1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tailgating?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by beastlyqb7, Jan 5, 2012.

1. beastlyqb7

beastlyqb7 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Okay this will be my first steelers game and we are planning on tailgating. Never done this before. Any tips? If the game is At 2:30 what time do you get there to tailgate?

Thanks

2. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    get a high quality fake I.D. ... ;)

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Bring enough food and beer for no less than 5-6 extra people. Always good to treat a fellow fan you meet.

Get to the parking lot early... as early as it opens. Plan on at least 2 full meals, or all day grazing. Whichever you prefer.

Only cook what you plan to eat on the grill. Cook as you go. Keep everything else chilled.

Have one cooler separate for you meat. It should be thawed a day ahead and kept packed in ice. If you plan on grilling chicken, parboil it the night before and chill. The LAST thing you want is an unexpected bout of salmonella in the third quarter.

Forget hotdogs. That's for rookies. Cook sausage links instead. What kind? Go nuts. You can't really go wrong. (But Sweet Italian and/or beer brats are always clutch)

Don't forget cups, paper plates, utensils, etc. And bring trash bags. Be a good guest and clean up after yourself. You're representing Steeler Nation.

Bring lawn chairs. If you start at say... 8 a.m., you're going to want to sit eventually. ;)

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    dont forget the big screen to watch the first game and the corn hole game for the kids and has anyone mentioned BEER?

5. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    My kind of tailgater, truly an expert! :)

6. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'll be tailgating in my garage.

7. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I have been to Investco Field for like 4 or 5 games. It is an awesome tailgating atmosphere. Some really pimped out high dollar get up for sure! Have been for 3 Steelers games as well. There will be plenty of black and gold comrads to team up with. Key to tailgating as mentioned earlier is to bring more than you think you will need. Nothing worse than running out. Bring stuff that is relatively easy to pack up tho. Gametime approaches quicker than you think. Have fun!

8. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Good advice D! You have done this a time or two. I can tell.

One thing you forgot. A chilled bottle of Trace or Rare. One or two bumps for everyone(dont go overboard here).Just a little body warmer pre game.ENJOY!!! :herewego: :herewego: :herewego:

9. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    You guys have fun at the game and represent the rest of us Steelers fans who can be there!

10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    :roflmao: How could I be so remiss?

A few other things I forgot. If you're doing sausages, parboil those also the night before. Not that you have to worry about them being cooked all the way through. But it makes cooking them much faster, and they'll stay juicier. All you really need out of the grill is that good carmelization. (sp?)

You can also sautee onions and peppers the day before. Wrap them in aluminum foil, and just pop the foil on the grill to reheat them (with just a touch of butter or olive oil so they don't dry out). Just don't cook them to death on the day before. They should still have just a bit of crunch to them.

If you're doing chilli, you can always go pro and get a bunch of 2 day old smaller loaves of good crusty bread. Cut them in half, and hollow them out. Edible bowls! Eliminates the need for more trash (plastic bowls or cups), and the crust is a tasty treat after spooning out the chilli.

If you can do a good barbeque/cookout, you can tailgate like a boss. Just plan ahead and adjust for your setting.

11. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    :roflmao: How could I be so remiss?

A few other things I forgot. If you're doing sausages, parboil those also the night before. Not that you have to worry about them being cooked all the way through. But it makes cooking them much faster, and they'll stay juicier. All you really need out of the grill is that good carmelization. (sp?)

You can also sautee onions and peppers the day before. Wrap them in aluminum foil, and just pop the foil on the grill to reheat them (with just a touch of butter or olive oil so they don't dry out). Just don't cook them to death on the day before. They should still have just a bit of crunch to them.

If you're doing chilli, you can always go pro and get a bunch of 2 day old smaller loaves of good crusty bread. Cut them in half, and hollow them out. Edible bowls! Eliminates the need for more trash (plastic bowls or cups), and the crust is a tasty treat after spooning out the chilli.

If you can do a good barbeque/cookout, you can tailgate like a boss. Just plan ahead and adjust for your setting.[/quote:5sitozec]

I want to come to one of your tailgates!!!....Trace is on me!!!

12. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    So do I! :roflmao:

I haven't had a good tailgate in years. The last 2 games I got to go to I didn't have the opportunity to tailgate.

My favorite tailgate ever was a really simple one though. My cousin and I outside the GA Dome. All we had was a 12 pack of cheap beer and venison backstraps on the grill. But it was amazing. :D That was in 1996. I was in the USAF back then and neither of us was very well off at that stage of our life. He got a deer a couple days before the game so he brought the backstraps. It was a fair deal. I bought the tickets. :)