1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Surprised

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Jan 7, 2019.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This guy will be unemployed for all of about 1 week. Maybe I just missed all the problems with the running game?:shrug:

Maybe Mike found a scapegoat for the Ridley fumble.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    This move is another head scratcher and just confusing. We got bigger fish to fry. Looks like there is no thought process to fix whats wrong.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe he was a pain in the butt about the whole Bell thing?

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, thats a weird one.

One could hope this means they are going to fire Tomlin and want the new HC to be able to bring in his own staff.

Other than that, I got nothing :shrug:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    It's weird for sure and while I don't have the link, it's been reported amongst the current never ending sea of talking heads that Porter was causing division between the D and the O which is something I can totally see that dude doing... Maybe Saxon lead a possible rebuttal from the O side? Maybe TomLin is cleaning house with some easier/expendable mouth pieces? Idk but I'd like to see bigger issues addressed than the damn RB coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Maybe he is going to become Arians OC in Tampa Bay.

7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It might be that they're looking for guys to challenge the culture that aren't Tomlin's friends?

• Like Like x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Not sure what we are doing but whatever

9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    After some thought.....

I remember several times Samuels missing his protection assignment giving up sacks on Ben.

Ridley, known to fumble, fumbles in the most critical situation .....

Didn't Connor have a couple fumbles????

Attention to details and protection of the QB and Ball will make or break you !!!

Cajun

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Every rookie RB struggles with protection. If they are holding Saxon responsible for that, it's pretty harsh.

Same with holding his feet to the fire for not being able to fix Ridleys fumbling ways.

Conner was careless with the ball, I can see that being pinned on Saxon.

Overall though, his body of work has been very good. Strange move.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Take that Artie Burns!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    We never know what relationships are like behind the scenes. Could be lots of reasons we don't know about beyond "oh the running backs were pretty good". Much more to a coaching staff than that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Sacrificial lamb plain and simple. They are trying to calm a fan base down that the majority of which wants Butler fired and a good portion wants Tomlin gone as well. That is what I believe is happening but it could also be the Rooney's sending Tomlin a message by letting "his guys" walk. Part of me wants to believe that Tomlin is being sent a message because I can't understand how they keep him in place with all the drama coming out of the team at the end of the season.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Bring in tim spencer.:cool:

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    True. But that's boring and not sexy at all...;)

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It could be a multitude of reasons. It could be either of what you said . It could be money. There are a lot of new HCs that are gonna need staff. It could be related to that somehow as well. We will probably never know unless some one says something specifically about it. It could be some sort of culture change and they are eliminating expiring contracts first.
    IMO the fact that Butler is still here a week later. He's probably staying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    The Rooney’s will see a s**t storm if they let 2 black coaches go. 1 whom shouldn’t of been and 2 who’s players were decent but then keep the white coach that should be fired. With all of that swirling around the NFL this year with the firings, it could be another story that the Steelers have to explain.

18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    In that case Colbert should fire himself for bringing in Ridley, a plug who is known to fumble, instead of a guy like CJA. He should also fire himself for all his terrible defensive draft picks over the years. Since apparently anything short of perfection is a fireable offence...

Just craziness what's going on with this team.

19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Firing the RB coach seems an odd way of calming the fan base, though. So far it seems to have achieved a lot of head scratching instead.

I imagine it has more to do with something which we're not seeing.

It's a shame, though, I thought we'd done well to get him when he first signed with us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Not all rookies struggle with pass protection but it isn't uncommon. When it's known there is a struggle then it's the position coaches job to help fix that issue.

Tiki Barber had a fumbling issue. Tim Coughlin came in, changed how he carried the ball and fixed the problem.

Still, it does seem the RB group was being coached well and succeeding, but how much of their success actually lands at the feet of Munchak and his OL?

Cajun

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    A very unusal change for certain. Why Saxon was let go I have not the foggiest. Increase in fumbles among the Running Backs overall this season?!

If not, truly odd.

22. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Yep. Saxon gone, fumble-gate resolved. Porter gone, no more division between O & D. All fixed!

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Somebody has to take the fall. There will be more coming. Just wait.

24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Certainly hope so because so far this is not going to make one bit of difference nor improve this team. This just looks like a way to distract and hide the obvious coaching issues.

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Both Porter and Saxons contracts expired. I fear that we will still see this:

215px-The_Wizard_of_Oz_Ray_Bolger_1939.jpg