1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Switzer...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 4, 2019.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Man the Steelers need to just get rid of this guy and find somebody else to both return kicks and punts. They cut Dionte Spencer in preseason and he has been very good for the Broncos in their kicking game and would have been a monumental upgrade over Switzer and the Steelers really made a big mistake letting him go. You gotta get rid of Switzer at this point though he adds nothing and simply needs to go period.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This has been discussed on here since the beginning of the season, the only thing Switzer brings to the team is he's surehanded on special teams.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Switzer has gotten worse. Hell, why not at least give Brooks-James a shot at kickoff returns, something he did in college? They nearly guarantee the Steelers don't get the ball to the 25 if the kicker can manage to put the kickoff inside the 10, but not in the end zone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    You're right about him getting worse. I liked what I saw from him last year, and he was turning into a key situational guy, but this year he's just disappeared.

I get that he's sure-handed, but watching our returns now reminds me a bit of when we used to have a FB back there returning Kick Offs - Cary Davis I think?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    He is the least of our problems right now.

6. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    But its a real problem right now

7. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I would agree he brings nothing to the return game. That being said, when he touches the ball, he catches it, and he holds on to hit now matter how hard he's blown up. That can be invaluable in certain situations.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    He does have good hands, now if he'd only be able to get some YAC.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I think this is a pretty good team and a team that has a chance to make the playoffs. I think if they go 5-3 in their last 8 games and get to 9-7 they should be able to win enough tiebreakers with both head to head and conference record wise to get in. I think the Steelers will beat the Rams at home next week in another close game and get to 5-4 and then your last 7 games after that consist of 2 games with the Browns, and games with the Bengals, Jets, Cardinals, Bills and Ravens. So looking at that schedule getting that win against the Rams next week and getting to 5-4 would be huge and really increase the Steelers chances percentage wise I feel of making the playoffs as a wildcard and still keep the division within reach as well.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  10. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Switzer made the team because Ben liked him and he can catch a kick. Now that Ben is out the only thing he adds is that he can catch a kick.

11. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. He has little value. He seems weak and slow. His only redeeming feature is he catches punts and kickoffs without fumbling away the ball during his weak returns. That one thing is not enough. We can do better. Note though this is only a small problem with our team.

12. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I like Switzer as a person, but dude brings nothing special to the table. I'm guessing he's still doing his return job because he doesn't fumble, but man he's the worst.

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Switz taking a beating this year from the fans, new whipping boy. What happened to bashing McCullers?

14. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Switzer had good chemistry with Ben. Ben always knew where Switzer was going to be and he was always a safe option to pass to when you needed 5 or 6 yards.

15. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Should have kept Spencer.
    He's had a 62 yard kr..and a 42 yard pr.
    Currently ranked 10th in the league..
    He's even caught a couple playing wr..
    Switzer give you very little.
    Special teams have not been special.
    Need a coaching change there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Bud Dupree? Artie Burns?

17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Dupree stepped up as of now

Artie...well everyone agrees on Artie & what he brings to the table. :puking 5:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers absolutely made a mistake keeping Switzer over Spencer. Switzer has no business being on an NFL roster. We've already seen one team, the Ravens, take advantage by intentionally kicking off short of the end zone because they know he is not a threat and likely won't get back to the 25.

19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    When has the Steelers been a threat in the return game? ABs sophomore year? I don't think Switzer made much of a difference in the raisins game plan.

20. Steelersfan19

Steelersfan19 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    YES! I totally agree with you. He can catch, but he can't run.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't know what he gets paid and I don't know how that compares to other special team/#5 receiver types but here's a couple reasons why I'm okay with him.
    1. The return game isn't relative any more.
    2. He doesn't make big mistakes like fumbles and running backwards.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lot of hoopla being made over a guy with 7 punt returns and 8 kick returns. When you compare his numbers to others with the same amount of attempts, its around the same, some players stand out with 200 yards on kick returns to his 148 yards.

I'm sure he was kept around because of Ben and there is no arguing he was more productive with him at QB.

As it is though, he has been a complete non factor. As others have pointing out, his one shiny trait is holding onto the football.

Hate to see this place if he ever flubs one :lolol:

At this point, they are probably wishing they kept Spencer but at the time they were looking at Switzer contributing in the passing game and Spencer would have been ST only.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Switzer is just too small, he can't break tackles, a guy like Edelman is short but he's thicker and can break tackles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Dependably awful.

• Like Like x 2
  25. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I've seen enough of him. He may be sure handed, but he brings nothing to the return game. But with a team than less than ideal offense of talent you need a threat to return punts and take one home for a score. Dionte Johnson is that guy.

• Like Like x 1