1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Switzer is overrated

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 10, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    To throw the ball 15 yds?

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Little less actually, yac figures into the overall number. NE did a good job blanketing all our guys, there wasn’t much daylight for anyone.

Switzers routes are generally 3-5 yards. He’s just running the routes he’s told too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    No to be patient.:cool:

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t remember anyone calling Rogers a gimmick guy, Switzer provides the same thing and plays ST.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    What are you disagreeing with elvis? Ben is not a patient qb. He has to go downfield. He stays patient only so long. He's a gunslinger. How many 3rd and shorts do we have to go through? Empty the backfield. :cool:

6. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Rogers is a much bigger threat in the passing game than Switzer is. Rogers is a decent slot receiver. Sweitzer is not. Pretty much all he can do is run the types of passing routes that usually go to RBs, and he does so with no real threat to break a tackle or make anyone miss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No he’s not, if he were, he’d be here and not Switzer. His kick returns wouldn’t win him a spot over a “much bigger passing threat”

Switzer is everything Rogers was and more.

We’ll revisit this after the season.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Mac I thought you were saying Ben wasn’t the guy to get us back from 15 yards to go for a first down. I’ll undo.

However I do think he’s been a bit better in recent years about taking what’s available. We really haven’t had the top-tier slot guys, but plenty of underneath stuff to Bell, James, and others. I think he wants Switzer to be that underneath security blanket, but I think Switzer is limited to being just an “ok” slot guy. He can find the soft spot in zone, but he’s not running away from a decent nickel corner. If we’re going to have a productive underneath game, I think it’s going to need to be the emergence of DJ as a slot guy (if he can handle it). I think Ben’s options underneath are a bit limited right now because JW and Moncrief are more vertical guys, and JuJu will be drawing attention no matter where he lines up. Even Vance is more of a vertical threat at TE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    IMO Rogers is the better WR. Switzer has the edge in STs even though he’s pretty underwhelming.. He’s reliable and safe on PRs and catches everything ( most of the time). I’m thinking now maybe the mistake wasn’t keeping Spencer who is more explosive than either one. With the way I feel about how much Switzer should actually be involved in the offense I can see a easy way Spencer could of been used as well in a specialized role. While providing much more of a chance to actually impact our return game KR/PR.

You do have to give Switzer credit though for making sure he let everyone know how good he felt about his QB. That’s never a bad career move....

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You’d think Edelman was wearing a cape and boots the way defenders bounce off and land in the stands.

Truth is, he looks like any other football player with the ball in his hands. Difference is he has miles of daylight when he catches it thanks to the system he is in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    He was making catches further downfield last season, he had some clutch grabs in the Jax or Den game. I'd like to see him get that opportunity this year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Problem is he makes nobody miss tackles. Huge difference in him and Edelman/Welker. He could have picked up some crucial 1st downs last game if he could make one guy miss.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Edelman > Switzer. You guys can spin it any way you want. Brady , scheme, luck etc...Edelman is the better WR and football player.

It’s not a crime against humanity to admit it ....it’s just true. What player would you rather have?

14. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    You are assuming that the Steelers always make the right personnel decisions, something that if you spend any time looking at this site you'd realize is very much up for debate. Switzer is on this team because the coaches trust him to cleanly catch punts and because Ben likes him. He is the least threatening NFL WR I have ever seen, by far. Rogers is easily a better slot receiver. Switzer's only role on offense is to basically run routes that RBs usually run.

And btw, I am fine with Switzer being on the team over Rogers because of the punt returns but I don't want him anywhere near the offense unless it is to catch his patented 2 yard catch on 3rd and 1. Unfortunately he seems more likely to catch that on 2nd and 20 and we'll likely go for the bomb on 3rd and short.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I gotcha SE. Those were my exact sentiments. DJ and switzer are it mixed with some juju. I also think samuels could do some damage in that area.:cool:

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He picked up 2 first downs on Sunday. The big difference I see between the two is the space that Edelman has to work with.

I'm assuming that if Rodgers was that much better of a receiver, yes, they'd know that. They liked Rogers, alot, thought he was made to play the slot and still picked Switzer over him.

Switzer has good hands and is always in the right spot, thats huge for a QB to be able to rely on that. He looks like he could be a very good slot receiver to me.

Like I said, we'll revisit this at the end of the season but IMO, the Steelers kept the right player.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t think Samuels is shifty enough. Look at the best slot receivers. They all have good short area quickness.

18. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I don't hate him. I just think he is incredibly limited as a receiver. I've never seen another receiver who has made it catching passes almost exclusively within a few yards of either side of the line of scrimmage.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I meant working the middle of the field. McDonald isn't shifty. They were saying they didn't have a chance to run that long backfield against the pats. I'm anxious to see it in use. Might be a way to get Samuels matched up on a lb.:cool:

20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Last season, when the play calling allowed him to run routes past the line of scrimmage (and over the middle), he made the catches.:shrug:

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You'll see more of it. Can't put much stock into that NE game.

He jumped from no production in Dallas to 253 yards last season on 36 receptions, 7 yards per catch.

I expect a big jump his second year here.

Only thing that may prevent it is if JW, Moncrief and DJ all perform well. Would definitely cut into his production.

22. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    36 for 253 is a running back's receiving stat line. I don't get why we don't just use an actual running back for these plays if that's all Switzer can do. He's extremely limited as a receiver is my point.

23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    What they've asked him to do is extremely limited so far this season (1 game).

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You're ignoring that it was his first year here and that he isn't a finished product. He didn't start getting a steady stream of snaps until week 11. You're ignoring the 7 yards per catch and jump in production from his first year in the league to his second.

He's a slot receiver so Im not sure what your point is that he is extremely limited as a receiver unless you mean all slot receivers are limited.

He runs good routes, has good hands and knows his assignments. Thats what you want from your receivers. He's never going to be tall or play on the outside but he can find a niche in the slot. If he matches Rogers best season with 706 yards and 3 TD's, is he still an extremely limited receiver?

25. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    What I mean by him being extremely limited is that he almost never makes a reception longer than 10 yards and that he's basically being used as a pass catching RB. I don't see the point when we have several RBs that can catch the ball and also be a RB. If Switzer turns into a legit slot receiver that'd be great but he isn't one so far.