1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Switzer...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 4, 2019.

1. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Never thought about that. You might have a point. ;) That's some airtight logic I can get behind. I guess Switzer really does suck.

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The extra three yards Switzer isn't getting doesn't mean squat! And he holds onto the ball. As far as roster spots go, this coaching staff is so far off on many topics, the roster spots don't mean much either.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    No. I’m telling you Switzer sucks. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yes there’s a difference.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I couldn't agree more.

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm telling you every yard counts, especially for such an inept response, but that isn't the issue. You said they didn't average more on returns, but that isn't true. Johnson's average is better than Switzer's on punt returns and that is on nine returns, one more than Switzer had. We haven't really seen what Whyte can do on kickoff returns yet. He only got one so far.

Putting aside the statistical inaccuracy in your post, there are the two other issues you are avoiding. One is that they are no longer wasting a roster spot on Switzer and that is a good thing. Even though the difference isn't huge, they are getting better punt returns without him. Even though the sample size is tiny, go ahead and say the kickoff returns are slightly worse. Either way, they are getting value from the other return guys on offense and/or coverage teams. (I'm including Holton in this.)

The other issue is this claim Switzer's defenders were making that they would suffer some great loss in ball security without him. You were ready to declare victory after one game based on an inaccurate statistic, but here's one that goes the other way and is accurate. The Steelers forced nine punts yesterday, and even without Switzer, they ended up with the ball every time.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Johnson makes me nervous though when he's the returner, because of his ball security.

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Stop living in our fears...:hehehe:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    One has nothing to do with the other. Nice try.

Of course it isn't. Nothing is ever is with you.

I stated explicitly the difference between punts and kickoffs. If you're too ignorant, lazy, or pig-headed to read before responding, that's not my problem.

Yeah. I said that already. It was in my post that you didn't read before responding.

You can add. I'll give you that.

Wow, you're bringing the facts now. Dropped that hammer and put me in my place for sure. Kudos.

You don't need to put it aside, you should put it away. Because you're wrong. And if you haven't noticed (which is actually obvious) I'm not avoiding anything. I wish I would avoid you, but it's just too much fun pointing out how wrong you are.

Exactly. The difference is so inconsequential, that it isn't worth mentioning. But yes, you'll mention it. That's what you do. You fixate on issues of absolutely no consequence whatsoever. But hey, at least you're consistent.

Ok, I will. And I have already. You would know that if you would read before posting.

3 yards of value per punt on average. Yes. I established that already. On nine punts, that amounted to roughly 27 yards of additional offense. How many points did that equate to? Since the touchdown would have went for 100, not that 7. And since one of the field goals was bolstered by PI calls, the 3 yards there didn't impact it. Again, you're out of your league, and out of your mind, for arguing with me.

That was not the claim. The claim was that he was sure-handed as a receiver and returner. He is. Dispute that if you want me to shred your opinions further.

Prove it. Please. You've got nothing better to do with your time. Go back and find where I declared victory. And then pull something else out of your butt to try and tie it to an inaccurate statistic. You can't. You know it. I know it. The forum knows it.

And with him, things would have been just the same. No added value without him active. And before you start pounding your fists about his replacement turning our season around, who is that replacement? What has he done for us? Statistics please.

I'm eagerly awaiting your bs response to all this. My rebuttal fingers are just getting warmed up.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The next time you prove me wrong on anything will be the first. You certainly did nothing of the kind with that post.

Your earlier post was inaccurate. That is a fact no matter how much you try to change the story now.

Johnson’s punt return average is better than Switzer’s. You kept making a big deal out of Switzer being sure-handed, yet Johnson took careof the ball just fine Sunday.

Every yard matters. The Steelers’ ineptitude on offense is absolutely relevant to that. I don’t know how somebody with any understanding of the game would fail to grasp that.

Roster spots are precious, especially for a team battling injuries the way the Steelers have all season. If Switzer was still on the roster, they probably don’t have room for Cain, who made a big play Sunday.

Let me know when you are ready to discuss this reasonably. So far, all you are doing is the message board equivalent of Rosie Nix celebrating because he didn’t realize the Saints had stopped him short on fourth down last season.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  11. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Your best response EVER!! I almost have to agree with you. Please post more like that!!!

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The pitfalls of posting from my phone. It is the only way you stand a fighting chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Switzers value ended with Ben. He will most likely be brought back next season when Ben returns. He increased his yardage output by 210 yards in his first year playing with Ben and it likely would have gone up more this season.

His punt returns dropped off a lot, KO's stayed about the same. Last season he averaged 20.2 yards on KO and 8.4 yards on punt returns.

Returners depend a lot on the blocking in front of them, maybe that is worse this year, it's not like DJ lit it up.

14. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    There are 10 other guys on the field for a return that have to do their jobs so they guy catching the ball can do something with it. You’d also think Switzerland would be good for MR for those 6-8 yard catches. That’s about all MR can complete.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Even with the team's troubles at receiver, Switzer could barely get on the field by the time he was hurt. What little he produced last season was all about Roethlisberger throwing and the defense having to focus so much on Brown and Smith-Schuster. He's just not good as a receiver or return guy.

16. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Hey, a lot of old people have trouble with technology. It's nothing to be ashamed of. I mean, you have so much more to be ashamed of...your posts, for example.

(Sent from my phone, btw)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I may have the occasional issue with technology, but your have great difficulty with facts and logic. I will give you points for ironic humor given that I'm guessing you are at least as old as I am.

You bragged that you were ready with some great response, then took half a day to come up with a post that didn't address the topic at all. You were factually wrong regarding the return statistics. You have no answer for the team handling punts just fine without Switzer. You have no answer for the point about not having to waste a roster spot on a guy who was contributing nothing.

As I mentioned, if Switzer wasn't on IR, the Steelers wouldn't have had room for Cain. In just one game, Cain has 35 yards receiving, more than Switzer managed in nine games this season.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  18. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You're good for a laugh, that's for certain. And I'm flattered that you sit at your keyboard, fixated on my responses to the point that you time them. You're the closest thing I've ever had to a stalker, and many years ago I had an ex-girlfriend follow me from the east coast to the west coast against my wishes. You've got her beat. I wish she was as easy to read as you, though. You are as predictable as water is wet. I stated earlier that you would, in fact, make a statement about how long it took me to respond. Right on cue, here you are.

I'm sorry I cannot make facts like 3.5+3.6=7.1 work for you. Math is hard, isn't it?

And lastly, I cannot debate with someone who is delusional.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Apparently, you are having issues with technology as well. Our posts have a time stamp on them. It is very easy to see that I posted last night and you didn't respond until this morning. You posted about how ready you were, so of course I gave you a hard time about taking so long to formulate an answer.

I'm not the one having trouble with statistics, math or logic here. That would be you. That is three consecutive posts that have nothing to do with the actual topic.

Johnson's punt return average is nearly double that of Switzer's. You have no answer for that.

The Bengals punted nine times Sunday and the Steelers had no problem with ball security on any of them even without Switzer. You have no answer for that.

The Steelers stopped wasting a roster spot on Switzer, who was giving them nothing. You have no answer for that.

Because Switzer is on IR, they have room for Deon Cain. On one play, he contributed more yards on offense than Switzer had in nine games this season. You have no answer for that.

You seem to enjoy wasting your time breaking posts up and attacking them with the quote function. I made it even easier for you this time. If you are going to reply, please try to do it on topic this time. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm digging up this thread in honor of Diontae Johnson. I believe he settled the argument today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Even Ben won't be able to get him back on team. Might be time to get on
    with his life's work?

22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Rather see Fitchner go.

23. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Right on cue. Knew this was coming. But hard to argue with you at the moment.

DJ played out of his mind yesterday. Switzer doesn't give us that production. Now, let's see DJ become consistent. If he can carry yesterday's contribution throughout the next 3 games, I'll accept that we have found a bonafide upgrade.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I knew you couldn't just acknowledge the truth, but it's a step in the right direction. Johnson gives them a threat back there. He was giving it to them before he finally broke one yesterday, but he was already a significant upgrade over Switzer. More importantly, they are no longer wasting a roster spot on a return guy who can't get them anything on returns. The last spot for a receiver is currently occupied by Deon Cain, who made another huge catch yesterday. He only has three, but he is already well past Switzer's yardage total from the first nine games this season.

You began your post as if I did something wrong. You wouldn't have brought it up if Johnson fumbled a punt? :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    DJ’s emergence as a solid punt returner is great, but the reality is that Switzer’s value in the return game was already replaceable by any one of dozens of unemployed football players licking their chops for a shot. Switzer’s only value is that Ben likes him as an outlet guy. There is some value in a guy who the QB trusts. Without Ben, Switzer is very expendable.