1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

team captains

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jul 7, 2012.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    who's your pick for captains? we lost a couple. i'm going ben offense. harrison defense. mundy special teams. :cool:

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My personal picks would be Miller and Troy for offense and defense. Special teams is tricky, because we haven't had someone who really deserved it lately. Battle was fine, and experienced, but not even our best special teamer. I like Mundy a lot on special teams and I don't know why he doesn't get more credit there. I think that's a fine choice. Another good pick would be Curtis Brown who looked awesome last year before getting hurt, but I think he has to be around a little longer before getting that honor. Worilds would be another good choice.

Miller and Troy are both quiet, lead-by-example leaders, which is actually my favorite type of leader. Harrison fits into that mold too, even though he's not so quiet in magazine articles or on twitter. If you're going for the more vocal type, then Ben and Pouncey are both good choices, with Ben having way more seniority. It would also be a good vote of confidence to select Ben, so I guess he's my more realistic pick. I think selecting Harrison would be a wonderful message of support for the way he plays.

mac, I think I agree with you 100%!

3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Timmons for the defense. Ben will be captain on the offense. Special teams is tricky. Everyone is so young. Mundy would be nice. I think he deserves it

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I also like your picks Mac.

5. TwentyFourSeven

TwentyFourSeven Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Being the best on the team at something doesn't mean you deserve to be captain. Captain status just shows you have leadership and you'll be on the field enough to lead these guys. That being said, I'm glad you threw out a few suggestions because I would not have known where to start with special teams. I think Mundy and/or Worilds would be great. I also like your picks for offense (Miller & Pouncey) and I think Ben will probably get it as well. I think on defense Ryan Clark would be a good choice, although i know he's not playing the first game.

6. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I would go with Ben and Pouncey on O.....Keisel and Foote on D.....and Brandon Johnson on ST

reasons being Ben is the leader of this whole team...and has always shown leadership and heart on the field

Pouncey is the young gun on the line who makes all the calls and will show the others how to prepare

Keisel is the vet who has worked hard to go from 7th round pick to starter...again hard work and preparation

Foote is being handed the keys to the car again, and is taking the leadership role that entails

and I feel Brandon Johnson is going to make this team better as backup LB and ST ace.

HACK

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd go with Ben, Foote and Mundy.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    alot depends on how much foote is going to play. the dot will have some say. i just wonder who will get the second dot on defense as the backup? foote may not be a bad choice though. :cool:

9. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I get that Foote is in Farrior's spot, and he's the inside linebacker, and he's been here a long time (sort of). And I get that he's a vocal leader. But depending on how our CB situation shakes out, he'll definitely be either our single worst starter on defense, or the second worst. He's not even guaranteed a starting spot, and there's no guarantee that he'll keep it if he gets it. He's probably at the top of Colbert's list for guys to replace out of the entire team. To me that would be like re-signing Max Starks, having him compete at LT, and voting him captain. Even if he wins the starting spot, it just seems so... lame. He can have the green dot and be the "leader" guy that way, but we have Keisel, Harrison, Troy, Clark, Ike, and some other guys I'd put ahead of Foote.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he did get it.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Being a great athlete and great leader aren't inclusive to one another. You can be a great leader without being the best player on the team. I like him for the very reasons you listed. it takes a certain quality to lead, I think Foote possess that. I'll admit that it could be weird having him as a captain if he isn't starting though. Clark I think can be one. Harrison I think it too volatile, Keisel and Troy can lead by example for sure but I think they are not vocal enough and lack true leadership capabilities. I don't really have an opinion about Ike for that role, just doesn't seem like one to me though.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Being a great athlete and great leader aren't inclusive to one another. You can be a great leader without being the best player on the team. I like him for the very reasons you listed. it takes a certain quality to lead, I think Foote possess that. I'll admit that it could be weird having him as a captain if he isn't starting though. Clark I think can be one. Harrison I think it too volatile, Keisel and Troy can lead by example for sure but I think they are not vocal enough and lack true leadership capabilities. I don't really have an opinion about Ike for that role, just doesn't seem like one to me though.[/quote:2grpc0kv]

i think keisel has great leadership qualities and he's been showing it more of late since the past leaders are slowly leaving. he's just never had to with so many others here at the time. whomever has the dot besides foote will be getting alot of playing time. one of them has to be on the field. i don't see foote as a full time starter anymore and this may be his last. they could throw him a bone though but i really don't think he is the guy for the job, but you never know. :cool:

12. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Being a great athlete and great leader aren't inclusive to one another. You can be a great leader without being the best player on the team. I like him for the very reasons you listed. it takes a certain quality to lead, I think Foote possess that. I'll admit that it could be weird having him as a captain if he isn't starting though. Clark I think can be one. Harrison I think it too volatile, Keisel and Troy can lead by example for sure but I think they are not vocal enough and lack true leadership capabilities. I don't really have an opinion about Ike for that role, just doesn't seem like one to me though.[/quote:2gmuv9hb]
    Well, I'm not on Foote's case because he's not a great athlete. Plenty of guys aren't great athletes. I'm on his case because he's not a great player. He's not even a good player. He's been real hit or miss his entire career (lots of miss), and I honestly don't know what we'll get form him this season. I think there's a possibility he'll be better in 2012 than 2011 with more reps and more comfort, but frankly he was never good enough to begin with. And he looked very bad at times last year.

I'm not sure the captain label needs to go to the vocal leader. Why do they have to be the same person? Do Foote's words become less valid without a captain badge? I think the captain should be who best represents the team, who deserves it most, who other players should emulate, and who can take care of the team in whatever way necessary. I've never been the rah-rah type myself but I understand other people are like that... what I don't understand is the type of person that actually requires rah-rah to be lead or motivated. I would probably follow Troy Polamalu off a cliff and I never even met the man. To me, if you can't be motivated to 100% by that guy (or Aaron Smith, or Heath Miller, or James Harrison, any other silent beasts), then what the hell are you doing?

Even so, my complaining about it isn't going to get better, but I don't see why they couldn't find neutral ground and land on a good strong starter with experience, time logged with the team, intelligence, character, and rah-rah vocal "leadership" to boot. Clark and Keisel both fit that mold to me. Harrison's got it all except I think he's the quiet type, but I'd love that selection as an endorsement of the way he plays. FU, NFL.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the thing about the captains is he's the guy that will let the refs know what we decide on the penalties. so he has to be on the field for that. thats were my trouble with foote is and how much playing time he see's this year. he's not just a vocal leader. he has a job to do as a captain on the field. i've never been a big foote fan. he was brought here as a backup and cowher threw him in as a starter and never replaced him with another starter. timmons finaly got that nod with tomlin and we relied on farrior for the rest, again foote was back where he belonged at backup. foote to me is nothing more than an insurance policy. keisel stayed patient and worked his tail off to get where he is today. the players like and respect keisel. he could be a good captain. harrison though , i believe is in that same mold. he worked and stayed with it to become what he is. the rest of the players know it and see it from both keisel and harrison. JH isn't as much of a loose cannon as alot of people around the league think. he just means business, when it's business time. :cool:

14. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I was never high on Foote...but lets get something straight fellas....he will start every game this year unless he gets inured.....and its not even in question.

HACK

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Being a leader is someone who inspires men to be better, it's an intangible quality, you have it or you don't. Doesn't matter how good or bad a player he is, how good or bad he is at giving rah rah speeches, you either want to follow this person or you don't. Anyway, this is all speculation by all of us because none of us know these men on a personal level. Anyone of there guys could be great leaders, we are just using our built in radar to determine which ones we think are.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    http://pit.scout.com/2/1201233.html

yes it is in question hack. :cool:

17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, you already know that it most l,ikely will not go to one of the DL's...They end up with their hands down too much to see everything. It will be one of the ILB's most likely Timmons as I think he was calling some plays last year and the year before. Troy and Clark are too busy freelancing to worry about the entire D-fense.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i do agree, it won't be a d-lineman. i'm sticking with my original assesment ben,harrison,mundy, but timmons is a possibility. :cool:

19. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

I will be amazed if it comes to be.....but lets keep in mind....it was football in shorts.......and the one thing that stood out from that article is

Timmons, Woodley, Troy, Hood, Heyward, ...None of them sniffed the starting lineup without injury....Last time a rookie started was 2001 with Hampton and Kendrell Bell.....I don't expect a 3rd round LB to come in and just start .....I would love to be proved wrong.....but until it happens...it aint happening.

HACK

20. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    With the confindence I have in Foote, or the lack there of as a starter...I hope you are proved wrong too Hack. I don't wish anyone to be wrong too often but this is certainly one of those times. I do enjoy reading about these new players. I kind of get a warm fuzzy about their potential!

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it doesn't have to necessarily be the rookie either. sylvester had the ota's and mini camp that he missed last year. if one of the others are not starting by mid season, we are in trouble for next year anyway. foote isn't the longterm answer. :cool:

22. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm not only doubting sly has a chance to start, but I'm not sure he even makes the roster at this point

HACK

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    like they say you have to prove it on special teams first and i think sly picked that part of his game up last year, but no ota's and mini camp didn't help him along. i think he will be a better player then we think right now. we have some good LB'ers though not named larry. i just don't think he starts all year. remember back when rooney said he'd like to see them bring along the younger players quicker and the emergence of alot of young stars, i think the old mindset they had is changing quickly. butler changed his tune pretty quick about it and camp hasen't started yet. i think that speaks volumes. with spence looking good and the addition of johnson and ivy still coming along and hicks making them take a little notice, i have to wonder if larry makes it. though i'm sure he will, but i hope they don't just keep him and let a good young talent go because of it. :cool:

24. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes Butler is talking up Spence...but you have to remember...he talks up Foote every chance he gets as well.

Timmons and Foote are your starters in 2012....Would not be surprised to see Johnson in the hunt before Sly and Spence as a full time backup.

HACK