1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

T/F: The Steelers value stability over success

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018

It is a business but there is alot more business in winning a super bowl. Don't kid yourself you win the super bowl you make more money. Now don't get me wrong the last place team is raking it in hand over fist as well. Thats why some of these players go to the jets or teams like that cause they value money over winning. Most of them don't have the foresight to realize that being a good player on a good team will net you more in endorsements and deals than being a good or great player on a bad team. Lets face it some of these guys are not the brightest bulbs in the pack!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The player mobility created by free agency makes stability in the coaching staff and front office more important, not less.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    stability, clearly.

Rooney has ruined this, for years to come.....

4. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Stability only works if the people you keep are high quality. Our coaching staff is mediocre at best. Tomlin looked like a pop warner coach last time he made the AFC championship and the league is moving past his defense first approach. The rules are so heavily favored for offenses that there will never be another 2000 raven or 2002 bucs defense teams. Its sad that is our make up right now with amazing d and nothing on offense. Lose big time to get a shot at a descent QB and then draft o lineman with high second and third round picks. Then sign a solid OT with free agency now that the big ben money goes down.. Then hire a coach who can play modern football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    There is stability, and then there is stubbornness.

You see plenty examples of ‘instability’ around the league. Teams fire coaches that they shouldn’t have hired after a year or two. Lose patience with coaches that don’t perform miracles after 3 yrs. Draft QB after QBs in the high rounds every couple of years. This is the current NY Jets, and until recently the Cle Browns. They Steelers have avoided this trap and have been stable, much to their credit.

But there is stubbornness. We never fire a coach, no matter what, because that is our way. Not whether the firing is merited or not, we just don’t do it. We’ll hang onto our draft picks forever, regardless of how they failed, regardless of better FA options. Why? Because that is our way, and we’ve won more than anyone. We’ll keep the 39 yr old QB, because he’s our best chance, and we never quit on a season. Need to replace an OC or DC? Who do we already have in our organization? Stability is our cornerstone.

the Steelers think their stubbornness is really stability. It blinds then from change.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Agreed

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You do know Tampa Bays Defense was Number 6 last year right.??? KC was 7th the Year Before. So that's the last 2 SB Championship Winners. SO.....
    Defense still Matters.
    A Lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Gee...if only those teams were not hindered on offense with those lousy QBs of Patty Mahomes and Tom Brady. KC has the best TE in the league or top 2 and the fastest WR on the planet in hill. If they did not have a amazing offense this year...they would be 0-3. Tom Brady and Bucs are loaded on offense. You may or may not have a good defense to be good in the league but you HAVE to have an elite offense.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    KC is 1- 3 in their last 4 games, and their defense is pitiful right now.
    I can name You 20 teams that Have won a SB with a top 10 defense, and average Offensive. Can You name Me 5 teams that Had a top 10 Offense, but an Average Defense that Won SBs????

10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Maybe the Greatest Show on Turf Rams in 99? But that's only one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Doesn't help when sports media constantly praises the Steelers for that approach.

Any idiot can own a team and never fire a coach, but being that risk adverse ends up coming off as lazy and just making it easy for the people who make the decisions.

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe they were 4th ranked in Defense that Year. I just checked...I thought they were 6th.
    See. Defense is Very important. :thumbs_up:

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Huh I always remember saying that team didn't even need defense cause they could just pour on the points. I still remember that tackle that stopped the Titan player from reaching the goal line to send the SB to overtime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Mike Jones? Didn't the Steelers sign him a year or two later?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I know. It's just their Offense over shadowed their D. Even though they were 4th in the League on D.
    That's why I laugh When someone says ....So, and So only Won a SB because of their Defense...I'm Like Everyone Wins a SB in large part 2 their Defense. :shrug:

16. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    Had to edit, missed a few years. Apparently, it doesn't matter where they rank. Most have a top 10 in each, but there are some outliers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  17. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    Great Defense, bad offense outliers.

Attached Files:

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's why mY original post I earlier was ....name Me 5...because I can name 20 the other way.:thumbs_up:

19. woofermazing

woofermazing Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2017
    A team that values stability would have had a credible plan for life after Ben.

In 2019, our supposed 1st round grade draft pick was indiscernible in performance from an undrafted rookie(!!!) free agent quarterback. That should have setoff major alarm bells about what our future will look like. Instead they tried to maximize a window that was probably already closed. The organization values success, specifically success now.

They gave up what would have been a very high draft pick to bandaid a defense on a team that, without Ben, had very little chance of making hay in the playoffs.

Now they've pushed off salary cap hits onto future teams for players that will be long gone.

Doesn't sound like stability to me.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    thesteelerswhiners.com

• Winner Winner x 1