1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TE

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Da Stellars, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I definitely see Steelers grabbing a TE, possibly early in the draft. Are there any future Gronk/Hernandez type guys in this draft?

2. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Two guys I like...

Ladarius Green, Louisiana-Lafayette
    A very athletic pass-catcher will probably go in round 3 or 4. He's almost more WR than TE because he's so skinny. Needs to add some bulk at the next level for sure. At 6'6 he'd be a great red zone target.

Evan Rodriguez, Temple
    Rodriguez is versatile and may be another H-back tweener type in the NFL. I think he's probably a 5th rounder. Steve Addazio (head coach at Temple) was a TE coach and eventual OC at Florida when Aaron Hernandez was there, and used Rodriguez in the same manner at Temple as Hernandez moving him all around the field to take advantage of his blocking and receiving skills. He lacks great speed but is a good all around player.

3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    TE early? I don't think we will see it. Miller is still stellar. Saunders is going to be good after he gets back from his 4 game suspension. Johnson will have some competition brought in. I don't see it as a big need for us. OT, OG, NT, and ILB are our needs.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we just added will johnson. FB/Hback/TE. from wvu. tomlin had him signed after seeing him at wvu pro day. DJ's days may be numbered. will johnson went undrafted last year from wvu. he's a worker. MT was very impressed. :cool:

5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Adrien Robinson, TE, Cincinnati: It's a shame Adrien Robinson wasn't invited to the Combine because he would have been the biggest winner out of all the tight ends. In addition to the numbers posted above, he notched an 11-3 broad jump. Robinson caught just 12 balls (three touchdowns) in his only season as a starter at Cincinnati, so he's really raw. He could generate interest in the late rounds because of his potential and athleticism, however.

Via Walterfootball.com. 6' 4", 264. 4.55 40.

6. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm gonna keep saying it even though people disagree... Saunders is a goner. DJ is meh. We could def use a good backup TE.

7. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Coby Fleener, most definitely. Mix in a hint of Jimmy Graham for good measure. Not sure about any others as I haven't spent much time researching TE's.

8. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am not an NBA fan at all, but every time I see Blake Griffin, I see a guy who would be unstopable as a TE...

9. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Reading the weekly updated Walter Football mock draft, and came across this little nugget as our second option for our first pick (as opposed to drafting Hightower):

2. Coby Fleener, TE - E-mailer Kevin B. brought up this suggestion to me, and I like it. Fleener now fits this range in the wake of his great Pro Day performance. The injury-prone Heath Miller has been a big disappointment. Fleener would be a great intermediate option for Ben Roethlisberger.

Ummmmmm, Heath Miller, an injury-prone disappointment? That may be the most ridiculous piece of info written about Heath Miller, ever.

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Hey, it's a matter of opinion. Personally, I've always been disappointed with Daniel Sepulveda's performance, but at least he makes up for it with his Cal Ripkin-like ability to stay on the field.

What an idiot.

11. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    He must be thinking of someone else. Heath has only missed 5 starts in his entire 7 year career.

12. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Why do you think Saunders will be gone?

13. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I'd like to keep him, and I'm not saying he's gone, but one reason to suggest that he will be is that he's going to be suspended for 4 games this year.

Johnson is not meh. He is not a weapon and not a blocker. He has no purpose. We are playing with 10.5 players when he is in the game.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It's funny how many people place a lot of stock in Walter Football's evaluations. They have missed on evaluations more than just about anyone out there. I read Walter's prospect ratings for a chuckle now and then. Heath Miller a disappointment? I guess if all someone does is look at stats, they might say that. Of course, if all someone does is look at stats, they have no business running anything other than a fantasy football website.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    oh i think it will be a johnson, but not the same johnson we had. i don't think saunders goes anywhere either. :cool:

16. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm gonna keep saying it even though people disagree... Saunders is a goner. DJ is meh. We could def use a good backup TE.

Why do you think Saunders will be gone?

I'd like to keep him, and I'm not saying he's gone, but one reason to suggest that he will be is that he's going to be suspended for 4 games this year.

:shrug:

Didn't Saunders' "substance abuse" come form a medication he was taking? I'll have to look it up, but I believe it was for ADD or something? I think a WR with the Rams went through the same thing. Was it a dumb mistake to take a medication with out making sure it's okay with NFL guidelines? Sure, but it's hardly worth dumping a kid with a lot of potential.

17. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    It's funny how many people place a lot of stock in Walter Football's evaluations. They have missed on evaluations more than just about anyone out there. I read Walter's prospect ratings for a chuckle now and then. Heath Miller a disappointment? I guess if all someone does is look at stats, they might say that. Of course, if all someone does is look at stats, they have no business running anything other than a fantasy football website.[/quote:3qq6izbg]
    He also has Fleener going to the 49ers. His reason?

"Umm... did I forget about Vernon Davis? No. Jim Harbaugh loves utilizing multiple tight ends in his offense. If you don't think this can work, let me refer you to the Patriots. I'd say Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez complement each other rather well."

Umm, I guess he DID forget about Delaney Walker, arguably the best second tight end in the NFL. Davis and Walker are an elite receiving tandem. For those of you not familiar with Walker, I can tell you that drafting Fleener to complement Davis and give them a "multiple tight end offense" would be like the Steelers drafting a WR in the first round to complement Wallace to finally give them a second receiving threat.

And Miller isn't a disappointment even if all you do care about is stats. It's ludicrous for every reason. Sometimes I don't know what this guy is doing. How could you be this wrong?

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

"Umm... did I forget about Vernon Davis? No. Jim Harbaugh loves utilizing multiple tight ends in his offense. If you don't think this can work, let me refer you to the Patriots. I'd say Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez complement each other rather well."

Umm, I guess he DID forget about Delaney Walker, arguably the best second tight end in the NFL. Davis and Walker are an elite receiving tandem. For those of you not familiar with Walker, I can tell you that drafting Fleener to complement Davis and give them a "multiple tight end offense" would be like the Steelers drafting a WR in the first round to complement Wallace to finally give them a second receiving threat.

And Miller isn't a disappointment even if all you do care about is stats. It's ludicrous for every reason. Sometimes I don't know what this guy is doing. How could you be this wrong?[/quote:3kza3pwg]

i just love the way he tries to punish tacklers after the catch. i really think haley is going to make heath become a highlight reel. i'm looking forward to it. :cool:

19. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

And Miller isn't a disappointment even if all you do care about is stats. It's ludicrous for every reason. Sometimes I don't know what this guy is doing. How could you be this wrong?[/quote:1v1g5ep4]

i just love the way he tries to punish tacklers after the catch. i really think haley is going to make heath become a highlight reel. i'm looking forward to it. :cool:[/quote:1v1g5ep4]
    Agreed. Unless he is running a route, Heath is punishing defenders no matter what's going on. It's what he does. In studying him, it looks like defenses can't stand him. He is very frustrating to play against for a game. I'm glad Haley says he was most impressed with Heath out of everyone. That is correct.