1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

T.J. Watt

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel4Blood, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    What do you foresee T.J. Watt's Ceiling being?

I dont see J.J. but only a handful of guys in history are that good.

With his Work Ethic, and how he looked in year 1 i foresee a Kevin Greene type of career.
    I think he will be close to the logevity that Kevin Greene displayed.
    15 Years is a long time at that position. But i see him falling just short in the sack numbers then Kevin displayed.

A toned down Kevin Greene that plays for the Steeler's his whole prime career would be a blessing to me.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Watt is pretty special. He is not going to post sack numbers like JH92 or have a bunch of picks, but he is the type of guy we need. Works hard, no distractions, doesn't give up on the play, makes splash plays. He might be my next jersey.

all around good. not JJ good, but who is lol

3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Im hoping he makes a huge jump in season 2. Hopefully switching positions this year dosent set him back.

4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    He looked great for 1/2 season. He hit a little rookie wall last year mid-point on. Which can be expected. Steelers played the hell out of him in the pre-season, he played 2-3 quarters of every pre-season game. Rookies aren't used to playing 20 games. He's got the talent to be a pro-bowl level LB. I like his leadership qualities. I expect good things year 2. He needs to avoid the injury bug. That seems to also plague his brother. Great gifted player, but often hurt.

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Tj had a great game week 17 against the clowns most tackles of his season with 8 and a sack, no rookie wall in his last game, I'll agree he did next to nothing in the jags playoff game but the whole defense sucked in that game, but like you I expect bigger and better things from him this year.....

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I liked the selection then. No reason to assume I will not.

He has been just about everything I had hoped for. In time, as I see it, he has the potential to become the Defensive Player of The Year. He is that special.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    He may not be JJ good but he may also not be JJ injury riddled as well. TJ seems more natural to me. I don't know if JJ was on anything, but whether he is or not, he gets injured like he is inflated for one reason or another. JJ may never have a season like 2012-2015 ever again. Those were 4 years of dominance, but he's had 2 straight years of nothingness since. And doesn't he have a jacked back? Those tend not to get better with age.

My guess is TJ won't ever put up 20 sack seasons, however, I could see him have a decade of 10 sack seasons, which would be strong. And, he gives the team nice leadership qualities, where he isn't a "me, me, me" guy and won't get in trouble off the field.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    yep not trying to jinx anything but you can just tell for some folks.

9. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    looked at some pics of JJ, you can tell he cycled here and there. Capped bulging striated shoulders, mountain traps, huge thick biceps with low BF for a guy his size... lol. Then he lost a little size and got a little flab, which looks more natural. TJ has the size of someone not on drugs but looks strong.

10. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Yea, I've never been on anything stronger than protein powder but went to a college notorious for dudes on juice, and the telltale signs are quite obvious once you see them, and it's very rare for someone to be so gifted in genetics to mirror juicers. The massive traps are one of the most glaring signs. I knew a guy who went from just a normal looking guy on the street, to traps up to his ears in a mere few weeks. As you mentioned, the coconut delts are another obvious indicator.

My __GUESS__ (and I am admitting that is all it is - a guess) is that JJ was on something, and that often leads to "ashing" your body quicker. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ is near done with football, or, perhaps, will never see production like his 2012-2015 peak. But TJ appears to be more natural, so, maybe not the huge spike in a "man vs. boys" period like JJ, but hopefully a longer, steadier run in excellence.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I agree he will be steadier but i think it will be a while before we see the dominance of JJ 2012-2015.
    Aaron Donald for example is a beast but he isnt even close to what JJ was in those years.
    It was literally man vs boys out there.
    If he had nay kind of offense they could of done something. When do you ever see a defensive player take the team to the playoffs like he did.
    Whether he was on the sauce or not it just does not happen.
    TJ will have a longer dominance but not close to the peak of dominance of his brother.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I read an article TJ was eating 8000 calories and 2 gallons of water a day while training. I’ve always thought JJ juiced and honestly worrying if TJ will start to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope he continues to work hard, he will be fine.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I expect TJ to get 8-10 sacks, also continue to drop into coverage get a few ints.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Somebody was saying we don't have that GUY on this defense. I disagree. I think he is that guy. Still new to the position but if these subpar coaches don't screw him up he will be very good. I have to agree with watt wack that TJ is not JJ but is on the field which makes him better. JJ has played 8 games in two years. I liken that to McDonald. Yes good but if you don't play it doesn't help much.:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I just hope he can learn to contain the outside. During the Jags game he repeatedly allowed the QB or RB to run wide turning a long third into a first. A lot of people played poor defense that day and he was one of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Woodley had that problem. Bud has that problem. Chickillo has that problem. JH didn't. Jarvis I hate to say was fairly good at it. This is where the inside backers need to be helping. The OLBers need to turn these runs inside and the ILBers need to finish. I do think with dirty red and bostic and Edmund's and Thomas we can achieve that. Vince struggled getting off of blocks to help this. Vince to me is more of a fill the gap and make the tackle type LB. Shazier could run to the edge and help. Red using his quick first step instincts can help. Vince bostic and Thomas will remain to be seen. Edmund's if he can diagnose quickly enough and run past blocks can help in this role. We shall soon find out about these guys but so far I think this is what we are looking for from these additions inside. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    If you compare TJ Watt to Kevin Greene, you'll see Kevin was a lot quicker and more fluid in his movement. Although I'd love to see that type of career out of TJ, I don't think it's going to happen.

He had a good rookie year, but still has a lot to prove. His strength looks to be one of his greatest assets. Hopefully him and his bro can go over some pass rush moves to perfect.

If TJ is half of what his brother has been, I'm completely cool with that. Of course a little brotherly competition would be cool to see in the sack department.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Reading that same article, he said he's eating a lot of salads, vegetables and lean meat. To eat 8000 calories, he must be making salads in a bushel basket.

20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I struggle to eat 8000 calories even eating buffets

21. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    yup. I think James Harrison cycled and he knew how to get away with it. That's why he was always "proving" he was clean. That, or he juiced before and maintained quite a bit of size due to his work ethic.

Androgen receptors are in the delts and traps which is why they blow up.

Big, Lean, Natural = pick 2 lol

22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    My issue with this whole "TJ may not be like JJ" debate does not come so much from the positions as one would expect but rather the system. Two different forms of schematics.

Romeo Crennel runs just about as old school a 3-4 defensive scheme as you are going to find in the league. Granted, the current league based on personnel exploitation has likely changed some of that traditional form of thinking. Generally speaking though, the lineman "attack" as opposed to shoot their gaps. Namely, this causes one more player to contain; being the SAM 'backer; the WILL 'backer being able to either cutback or boot towards whomever has the ball. This is commonly referred to as the "Okie". There are exceptions to this rule but the rule remains the same. A better example of this is shown below:

[​IMG]

Keith Butler's is entirely different. As opposed to have the 3-4 outside backers mainly shoot towards the quarterback, Butler's has both outside 'backers do more than that. Drop into coverage, maintain the point of attack, etc. Unlike RAC though, the defensive line now can just shoot the gaps. It is the now 'backers main priority to maintain the point and two gap... rather.. the SAM linebacker does. Unlike the "Okie" SAM, the "Eagle" SAM will "attack" in order to free up the interior of the defense. The WILL has to either cutback or boot to the outside.

Ultimatley speaking, while JJ skills naturally transcend either scheme, the fact is he will always be asked to get after both ball carrier and passer due to those schematics alone. Yes, he can be effectively dropped into coverage but someone like RAC realizes that this stymies his overall defensive success. Nevermind the fact that TJ has not even come to realizing his full potential, what he is asked to do far exceeds anything his brother would. Add the fact he has shown he is capable of doing everything and the comparisons shape into this;

A do everything linebacker versus a non scheme dependant pure pass rusher.

A problem with this comparison. No?

How about we continue to enjoy what TJ does and continue to support his bright future? That is what all of us really should be focusing in on.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Would love to see 10 sacks this year. He may have the make-up to get it done.

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    TJ had more sacks in his rookie year with 7 than jj had his rookie year with 5.5, but jj had 20 sacks his second year so come on tj beat him this year with 21:thumbs_up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1