1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Suspension Coming for Harrison?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 12to88, Dec 9, 2011.

1. sologig

sologig Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    you hear alot about him being a repeat offender,but then Seymour punches someone AGAIN, it brings 30k fine.
    won't be surprised ,disappointed,but not surprised if James sits a game. i'm thinking and hoping 40k fine tho.

2. swang228

swang228 Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Do you think the Rooneys help pay for these fines or do they strictly come out of Harrisons pocket?

3. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have to say this was exactly what I was saying all last season on most of Harrison's (and Clark's fines) tackles after he was getting fined all the time. I know that sometimes when a body collision happens and a player can't control their head with a heavy helmet and on it, the helmets will smack together. But, it looked like James ducked right before the hit and used the crown a bit. :shrug:

When it happened live I blew up at the officials, "he was out of the pocket and a runner yadda yadda yadda", but on further review it seems like a penalty with the new rule. A fine maybe, but not a suspension. Goodell might pull some :bscow: because of what he calls history. Let's hope he knows he used Harrison for a while as an example and considers that akin to time served when NOBODY knew what would be flagged and not. Now we all pretty much know.

4. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I get sick of that talk. Anyone who has ever played football knows when you make contact your head has to come down some. Any FB player that tackles with his helmet (totally) up is not a good football player or grabbing a jersey. Go through and watch every "hit' in the NFL and the helmet has to come down some to get into postition to make a hit. Otherwise you do not get your hips down and you get blowing back.

This erks me every time someone says this. But it is what they always say on tv. And all the ex players know it is not true. They even made a mention of it on the NFL network on Thursday.

5. bettisfan

bettisfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Once a quarterback leaves the pocket he loses all of his "protection" he is fair game and can be leveled just like a running back. Harrison never should have been flagged.

6. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Agreed. I think that part of the hit is going to get him a 1 game suspension.

7. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If he gets suspended for the 49er game, I would say the league looks fixed.

8. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Dude, I played and clearly know the difference between lowering your head and upper body to make a tackle and dipping just your helmet like that for a high hit / tackle. I love this player and defend all the time. I knew he was going to get fined the moment I saw the replay and not because it was him or because of goodell, it's because of what they are fineing for. If this is your position then tell me your opinion on the tackle ray ray put on Ward? A penalty type hit or not? We can't have it both ways. By the way, head slaps and clothes lines used to be legal also, nobody seems to be pining for those days. Should we go back to that? Honest question, not sarcasm or passive aggression either.

9. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Consipracy theories crack me up.

:roflmao:

10. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I do not like any of the penaltys where someone changes planes and a defensive player is supposed to guys where his head is going to be. Why is it not Colt who should get out of the way. It used to be a QB/WR would duck or make a move because they knew they would get hit. Now they can do whatever they want because they are not worried about getting hit.

11. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    I do not like any of the penaltys where someone changes planes and a defensive player is supposed to guys where his head is going to be. Why is it not Colt who should get out of the way. It used to be a QB/WR would duck or make a move because they knew they would get hit. Now they can do whatever they want because they are not worried about getting hit.[/quote:2p0gy06i]

I find it very hard to believe that QBs aren't worried about being hit.

12. sec108

sec108 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Didnt the announcers just say there is no helmet to helmet calls on running backs on a play where Mendy got stuffed near the endzone?? Colt was way out of the pocket and maybe a foot from crossing the line of scrimage--at that point he was a running back.

13. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Goodell doesn't care about RBs, only WRs and QBs.

14. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Should not have been 'Roughing the Passer', which is what they called. Maybe, and just maybe, Unnecessary Roughness for the H2H contact. But, as has been stated here many times, McCoy was, at that point, a running back and there should not have been a flag.

15. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!: :this!: :this!: 100%

16. white_steel_wolfe

white_steel_wolfe Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Nope. If he does get suspended then I call bull****.

Mcoy deserved that for playing like a little *****. :glare:

17. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Not to mention, a good part of the time, it is the RB that is delivering the blow with HIS helmet.

Goodell doesn't care about defensive players' safety at all.

18. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    nope.

can't recall where it was (i think nfl.com) but the QB only gives up protection if he clearly is a runner (aka tucks in the ball and runs across the LoS) - just scrambling doesn't count.
    where he is on the field (as long as it's on "his" side of the LoS) doesn't matter.

will try and find the section in the rule book on that.

ah yeah, here it is
    source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... orthcoming

19. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Ok, I just read that once and understand it. Not saying I agree with it, but understand it clearly. I have to think the team and players have gone over these.

These professional players who make millions should know these rules (and the whole rule book) since it is such an issue.

20. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    He will get most definitely get suspended. He has knocked out so many players in last 2 seasons and the league's policy about that is not to be comprehensive with the Defensive player's argument, but to offensive players' safety. (at least, that's what they preach)

I guess if you judge the play by itself, it was a defensive player trying to stop an offensive player who was running for a first down.
    It's clearly not the same as if McCoy was sit on the pocket without being running and just released the ball without looking at the defensive player and then got a cheap shot. The guy did made an attempt to run, was aware someone was about to hit him and still kept running forward.
    Even with current rules I think Harrison has a strong argument with that. But, in today's NFL it's not ok to hit a "defenseless" QB. I wonder what "defenseless" means, as some have said, Big Ben has been same kind of "defenseless" but the guys hitting him have not been flagged enough.

We don't like it, but 2 things have changed: rules, and the way hits are allowed/punished. And football is not anymore the way it was meant to be played.

Just think about this:
    Scenario A) Imagine Singletary, Lambert, Butkus, Ham, Lawrence Taylor and Derrick Thomas were at a bar watching the game. Do you ever think anyone will call for a flag after the play?
    Scenario B) And about this: same bar, but Goodell, Art Shell and a couple of league employees watching the play. What do you think their take will be?

Agree on the unnecesary roughness argument (no way it's roughing the passer, since it hit came less than 1 1/2 steps after McCoy released the ball).

21. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I do not like any of the penaltys where someone changes planes and a defensive player is supposed to guys where his head is going to be. Why is it not Colt who should get out of the way. It used to be a QB/WR would duck or make a move because they knew they would get hit. Now they can do whatever they want because they are not worried about getting hit.[/quote:2ybetc6q]

1st) You are right and I agree. But, I still think you are arguing a different point in the same topic. The only thing I am disputing with you it whether or not used he head in a spearing manner. I think he did and it seems you don't. I was fine with it when it was allowed and now it's not. If it gets him suspended then he better learn or I'll deem him a fool for playing outside the rules. I like his aggression, but don't cost us yardage.

On your second point: McCoy was obviously not pursuing Harrison, it's the other way around. So, in this play, as the only example we are talking about, why should he get the penalty? He didn't duck because he was trying to finish a play (and not making a move that will cause a penalty). Harrison is the cause of the collision. If McCoy lowered his head and aimed it in a spearing fashion like it looked to me Harrison did (ever so slightly, I might add) then I'd agree.

This doesn't seem hard to grasp. You think it was a cause of the smacking together and I think Harrison aimed. He shouldn't have done it if he didn't want the penalty or fine.

Please don't anyone question my fan-dom either because I knew it was a penalty after replay. Me liking the rule vs. understanding the rule are vastly different things.

22. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    1st) You are right and I agree. But, I still think you are arguing a different point in the same topic. The only thing I am disputing with you it whether or not used he head in a spearing manner. I think he did and it seems you don't. I was fine with it when it was allowed and now it's not. If it gets him suspended then he better learn or I'll deem him a fool for playing outside the rules. I like his aggression, but don't cost us yardage.

On your second point: McCoy was obviously not pursuing Harrison, it's the other way around. So, in this play, as the only example we are talking about, why should he get the penalty? He didn't duck because he was trying to finish a play (and not making a move that will cause a penalty). Harrison is the cause of the collision. If McCoy lowered his head and aimed it in a spearing fashion like it looked to me Harrison did (ever so slightly, I might add) then I'd agree.

This doesn't seem hard to grasp. You think it was a cause of the smacking together and I think Harrison aimed. He shouldn't have done it if he didn't want the penalty or fine.

Please don't anyone question my fan-dom either because I knew it was a penalty after replay. Me liking the rule vs. understanding the rule are vastly different things.[/quote:1luo2jwq]

I don't at all. :)

But it's a matter of perception I guess. That slight head dip - to me - just looked like a natural "bracing" move in anticipation of impact. But I don't think any of us know what was going through Jame's mind at that instant.