1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Switzer...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :eek:

Damn.

Joking aside, let me fit my mod hat on for a minute, there we go, attack the subject, not the poster (I almost put member but you'd have to be an expert marksman).

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He can’t do that now. As desperate as the situation is at receiver, he gets no run at all. Defend him all you like, but it really isn’t necessary to insult his critics. Glory Days, but he isn’t good. That the Steelers don’t have a competent punt returner doesn’t make Switzer any less of a problem.

The coaches and the line deserve most of the blame for the safety, but some of it has to go on Switzer for putting the offense in that situation. His job there was to put his head down and get the ball past the 10. He failed to do his job there.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    DJ fumbled on the return, trying to actually make a play. He seems just a sure handed and at least gives you a opportunity for a big play. You know something that might actually help you win a game, besides fair catch or run out of bounds. There’s a reason why they are alternating now It’s because Switzer is giving them nothing. If they were totally satisfied with him DJ wouldn’t be getting any opportunities. I’m just willing to give him all of them...NOW

4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    It looks to me that they are having Johnson return punts if we are receiving the punt at around the 30 yard line or better. Switzer is the return man inside our own 20 because they don't need a return there, they just need someone who will catch the ball and avoid a devastating turnover.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Okay, I'm going to be very careful in how I respond in light of our last little go-around. Regarding insulting critics, insults have gone both ways, and I have taken my share. That's okay, I have broad shoulders, but I'm not the only one guilty of that transgression. Moving on...

He ISN'T productive. I accept that. He isn't netting a lot of positive yards in the return game, actually he's averaging 3.6 yards per punt return and 18.4 yards per kickoff return. Punt return average is bad. But it isn't in the negative. Granted that field position is extremely beneficial, but he can't be held responsible for where the ball is kicked to. He is back there to flip field position if possible, but not many teams have the skill back there like they used to. But most importantly, he is there to FIELD the kick. The lesser of two evils, by far, is maintaining possession. He does that. And he does that well. I would rather have the offense be responsible for actually moving the ball than him on special teams. If both could be productive, that would be awesome. And to be quite honest, I don't care where the offense gets the ball. If they have to drive 75 yards or 90, that is just what they need to do. Giving them the ball to work with is more important than where they get it.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The thing is, Switzer has made big mistakes, though he hasn't lost a fumble this season. Going backward inside his own 10 yesterday was a big mistake. Failing to field that one free kick last season was a big mistake. Do I feel safer with him catching the ball and holding on to it than Johnson at this point? Sure, but that's not enough. The Steelers made a huge mistake cutting Spencer and keeping Switzer, but it's too late to fix that now. It's not too late to get a useless player off the roster.

By the way, I'm aware that it wasn't just you. Hell, I've been known to say an unkind word or two. I don't think I ever said that anybody who dares criticize a certain player is small minded, but I could be wrong. I'm trying to be a kinder, gentler version of me. :)

• Like Like x 3
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Why is it when you criticize a player you are called a hater? I just don't get it, isn't this what we are here for to talk about our team? I mean put 10 people in a room I am sure you are going to get the same opinion from all. I for one have no hate for Switz however I will point out what I see as short coming. The guy is paid to play the game, please other than not fumbling the ball what good is he doing for us? jmo

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I wonder if AB would take vet minimum to come in and only be a return man?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm not cranky. I just state the obvious. The Mrs. is always happy and doesn't complain. LOL

• Like Like x 2
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What?? Dude, you did it to me constantly with Washington :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I most certainly did not you have been down on JW for over a year and I pointed that out :smiley1:. We have gone back and forth mostly respectfully, I don't think at anytime we have said we hate a player. :thumbs_up:

12. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Yeah, I get where you are coming from but I think with our offense really struggling we can't continue to give them terrible starting position because our returns are so bad. I'd give DJ another shot at returning after explaining very clearly that he is not to fight for every yard. He should go down once he is caught.

13. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    How many yards are you expecting from him? How much field position does he need to reclaim for him to be acceptable? And I'm not asking so I can argue with you. I really want to know what you're thinking. My point is that if he gets us another 10-20 yards and we start from the 25, or heck, even the 30 (which would be as good, if not better than the average starting positions for the league) would our offense fair any better? Sure, it would be an extra 10-20 yards we would have after we punt, but really, what does that extra yardage really do for us?

14. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I might just end up liking you afterall. :drinks:

15. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    In the last game an extra ten yards would have meant Rudolph getting sacked but not for a safety. Anything that can help the offense needs to be explored. We can't afford not to go for the hidden yards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I totally get where you're coming from. And I accept that we're just going to see this differently. But from my perspective, putting any blame for the safety on Switzer is wrong.

If blocking didn't break down and MR throws a strike to Holton for a 95 yard td, would you give Switzer any credit for that? Because obviously he was responsible for the outcome of that play. Right? :shrug:

17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    1. The return game is irrelevant in today's NFL.
    2. We don't get penalties for blocking in the back during the run because....he doesn't.
    3. Switzer is reliable to catch the ball.

18. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I'm not really trying to blame him for the safety. I just think by continuing to trot him out on returns we are passing up a chance to get some free yards that our offense desperately needs. Otoh, given how poorly we seem to block returns and how often we get penalties on returns it might not matter much if we use a different returner. I'm ready to try though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I can get behind that.

I'm not in love with the guy, even though some around here think I'm married to him. I just think he's taking some really unfair criticism. But if they stick someone else back there who can secure the ball AND help with the field position battle, I'm all for it. I would just take possession over position. Your offense can't do anything if it doesn't get the ball back.

BUT...Fitz is probably our best scoring chance anyway, so we should keep our defense on the field as much as possible. ;)

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Except the Steelers have been taking penalties on returns even though they never get a decent one. The kickoff return game is barely relevant any more, but punt returns can still affect the game. That doesn't mean they haven't declined, but even relative to the rest of the league, Switzer is awful. It is an advantage for the opponent to know he is not a threat in any way.

21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, he ain't no Desmond Howard but, he holds on to the ball. 50-60 yard returns don't do any good if the guy fumbles at the end.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He's also only returned 8 punts, so how much is he really hurting them :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Does Minkah return punts?

24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    People here believe that I'm a Ben hater. :facepalm:

I won't say any names.

• Like Like x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I am a hater of some but I won't say names...........:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: who?????? :shrug::shrug::shrug:

• Like Like x 1