1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Suspension Coming for Harrison?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 12to88, Dec 9, 2011.

1. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Some talk on ESPN this morning that Harrison could face a suspension over his hit to McCoy, due to him being a repeat offender. As we know, JH is the league's poster child for illegal hits. But Florio (whom I don't really like) has an interesting take:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... f-ruleboo/

2. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I think his chances of missing suspension would have been significantly better had they not shown the slow mo replay with his head dipping slightly.

If it was a face mask to face mask hit, I'd think he could make a valid argument against penalties, fines or suspensions (Harrison's face mask is friggen huge, there's no other place to put it).

Personally I think the NFL has gone too far with these new "guidelines" / rules. I've heard some people say "lead with your shoulder". Well, that would lead me to believe there's going to be more missed tackles, as it'd be easier to avoid than a full frontal bear hug tackle.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    It would disgust me, but it wouldn't really surprise me all that much. Here's what Harrison said about it:
    "From what I understand, once the quarterback leaves the pocket, he's considered a runner," Harrison said. "All the defenseless(ness) and liberties that a quarterback has in the pocket are gone and you can tackle him just as he's a running back. The hit wasn't late, so I really don't understand why it was called."

4. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would be stunned if he doesnt miss a game for the hit...... :eek:

5. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I read the article but the write-in comments by all the Steeler haters was definately the better read. LMAO at all those Steeler hating morons who are basically calling for Harrison to be jailed and subsequently lynched ! LOL just LOL !!

6. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I saw that too. Very interesting. Harrison is right up there with Suh, in terms of fan hatred. Look, I understand why the league has put in the new rules, but I also know and understand the violent nature of this sport. Most of do, who've been watching the NFL for the past several decades. Just this morning, NFL Network ran a "NFL Top 10" show featured the most feared tacklers. Guess what? Most of the highlights--from guys like Lambert, Lewis, tatum, Atwater, Lott, and Butkus--were hist like the one we saw last night.

7. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It drives me nuts the people that blatantly hate on people like Harrison just because he plays the game the way it was meant to be played. You're absolutely right about the feared tacklers laying people out like Harrison has been. There's a reason Jack Lambert is my favorite player of all time.

I absolutely hate Goodell and what he is doing to our NFL. This is a violent sport, which players voluntarily partake in (not to mention the millions of dollars in compensation), and oh by the way... us fans, paying for their millions are paying to watch the violence. I don't watch baseball, and I rarely watch basketball. I'm not saying I want to see people maimed or messed up for life, but come on! Let's focus on developing state of the art padding/helmets rather than over complicating the rules to the point that the refs aren't even able to provide truly fair and accurate officiating.

And in case I didn't get my point across the first time... I hate Roger Goodell and what he is doing to our game!

8. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I bet he won't miss any games.

9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Just had this discussion with a friend of mine who's a Raven fan. He was telling me he's dirty and should be suspended. I reminded him of what Lewis did and Suggs on both Mendy and Ward. He got mad and decided to say how dirty Ward is every-time he blindsides and helmet hits a defender. I again reminded of the bounties and subsequent hits with intent to injure. He just got mad at that point. LMAO

10. harristotle

Oct 17, 2011
    See you went wrong when you had a discussion with a ratbirds fan ;)

11. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree wit harrison last night when I saw the tackle. I was saying he was a runner! But, once they gave him the penalty I said to the guy next to me he might get suspended. I sure hope not. We will need him and Woodley on the same field for once IN HOW MANY GAMES?

12. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    On a side note, did anyone else notice Cleveland`s linebacker (forget his name, now),laying a wicked forearm shot to Ben`s HEAD, in the first half, and not even getting a penalty for it?!?!
    I hate to whine about those type of plays, because it is how the game I grew up with was played...
    But...
    If we had done it, you can bet your ass... we woulda been penalized, possibly ejected!
    If we gotta play soft, or suffer the consequenses, so should every other team, and not just when they are playing Marcia, Rodgers, Brees, etc.!!!
    Just royally ticked me off, and I`m surprised I didn`t see it brought up in any threads, today.

13. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I saw that and was screaming at the TV like a madman!

14. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    After thinking about it, I believe it was Sheard, the lineman, but still...
    We do that, our player woulda been thrown outta the game!
    So, I got no problem with Harrison`s hit, other than it should have come way earlier, and been more effective, in taking out their QB!!!

15. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    i bet he gets 0 game suspension and 75k fine

16. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Didn't he get flagged for that? Taylor I think it was.

17. harristotle

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't remember who it was, but I'm pretty sure you're right about there being a flag thrown.

18. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    We're 13 games into the season, and AFAIK this is Harrison's first offense this season. On a bang-bang play where it appeared as if Colt was going to run.

Goodell will fine him because Goodell can't help himself. But if Harrison gets suspended over this, it's time for a boycott.

19. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    not sure to be honest ... it probably was the right call to throw a flag for helmet-to-helmet and i wouldn't be too upset if James would have to pay a fine (even if it's 100,000+ considering he's a repeat offender, doubt they'll reset their "list" each year) because as stupid as the rules are, they are the rules ...

a suspension would be too much, James has a good case - McCoy had turned into a runner and only just flipped the ball as James was going in for the - at that point still legal - hit/tackle.

20. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    My thoughts as well.Good clean hit on a RB!!

21. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    A good hit not a clean hit. He lowered the crown of his helmet. Just sayin....

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm interested (I've lost track of all the rule changes) - from an objective point of view (as hard as it is), is Harrison right or wrong about this? Or was it the helmet to helmet that he was being called on?

23. 43FOLyfe!

43FOLyfe! Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Look at the situation (which I hope the league does, but since Goodsmell hates us, it will hurt)...

To players running full steam at another, Colt ditches the ball. Now what the heck is Harrison supposed to do? Dive out of the way? Not possible. They are going to collide now now matter what. Harrison does the right thing: He hunkers down (going at full speed, mind you), lowers his body so that his shoulder will take the hit and hope for the best. Problem is, Colt McCoy does the same exact thing, and voila! Earth collides with Mercury and Mercury gets done blown up.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Get out the check book, this one is going to be expensive.

25. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    What your friend and the rest of the haters won't admit is it's not really the Steeler players they hate as much as it is those 6 Lomabardi trophies. That's what really chafes their ass because they know they might live their entire life and they'll never experience the Joy of winning like a Pittsburgh Steeler fan has :drinks: