1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

team re signing Shazier

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Jan 24, 2019.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I remember reading something about it after the draft, the way the article worded it made me wonder.

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I found the article. I'm not sure what I was thinking at the time I read it, it's pretty clearly speculation.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13582322-74/tim-benz-steelers-moves-quizzical-on-draft-day

"Then there's that trade of Bryant. A third-round pick came back to Pittsburgh for him from Oakland. The first reaction was that the Steelers were going to try to use that chip as an extra piece to move up in the draft to get either Evans or Vander Esch."

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    But did everyone else who passed on Leonard reach for a player who was rated lower?

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    But, but, we had vince.:cool:

5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    As if any other team wouldn't do this.
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    They better draft a 1 or 2 on ilb still even if he makes a return

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Steelers kept paying AB more and more money for his performance. They made LB the highest paid running back in the league by 4 million, and those two dickweeds still ruined this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm impressed with how well the Steelers did without Bell actually. He pretty much was a non-factor this year as the running game was never the problem. << think we had one game where we had trouble moving on the ground due to Conner's injury.

the issue was the defense for a portion, penalties, poor special teams, and inopportune turnovers.

I do get a kick out of how much the Steelers did for both of these players and how much they've spat on the organization taking it for granted.

People pretend like Le'veon, for example wasn't offered the largest RB salary in the league. Oh well he'll be gone soon playing at Miami or something.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Leonard was projected 2nd-3rd rd.

Everyone passed him over, bottom line.

10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I hope you are right about his recovery but I don't think he should return to play for the following reasons:
    1. Its not smart and is very dangerous to potentially be paralyzed permanently
    2. He would still be valuable to have around as an inspiration and locker room leadership
    3. Doubt we get anywhere near a SB while he did return to play so why bother
    4. If he did get hurt again, God forbid, it will start years more of BS excuses why out defense is horrible.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Everyone but the Steelers had him rated higher than Edmunds. He's an All-Pro while Edmunds only started as a rookie because Burnett can't stay healthy and the best thing we can say about Edmunds is what exactly? He didn't suck quite as much as Artie Burns?

The bottom line is the Steelers made a huge mistake in passing on Leonard to draft Edmunds, one that probably cost them a playoff berth and set the defense back significantly.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, not everyone had him rated higher, plenty had Edmunds ranked in the second rd which is where Leonard went.

Steelers passed him over, so did everyone else. You're trying to make this like the Steelers were the only ones who missed on him. I'm sure a lot of teams would like to do that one over. Anyone who would have taken him in the first would have been reaching. Colts were ripped for drafting him in the 2nd for crying out loud. It's easy to say in hindsight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Just curious here, but what do you like about the Steelers? Anything?

• Winner Winner x 3
  14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He doesn't make the top 28 linebacker list here https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-ranking-the-lb-prospects-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

No love from Mike Mayock http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...e-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-position-rankings-30

Mel Kiper doesn't have him listed in the top 10 https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/mel-kipers-top-10-prospects-position-2018-nfl/story?id=52263598

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darius-leonard?id=32462018-0002-5598-185a-4784aff66bfa

So yep they all missed on him.

15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I would be more enthusiastic if they would sign a FA player that was going to play this year, it's not any priority to sign a guy who is probably never going to play again...

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They're just trying to lower the pitchforks and torches right now....

17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I like the team as a whole. Wish we had a better coach. Never been a fan of the Rooney worship that goes on in this city like they're kings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They are revered throughout the league, not just a fan thing. Art ll needs to prove his metal but questioning Dan and Art senior is pretty absurd.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    You have to adapt as time changes.Dan and Art senior and the organization was well respected in their time.Unfortunately Art the second hasn’t kept up with the times!How about signing some high profile free agents once in a while instead of middle of the road players at best?Stop hiring in house coaches just because they were once good players?How about holding the head coach responsible for all the Kayos that’s been happening to the team lately?How about not being content with just making the playoffs with the talent we have or had for a while now?Love the Steelers but how come most people on this board can see most of the major problems with the organization.This coming from admittedly an arm chair qb!

• Like Like x 1
  20. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Yes, let him take Joey Porters place

21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Revered throughout the league by other owners really doesn't mean much to me. Roger Goodell is revered throughout the league too. Art struck gold with Chuck Noll and the problem is that Dan and Art II think/thought that history is gonna keep repeating itself so just hire one coach and stick with him forever. Their policies are antiquated. Let's not forget that for decades the NFL looked the other way from the Rooney's gambling interests despite it being in violation of league policies. Finally in the 2000's they made them cut ties with any members of the family involved in sports gambling if they wanted to remain owners. Despite that I'm not saying they're terrible people, they're too stuck in their old ways and it's costing this franchise.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    NFL is now embracing gambling. Until a team wins their 6th, the Rooneys are still the gold standard.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Of course they are. Mo money, mo money, mo money! And get this, more of a chance to throw games! A call here, a call there. Tell me this, how did you feel about those 2 pass interference calls against Haden against Orleans? In which were not. Then they get hosed! I will hold a speck of hope that they will make pass interference and roughing the passer challengeable. Guess who doesn't agree with this? That right, ol Popcorn Tomlin. Tell me the brutal calls in both championship games didn't effect the outcome. Wait until the Super Bowl. If they even breath on the golden boy flags will be a flyin. Pathetic.

24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    .....so about 6 more days

25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Lol well geez there's no conflict of interest there at all now is there? Let's bring back all the Rooney's then.