1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sutton returns

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Oct 31, 2017.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I'm just glad Sutton can get back in the mix...

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Ayers is on New England PS, he said when the Steelers cut him he wouldn't re-sign with the Steelers.

3. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Gays got the experience, but being still good is a little much. Brady lit him up in the playoffs last year. He seems old and slow, thats why he is not starting. This may be his last year.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Unless there's an injury I doubt Sutton it's on the active roster the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He wouldnt sign with the Steelers...but if they get him off the Pats PS he either quits the NFL or plays for the Steelers

HACK

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if ayers was that good he would be on a roster and playing. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I love Ayers, but isn't he on NE's practice squad? We'd have to put him on the 53-man for remainder of season wouldn't we?

Edit: never mind. I should have read page 2 before posting

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I hope Sutton makes it to the active roster. The DBs are playing good so far, but I would hate to see him lose a year of learning experience. Just can't think of a spot to replace. Moats?? Rogers??

I'd put Gay on the shelf like they've done with JH92 and work him in on dime coverages. They are saying he hasn't missed a beat with regards to the DB meeting room

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    possibility of mccullers? does he have PS eligibility? hunter? we did drop an o-lineman and added a wr to the PS. ( in a related note: we only have one O-lineman on the practice squad and thats a center) hawkins? a possible mystery injury to someone sending them to the IR? :hmm::smiley1::cool:

10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I would not blame the debacle solely on Gay. Brady shredded the entire d. They looked lost . Brady can make defenses look like that.

11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree the whole defense played bad. Gay was singled out as really bad that day. I think Sutton can play man coverage better than Gay and actually something Gay cant do. We are going to need need man coverage to beat Brady and we need to get use to some man now before we really need to.

Lets face it Gay will be gone next year, and a repeat of the same defense against Brady will be just stupid.

12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Gays time is running out. Amazing how he never missed any games or practices. Love his commitment .. Takes his job serious. Posters on here years ago would talk crap about William but he was indeed worthy to put on a Steelers uniform. Sutton will be his replacement but it's too soon imho

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They would only sign a WR off a PS if they suffered injuries at the WR position, Ayers isn't good enough to be on the Steelers active roster.

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Strangely they signed a WR and a Tackle to the PS which begs the question who is getting cut. Hunter or a linemen?

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    My money is still on it being Hunter.

They didnt trade Bryant and at least one team inquired, the Bills. They must be counting on him to contribute still.

16. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Big Dan McCullers, bye, bye!

17. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Wait, Gay may not be that good but you can't use the Pat's game as an indictment; tell me what DB looked decent that game. Dumpster fire.

18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Do you agree we will need to play man coverage against the Patriots as our zone just dose not cut it against Brady throwing to Amendola, Edelman, and Chris Hogan.? I also would rather have Sutton play these guys in man coverage verses Gay because he can't play man. I think our other corners can play man if needed when we play them.

Your right they all looked bad in zone coverage against them, but they even admitted we didnt have people that could play man coverage. Like I said in other post, "to do the same thing against the Patriots is just plan stupid." I would take Hilton, Burns, Hayden and Sutton playing man versus Burns, Cockrell, Gay playing zone. We also have to play man with who ever is back there as Brady will pick apart any zone as he releases too quick for pass rush and is accurate as any body. Our only defense against them is man coverage.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

NE's offense is actually designed to defeat man. Steelers need to mix coverages, give them different looks. Won't matter much, Brady defeats both all year long.

I disagree about the pass rush. From the outside its no good but up the middle will disrupt Brady and that, is the only way to beat NE.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The diamond front the texans use seems to be the best defense to stymie Brady:

It's a similar idea to what the Jets did to the Patriots under Rex Ryan, what the Broncos did to them in the AFC Championship game in 2015, and what the Chiefs did just a couple of weeks ago: Flood the short-to-intermediate area of the field with defenders to force Brady to hold onto the football, and win your one-on-one matchups up front.

Pressure and coverage. Even the best quarterback in football can't help but be stymied by that combination when it works.

http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/new...diamond-front-could-be-handful-brady-patriots

21. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    This also looks good. Like to see us try the diamond front before we try it on them. We could call it Diamond's diamond front. lol

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I hadn’t thought of Benjamin. I was surprised that Carolina traded him, and it never occurred to me to think about whether we tried - or should have tried. I like what he brings to the table. Too bad. Gone now.

23. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yeah, up the middle is key. Don't let him get comfortable and stepping into throws. Make him move. I saw a stat recently that had Brady as one of the worst QB's throwing outside of the pocket.

24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It would help if the O could actually put up that elusive 30 and then we can go from there.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    And the O should put up 30 something against them. That would also help out the defense in time of possession and keep their O on the sidelines.