1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

tackle early??

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Feb 24, 2012.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    on the steelers official site they had colbert on at the combine. one reporter said " you worked out matt kalil a little bit". are we working out the top dog to see what the others are measuring up to this year when they are worked out for us? am i reading to much into this possibly. why else would we work him out though. i doubt seriously we would move up that far to grab him, but will we be willing to move up to get another guy like riley or martin or adams and just want to see if they are close to him as far as how they move?

maybe since colbert isn't as great at picking o-line talent, he wants to see what a top tackle actually looks like in drills? :shrug: any thoughts? :cool:

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I definately see us taking a tackle somewhere, but not Khalil. Gilbert and Colon can work at tackle, but I think we'd be stronger if we could move one inside to guard. I think we'd have to look seriously at Adams or Martin if they fall to us, Cordy Glenn in the first, Sanders or Massie in the 2nd, Adcock, Potter, and Schwartz in the third.
    There will be a plethora (word of the day) of OTs available in round 4 that could help out in the long run.

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    why work him out then? 4th round OT's are not going to be the type we need at LT. LT's are hard to come by in this draft. why take another RT? we have tons of those guys. :cool:

4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Don't think we have tons of those guys, since we had a rookie starting there last year who's moving to LT this year. And I do believe that Colon would be better at guard than tackle, which is why the third and 4th round guys. My personal opinion, is all.
    And I question the reporter who asked about working out Khalil. Yesterday was just weigh ins, for the most part. How much could we have worked him out? Don't think any of the players are going to just walk out and work out for one team before the combine. Too much of a chance of getting injured.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    colbert didn't say they didn't work him out. it could have been this morning. :cool:

6. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Its all part of the process...it happens every year. Teams who have no chance at RG3/Luck have been talking and looking into them. You HAVE to do your due diligence with any and all players your team might be interested in...even if theres a slim chance he'd fall to you or that you'd be able to trade up for him...but players sliding have happened quite a bit. Dont look into anymore than this.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... le=HP11_cp

I found this little article that should be fitting here...I didnt get to read it all (as I have to leave real quick) but the first couple paragraphs is kind of an extension to what I was eluding to...the whole lying/smoke screen/etc stuff.

7. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Because you just never know. What if Mike Wallace gets signed away by the Bengals, Bears, etc. so we get two first rounders and the start of the draft goes...

1. Indy- Andrew Luck
    2. Wash (trade)- RGIII
    3. Minn - Claiborne
    4. Cleveland - Blackmon

If we could package two first rounders and maybe a 3rd, to get to #5 for Kalil would you do? I would...

8. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Due diligence, no we won't get kalil... unless something comes up between now and then to drop his status. It would be tragic for him, but if he gets into trouble between now and then... and ends up being "that guy" sitting around waiting for his name to be called.

Also, there's nothing that says the media mock drafts are right about a guy. I'm sure each team probably watches most of the 1st round guys no matter where they draft.

I'd also say they compare the top tier guys to the 2nd, 3rd, etc guys.

9. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Not for a guard. Even if you could forecast the future and turn out to be the next Dawson would u give up so much for a guard.

10. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

Kalil is not a OG...he is the TOP RANKED OT in the entire draft.

11. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    In rounds 1 and 2, if we take an OT then he better start, and move Gilbert to guard. In rounds 3+, I'm okay taking just a swing backup. We need one. I'm okay with either scenario, but right now the guy in round 1 looks like Adams, and I'm leaning away from him.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i was reading on steelers depot this morning about this. they are still talking about moving colon inside to guard. theyare also saying it should be RG and i agree. he is a right side guy and seems to be comfortable on that side. trouble is what do we do with foster, who has played pretty well there. as they said colon would be the logical choice because of his time here and seem to think he has that upside over a younger guy even if he's not played that position. they went on to say gilbert is so much more comfortable on the right side at tackle. which i agree with. i don't know for sure if it would be adams or not. i wonder if they wouldn't go with someone like datko. even if it is adams, i think he has that little bit of quickness over gilbert on that side. maybe in round 2 they are looking for a LG. maybe a guy like nix or one of the other tier two guys. i think it would make this line stronger in the long run and even it out enough for us to be able to run to either side. i just haven't decided yet which scenario i think would be better for them. now if a guy drops, thats a different story. :cool: