1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Switzer...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 4, 2019.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hey, I resemble that remark :smiley1:

2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Lol, if the compression sock fits...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You did nothing wrong. Your response was just as predictable as mine would have been if DJ had fumbled. Simple as that. And I did, and do, acknowledge the truth. At the moment, DJ is an upgrade. I just want to see a little more consistency before I abandon my belief in Switzer and his role on this team. And Cain might have ended up here regardless of Switzer's spot on the roster. He came to the party late.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I know that's hard to accept. And with a few more games of consistency from DJ, I might likely change from agreeing with you "at the moment" and simply agree, in general. That's not easy for me to do, you know. So relish in my consternation. You earned it. ;)

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I relish the success of the team. Just think of it this way. You were in a no-lose situation. Either you could be proven right or Johnson could do something to help the team. The latter happened. I'd much rather be wrong if it helps the Steelers win a game. I'm sure you feel the same way.

It's possible they end up with Cain anyway, but I doubt it. Jones was clearly the first man up. He basically took Switzer's spot. I doubt they were cutting him to make room for Cain, who only got his shot due to Smith-Schuster's injury. I think it is fair to say if Switzer was still active, Cain would not be a Steeler right now.

That makes me curious how they handle the return of Conner and possibly Smith-Schuster this Sunday. Two other guys won't get a helmet and I doubt the team wants to bury Whyte or Cain right now.

5. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I'd hope they look at their health and not rush them back until 110%. There really isn't any reason to rush them back, especially since a little chemistry is developing on the offense right now.

Don't change anything against the Bills. Make your changes against the Jets.

Other than the fumble, Snell is doing a fair job. I don't know if JC would have done much better behind our OL. So leave JC and his shoulder to heal on the shelf and give the committee of Snell, Samuels, and Whyte the chance to shine against a stout Bills D.

DJ and Washington both kind of have the hot hand right now. I don't think JuJu adds much to the current mix right now. He needs some reps, but not against the Bills. I don't think he should take DJ, Wash, or Cain off the field.

And finally, since we're wrapping up the Switzer debate, why is Holton taking up a roster spot? He does absolutely nothing for this team. He isn't fielding kicks. He might be a gunner on ST's, might. Seems like his only role is to waste 1 play a game by running a go route where the ball never comes close to him. At least Switzer had a role.

6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Why is this subject still high up on the forum since I would have thought Switzer's situation would be settled by now. DJ is a clear upgrade and has done more in one game that Switzer all year. I like him but this isn't a popularity contest. DJ put points on the board that was critical for us to win along with a lot of other receiving production. Unbelievably we're like 8-2 over last 10 games with a broke d!ck QB situation which means something is going very right and I would think we keep whats making it right. I like Conner too but he is just not durable enough to be counted on and serious consideration should be made on how the last 3 games go and his retention on this team.

7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Connors return .... get us a consistent running game and can still stay run by committee. The 1 or 2yds percentage, to get a first down or touchdown, goes up with Connors. A rb out of the backfield, that can provide another weapon in the passing game.
    A healthy Juju's return will give defensive coaches headaches. Washington and Johnson just have to continue to be consistent. There will be so many options for Duck to choose from that the offense would immediately become elite.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t know about immediately becoming elite but I don’t understand the notion that somehow we are better off without them. JUJU is still our best WR and Conner our best RB.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    So...We are BETTER without our best RB, and best WR...Makes sense

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    We're getting off topic, but I agree that the Switzer debate should be just about over, anyway.

I don't get this idea that the Steelers are somehow better off without Conner and Smith-Schuster.

Conner gives the Steelers two things they don't have with Snell. He is a superior receiver out of the backfield and he is more explosive. The way things work now, the defense has a much easier time reading what type of play is coming based on which back is in the game. That is less of an issue with Conner.

Smith-Schuster's return absolutely helps. That doesn't mean Washington and Johnson lose snaps. The guys losing playing time would be Jones, Cain and Holton. Jones would probably be inactive. I know Smith-Schuster has disappointed, but he's still the best receiver on the team.

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It was over as soon as it started...:shrug::roflmao:

12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Lots of varsity to choose from this year.

13. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    The thing that I don't like about Connor is that he puts the ball on the ground fighting for that extra yard, same reason he gets injured. He has cost us at least two close games with his fumbles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I agree with this, as well as your reasons why.

I just don't think they should start this week and potentially disrupt any chemistry that is forming with those who have been contributing while they've been out. It would be different bringing them back with Ben under center. Duck needs all the familiarity he can get right now.

If they're 100%, work them in a little as the game dictates.

15. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Did I miss the chilli peppers entering this thread?

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You say that as if they were new to the team. Hodges has played with both of them. What he needs most is talent around him. Smith-Schuster brings more of that than any other receiver on the team. My guess is he will be taking most of his snaps this week from Jones, Holton and Cain, not Johnson and Washington. That is especially true if McDonald can't go. I assume being down to one decent tight end and no fullback would mean more three-receiver sets.

Conner isn't just better than Snell, he's more versatile. That is another advantage Hodges needs, the ability to avoid telegraphing the plays that are coming based on personnel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Diontae Johnson ended up a second-team All-Pro punt returner. Does anybody still want to argue that they missed Switzer? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    You still want to argue your side. Dontae has some great material to work with. ;)

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The argument was over the moment Johnson returned a punt for a touchdown, something Switzer could never come close to doing, but the All-Pro selection was a nice exclamation point. There is no argument. The Switzer supporters were wrong and that's the end of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Best buds, if Ben would've hung out with AB more, he would still be on the team :lolol:.(green font)

21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Well I will give the kids props, he sucks on the field, but knows who to suck up to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Wait. Did the front office sign off on that activity? Seems risky for a guy recovering from elbow surgery

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah and Switzer was the one telling the media about him and Ben could be like Brady and Edelman :facepalm:.

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    somebody had to carry bens intertube back to the top of the hill.:shrug::cool:

• Like Like x 2
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah but what about after the first 3 yards?

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1