the roof...I started going with it.... I didn't like the idea of taking him in the first...as I truly felt he was a 3rd round talent....but I got caught up in it just like everyone else. Since then I really try to stick to my guns on guys....Not that I have any pull in the NFL...lol....but more for my own personal "records" LOL Guys that I am right about...vs wrong.

HACK

21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Perhaps to you there's not much that can change, but I can assure you that the guys making career defining decisions for NFL teams are going to gather whatever information they can on every player that interests them between now and late April. While I would also predict a Top 5 to Top 10 slot for Jones, there are questions related to him and his competition that will be sorted out over the next few months. For Jones, there are two key questions: 1) Does he have the size and strength to be an every down 3-4 OLB in the NFL. I think he does, but if he ends up being 230 instead of 240, it will cause some folks to wonder whether he might be the latest college superstar to not be quite up to the NFL superstar level. 2) More importantly, teams will need to poke and prod at Jones medically and determine how much of a concern they have over his spinal stenosis diagnosis that got him dropped from the USC team.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...s-jones-long-journey-back-field-espn-magazine

Also important for Jones' draft position will be his competition at the 3-4 OLB position. That competition will be mainly conversion guys who have played most or all of their careers out of a 3 point stance. The post season workouts will give scouts their first look at how fluid some of these guys can be dropping into coverage. Guys like Damontre Moore from A&M (and maybe Mingo from LSU) could jump over Jones between now and the draft due if they show big time potential.

The post season events such as the combine, physicals, pro days, background investigations, individual workouts and all star bowl practices should and do have some significance. Otherwise, the NFL and the teams would not lay out all of the cash that it costs to do that stuff. Do I think there's a big chance that Jones will be there at 17? Nope. Is there a chance? Yes, and if he's there I take him without hesitation if he clears medical evaluation.

What I will be doing is looking hard at any film I can get on Moore, Mingo and other conversion guys. There are a lot of solid pass rushers in this draft, and while Jones will probably be gone, there will likely be a pass rusher or two worthy of pick 17 available when we're on the clock.

22. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I agree they do it because they get information out of it....but it should be the icing on the cake..and not the cake...and since none of us really know the process that occurs in the interview part....all we can go on is game tape....how a guy runs in shorts is just not as important as game film for us novice scout wannabes

HACK

23. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Speed vs football speed

24. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I rarely disagree with you, but this is one instance. I don't think it's that crazy to alternate first round picks because, as Mac-D stated, it should provide better balance to the overall roster build. The higher the pick, the less you can follow that, but with where we have been picking the past few years the talent all starts to meld together and it's a lot easier to alternate. I don't disagree with you denying it's intentional for us (I thought the pattern extended farther back than 2006), but I wouldn't consider it bad practice.