1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Talent or Coaching?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MeanJoeBlue, Jan 14, 2019.

1. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Every so often, someone posts that the Steeler's coaching is substandard, as they don't have more success with the talent the team has. But how do people judge how much talent the team has, except by the success the team has? If the Steelers don't have more talent than most other teams, then doesn't the team doing well mean that the coaching has done well? I don't know the answer. But it might be worth it to discuss this, instead of people making assumptions about the talent level.

It is only one team, but let's look at the Chargers. As long as Ben has been with the Steelers, the Chargers have also had a HOF-level QB on their team (Brees or Rivers). Look at the last 10 years (2009-present). The Chargers have reached the playoffs 3 times, while the Steelers have made it 6 times. For the last 10 drafts, the Chargers average 1st round pick (14.2) is ten spots higher than the Steelers (24.2). The Steelers highest pick over that span was at 15 (Shazier), while the Chargers had a 3, 7, 11, 12, and a 15. Seems like the Chargers have a lot more talent, but haven't achieved as much.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    A2C4F955-3B64-4C61-BB28-652966D7A8FC.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    Look man, coaching is like the mechanic on a race team. You can be dale ernhardt or Michael Schumacher or the most talented driver in history but if your mechanic sets you up in a 1990 kia with bald tires your ain’t doing crap.

The Steelers have one of the most talented rosters in the league for decades. If the game was based on pure skill without teamwork or direction I’m taking our players vs almost anyone. Too bad we need coaches to scheme and play in football. Belichick, Reid, pondexter whatever that goofball in phill name is or Sean Payton are playing chess. Tomlin is playing jenga. There is not strategy in jenga, you poke crap until the whole thing fails down, maybe you get lucky and aren’t the reason it falls down but the game always ends with the crap falling down

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Let's put it another way. How many Super Bowls would Belichek win with this roster? Its either no more than Tomlin because New England has had better players or a ton because of the coaching. I would choose the latter.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    But that is the basic question: how are you determining that the Steelers have one of the most talented rosters? There are some vocal fans who think the GM is terrible at picking talent, and that the team doesn't get big names in free agency. That would suggest a less talented roster.

Belichek is among the best coaches of all time, in spite his desire to cheat whenever possible. By your standard (compare to Belichek), 31 out of 32 coaches in the league would fail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Da_Cranberry

Jan 22, 2018
    QB- Ben is top 5 every year
    WR- ab, Wallace, plex, juju, ward, holmes, just keep going, all top 10 maybe 5
    TE- heath, outlaw top 10
    OL- top 5
    Rb- top 3-5 every year. Bell, Parker, mendhall
    LB- Harrison, shazier, farrier, Foote, woodley, just keep going top 5
    Safety- Troy top 5 I consider one of the best ever

Top 5-10 I almost every category. Look at how many pro bowlers every year

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Outlaw top 10?

8. Da_Cranberry

Jan 22, 2018
    I'm a little biased, I think he has great potential. He does have a position value of 7/10 though.

9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    He spelled bottom wrong

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    7 out of 10...He sucks! They've been trying to replace him for years...1st scrambled eggs Ladarius Green, then traded for an oft injured McDonald...He doesn't even start, and won't be around next year imo

11. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    It’s coaching and drafting.Obviously we’ve had the talent on offense the last 5 years.Wasn’t Tomlin a defensive back coach?Why have the Steelers whiffed in the Defensive backfield so badly in the draft since the Tomlin era?