1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tailgating

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chris C, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Chris C

Chris C Member

Feb 26, 2019
    Hey all,

Newbie to the forum here. I'll be coming over from the U.K for my first steelers game in november (vs the browns) and had some questions about the game day experience.

first question and apologies if this seems dumb but do you need to arrive by car to be allowed into the parking lot to get involved with the tailgating? We're only in Pit for the weekend so wont be hiring a car but I'd quite like to walk around and meet some fellow fans.

secondly how early do people get to games before they start? the game is a 4.25 kick off on sunday if that makes any difference?

also if anyone has any "must dos" that'd be great. We've not got anything planned but from searches on the forum I think the plan will be to get the boat over and start early on the rolling rocks!

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Welcome. You will get plenty of helpful advice from many of the board members shortly and there is a sticky at the top of the forum with things to do and see in Pittsburgh that has lots and lots of info. When you aren't in the States for a game and feel like being up way too early join us in the game day thread, loads of fun.

3. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    1) No car needed, everyone can walk through the parking lot.... and as long as you are wearing Steelers gear.... most are friendly and will be more than happy to entertain out-of-towners
    2) Festivities start as early as you'd like. 1pm games will have 8am breakfast, 4:25 games I'd head down there still in the morning to get a seat in a bar to watch some early games

4. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    4:25 games are brutal if you know what I mean. ;)

:drinks:

There's a lot of time to kill and you end up like this......:tequila:

• Like Like x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Just uber from the place you're staying at... If you're close enough just walk to it. We stayed at union station and just walked to the game and walked back drunk and all good times.

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Wouldn't be surprised if they flex that game if both teams are performing well enough.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You state November.

The Steelers play at Cleveland November 14.

Cleveland plays at Pittsburgh December 1.

Make sure you are at the right stadium.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Good point. I tried to read the convoluted flex rules and I believe CBS has the right to keep games but have to say so 6 weeks in advance. Otherwise the NFL only has to say so 12 days in advance. I read this quickly, and I’m falling asleep. CBS May want to keep it.

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    That happened to us at the San Diego game Sunday night. Made for a rough trip home as we got in at 1:30 and had to leave at 3:30 to catch our flight... Miss my 20's hahahahahahha

11. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Ferry ride...best part of the trip. Oh, and fellow Steelers. And the stadium. And the team. And the bars (as long as you are wearing Steeler's gear). Man, I need to return for a home game!!!

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    50,000 plus of your closest friends will be there waiting for you.:cool:

13. Chris C

Chris C Member

Feb 26, 2019
    Thanks for the replies folks, very helpful. And yes JEH - got my dates slightly wrong as we're flying out in November but the game is on the first, dont worry Im at the right game! :thumbs_up:

Im quite keen to get the ferry over, its in a lot of peoples "must dos" but from the info I can see it says that the shuttle starts 3 hours prior to game time so I think i'll just try and get the first one over. Does anyone have any recommendations for bars to watch the early games? also is there any after game bars that people can recommend? would be fun to keep the party going! :drinks:

14. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Uber after the game will be expensive and possibly a long wait. We ride the Clipper over to the field, drops you off right at the gate. Pay $10 for parking at the parking garage right next to it.

There is also the "T" (subway) that you can ride for free. Some hotels will drop you off and pick you up at "T" spots. BUT there is a cut off as to when they stop picking you up. So after the game could leave you without a ride. We did the "T" thing once and actually tipped the driver very well the 3 days we were there. He had made his last stop for the night but he had given us his personal cell phone number. He turned around and came back to pick us up.

Ride the Incline, its worth it for the view.

Go to Station Square.

Primanti Brothers in the Strip District is a must. I love the Ragin Cajun chicken. Be prepared to get some "all in fun" heckling if you order the sub without the slaw or fries on it or on the side.

Strip district has some great shops with awesome Steeler gear.

Bettis Grill is worth the experience since you are coming from the UK.

Stand on the spot where the Immaculate Reception was caught.

Steeler fans are the greatest in the world....as long as you arent wearing a Brown's jersey. I found out real fast how much hatred there is between the Steelers and the Browns. It was also my 1st game back in 05.

15. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'll let you know as we get closer. I tailgate for almost all the games, I would imagine I would for that one as well.

But park downtown and walk over or get an Uber ride close to the tailgate action.

Tailgating in ALCO lots and garages (run by the Pittsburgh Parking authority) will not open until 5 hours prior to game time, and the mean 5 hours prior to game time. So, if it's 4:25 they won't let you in until 11:25 and not a minute sooner.

If it's an independent run lot, a lot of them let fans tailgate as well and they will let people in as early 7-8 hours before a kickoff. Just depends if they got some one there running the lot.

16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Clipper will drop you off at Gate A. Short walking distance to your right. You can just walk into the tailgates. There's also Stage AE which is like an official Steelers tailgate. They have music, cornhole, games for kids, decent beer, Steelers Pope will be walking around. Bettis' will be right there on the right but nothing special imo. It will be packed. I'd walk down to Southern Tier, best beer and food in that area. If you take the first clipper over should have no issue getting a table.

You could go to Fat Heads for the early games. It's on the south side and like 5 minute drive to the clipper. I'm basing most of this on you liking good beer and food. If you really don't care about that then you can hit up any bar on the South Side for bud light or whatever and short drive to clipper. Then go straight to tailgates or Stage AE.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019