1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TE in round 2?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelByDesign, Mar 1, 2012.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I actually saw a mock draft today with us taking Coby Fleener in the first round... I was open minded until I read the analysis and the guy claimer that "Heath Miller is done." Not likely.

However I was reaching a chat earlier this week... I think it was Dulac, said he thought there were a couple of tight ends that would fit the range in round 2... which I agree with, and he said he wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers took one in round 2-4... What are your guys' thoughts on that?

I'm thinking they grab one in 3 or 4 but 2 is too early for my taste (Aaron Hernandez was a 4th rounder). Would you be interested in Dwayne Allen or Orson Charles in round 2 if they're there?

2. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    None before round 4.

3. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I would not be upset if the Steelers took Fleener in round 1, as long as we get a guard in round 2 and a defensive lineman in round 3..

4. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I guess I could agree with that (although I'd rather it be guard then ILB)... but it's hard to guarantee something like that.

5. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

WHY? Why would someone be happy with this? I mean serious? Nothing against Fleener...but wow...that would be TERRIBLE.

6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    When we took Heath, he was a top 20 who fell due to surgery. When we took Mendenhall, he was considered by some to be the top RB in the draft, but fell for who knows what reason. We won't reach on a TE inthe first, Fleener or anyone, who doesn't have first round potential, and none of this years TE's has potential higher than pick 32. If that.
    Too many needs, especially once we're through cutting everyone who's going to get cut.
    Fleener in 2? only one I would consider, and then only if I'm drinking scotch.

7. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I never said I would be happy..I said I would not be upset. I would be okay with that choice.

I would be ecstatic if we get Poe, but I don't think we will get him.
    I would be very happy if we get a stud guard or tackle in the first round, but I think the front office will get Hightower.
    I would be okay with Hightower in the 1st round.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    why so terrible? if the o-linemen we want are gone , i could see us grab a receiver. looks like we may be needing some. two TE sets in haley's offense may help run the ball better. hines our best blocking WR is gone. the kid did average over 16 yds a catch in college. gilbert may need a TE to help out on the left side. there are alot of reasons this wouldn't be totally out of the question or terrible. big target in the redzone. saunders out for the 1st 4 games next year. he and heath could become a dynamic duo from the TE spot. it depends who's off the board at that point. maybe he's our 2nd pick in round 1. :shrug: :cool:

9. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I agree w/mac-D, Fleener MAY be the most talented player left on the board when we pick, and we could pull another Mendy situation and draft him.

10. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    I hope not. Not that I dont like him ( Fleener) but there are needs on the L O S. I like how the Texans O Line and D line both dominated the Ravens in the playoffs. Plus since most NFL teams are going pass, pass pass. Maybe Rooney is right. Run run run. Let everyone pass over great blocking TE's and great run blocking lineman, drives the price down. Start pounding teams and keeping their offenses off the field. I think they have to seel the running game. Ben is a great PA passer. He is more effective with balance.

OT, OG, NT, ILB, WR (could end up going a bit to the left on this list in a few weeks), FB (?), K, and S could all use a player and/or depth.
    Plus, I cant wait till the boards mock starts tomorrow. Then to see how we all do when the real deal hits in about 2 months.