1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Switzer is overrated

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 10, 2019.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The reasoning you are looking for is predictability. If Switzer is out in a 3 WR set or 4 WR set even with a limited number of routes is that a defense is not sure what he will be running. Can all of his production be duplicated by a RB either catching the ball out of the backfield or motioning them out into the pattern? Yes in a perfect world they could. However just like the dual backs plays those are plays that need to be set up so the defense can't key on them. Set up plays aren't in Ben's repertoire so having Switzer out there gives him the same look with out having to constantly establish a multi-faceted attack from a single player that won't see fruition until later in the game.

2. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    But how Switzer is used is extremely predictable. He's going to catch little passes near the line of scrimmage. That's about all he offers offensively, at least so far. Maybe he will blossom as some people seem to think but I am not holding my breath. I predict he will end the season with one of the absolute lowest YPC averages in the NFL among WRs. His yards per target last year was absurdly low, as in several yards shorter than the next lowest guy in the NFL.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Isn’t the whole point of this 6 ,now 7 page discussion is that if Switzer continues the be our 2nd best option (targets) which he is based on just 1 game of course ,that this team and it’s offense is in trouble? That’s what I thought it was about. So I think by “overrated “ steel6 meant to say he’s being over used, using that same 1 game as the basis of his post. It later morphed into a Edelman > Switzer debate ,to which it really isn’t seriously open to. Edelman is a viable No.2 WR on a good offensive team with good WRs. Switzer is not a No.2 except on a bad WR corps . Getting back on track though.
    Besides JUJU , DM,JW and DJ need to be able to find a way to produce more because Switzer at best should be a 4th or 5th option if our O is to be successful. I expect about 100 catches from JUJU. If Switzer is next with close to 80 we force fed the wrong guy and had a disappointing season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You’re the one that made it about Edelman is better than Switzer. Not a single person ever made that argument.

Steel6 should of worded it better because, no, Switzer can’t be our number 2 receiver, I said as much after the game.

The whole overrated thing is stupid though because no one has him rated as a top tier guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Part of the discussion was based on Ben’s tweet about. “ why they couldn’t be like that” my reason is because Switzer isn’t as good as Edelman, for one. You’re the one that couldn’t admit that obvious fact and kept trying to lean on scheme and other reasons as the reason why. When all you have to do is watch them play and realize Edelman is the superior player and not try to come up with excuses as to why. He’s just better. Simply admitting that fact would of ended that part of the discussion. So you did your part as well in trying to argue against Edelman > Switzer.

Yes steel6 may have been able to word it better but sometimes what you’re trying to say doesn’t always come across the right way . I took it as he’s being used too much if that’s a pattern that remains during the season. Avg. 6 targets a game is too much if this offense is going anywhere. That means others aren’t stepping up.

You keep predicting 800yds for Switzer. At his current YPG it’s impossible and he would have to catch 80 balls and increase his YPC from 7 to 10. From my count there was about 35 guys out of 219 that broke even 750 last year. That would put him in the upper echelon of WRs....just sayin you may be overrating him unintentionally.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Because you altered the topic and I didn't play into it is not my fault. Again, all Ben ever meant was he wanted production to be improved upon. Edelman is not the only successful slot receiver in the league.

And no, 800 yards is not upper echelon in my book. Edelman has 4 season over 1200 yards, Switzer will never obtain that in part because he will never be the number 1 receiver as Edelman has been. NE's offense is designed around him.

Switzer is not Edelman but I also don't believe Edelman to be as good as you feel he is. You can deny it all you want but scheme plays a huge roll in the success of NE players. Thats why they are essentially able to plug and play anyone.

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You didn’t play into it? You played into it then and you’re still playing into it by your denial that Edelman is the better player period. Regardless of scheme he’s a very good WR. If everyone was plug and play why has he been there so long. He’s been a part of 6 SB teams if I’m not mistaken (my mistake 4) and a MVP which 9 out of 10 times goes to the QB. I guess he’s doing something right. If you don’t have a eye for his talent I can’t help that. It might just be easier to admit he is a better player regardless of whatever reason you want to use.

So 800yds isn’t upper echelon when only 35/219 were able to achieve it. Says you but 800yds is among the top. So Switzer isn’t capable of 1,200 yards because of our scheme? Pretty sure if he was we would find a way to scheme him open. He will never be a No. 1 because he’s not. Not because we choose not to make him one. Yes scheme does play a part but you have to be scheme worthy which Edelman is and Switzer is not. NE doesn’t scheme their O around him because he dresses nice.

Edit: Actually is was about 29 that got 800+. That’s at the top...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It won't expand, he makes no sense when you
    have James Conner, and others who can take up his receptions. Dionte
    can take over the st duties. so basically he is taking a roster spot.
    He would be included in a trade package to the Dolphins for Fitzpatrick.

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Ben likes him.;+)

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I know and that is the only reason he is here. Package him and other to Dolphins
    for Fitzpatrick.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

I tried to tell y'all, Switzer had one catch for zero yards :shrug:.

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    C’mon be fair. He did have 1 yd.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    His speciality catching passes for little to no gain :lolol:. Cut him, bring back Eli Rogers at least he can make plays down the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    After his 1 catch for 0 yards he is averaging 4.1 yards per reception and 2.9 per attempt. Dude is not a receiver. Also if he is not going to cleanly catch punts he has no role on this team.

15. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    LOL, his feet move fast but he doesnt go anywhere, reminds me of Fred Flintstone or maybe more like Barney Rubble.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's almost as if this team has a problem at wide receiver. Oh wait. It absolutely does have that problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    He hasn't done much and Moncrief has been the worst WR in the NFL. Letting go of Eli Rodgers and Dionte Spencer is looking worse and worse right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    he looks slow and if you fart in his direction he flies like a ragdoll.

sorry blast he sucks lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    24F96E7A-BDE3-4B55-9E4C-3BC004140512.jpeg

20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This is what we wanted, no? Character guys and no drama. Only reason him, Mata, and Chik constantly make the roster.

21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    if we had good coaching we put them in positions to succeed.

Switzer= ice cream man
    mata = jockstrap cleaner
    chick = waterboy

just sayin

22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yes, Tomlin is a ****ty coach especially compared to Belichick. But there's only one Belichick. What other coaches are making something out of nothing? Tomlin is consistently decent but not good enough and the Steelers are fine with that. Like I've been saying and why they won't trade picks to move up a few slots to get players we need right now or trade a 2nd for Minkah. They just care about consistently being relevant and not Championships.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If you are unbelievably talking about Switzer today with the team 0-2, keep it to one thread.

I’ll be damned if I’ll let there be multiple Switzer threads :facepalm:

24. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Lol. Relax. It's fair to talk about something we've been talking about when there is more to talk about. He's continuing to show he is a waste of space.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You can do that all in one spot ;)

• Agree Agree x 1