1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Superfly Snuka Passed Away

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    He wasn't acquitted. They dropped the case due to his failing health and inability to testify (dementia).

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I misspoke, don't know where I got acquitted from.

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I loved him growing up but there's no doubt about it that he got away with murder. I've been keeping up with that for a long time because I'm still a die hard fan of old school wrestling.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont know about murder, maybe manslaughter. He pushes her during an argument and she hits her head, something like that. Definitely suspicious circumstances.

I dont think he planned to kill her. We'll never know though.

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    She had bruises all over her. Not just on her head. Her family has been trying to get justice for this for years and a lot of people think that Vince McMahon stonewalled the crap out of this thing to protect his company. Which would not surprise me even in the least. Snuka was a HUGE draw at the time this happened and his feud with Don Muracco was putting butts in seats all over the place. This was during the territory days and before the true boom of the mid-80's. The company was definitely on its way up at this time and I could totally see Vince doing all he could to bury this. I will always think that he killed her but I put him in the same category as like Bill Cosby. I love the character that he played but the actual dude behind it probably leaved a lot to be desired. He's also a complete legend for how much cocaine he could do as well.

8. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    I was never a wrestling fan, but my girlfriend in the 60's was, her and her daddy used to watch it together, so I had to watch it too.
    I seem to remember a superfly snuka all the way back then, I thought he used to wrestle George "The Animal" Steele. Bruno Sammartino was big then too. Pittsburgh was a major wrestling town. Seemed like everybody liked Andre the Giant. I went to a show one time and a wrestler named Big John stud tried to hit on my girl - we had ringside seats.

9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I remember when Big John won the Royal Rumble. It made absolutely zero sense for that to happen at that time. Bruno was definitely huge in your territory back in the day. Bruno's a class act too and his life story is amazing. He was basically the Ric Flair of the north.

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    These guys mostly wrestled in the '80's though, right? Not the 60s...

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    No Bruno was huge in the 70's and so was Flair. Flair was bigger in the territories but got his start in the 70's and feuded with Harley Race back then. He really blew up on the national scene because of TBS and his feud with Dusty Rhodes and also an epic one with Ricky Steamboat. Of course he also led the Horsemen. Then in 1990 he sort of passed the baton to Sting when he dropped the belt to him at Great American Bash in Baltimore which is maybe the all time highlight of my childhood when Sting put him in that small package and finally was able to beat him. Epic! Then 2 years later Flair went to WWF but Bruno was gone and Hulkamania had really cooled down. His run there kinda sucked really. Bruno was a huge star in the 70's and in to the 80's but then when Vince Sr. found Bob Backlund Bruno was finally able to give it a rest and pass it to Backlund who passed it to Shiek who passed it to Hogan. Bruno hated the flash of the 80's boom, despised Ric Flair, and absolutely loathed the Attitude Era. Also he turned on Vince during the roid scandal and there was a ton of bad blood there. But in recent years they've chilled and he even was inducted in to the Hall of Fame a couple of years or so ago. Although their "Hall of Fame" is a complete joke. He's still a true legend though and was discovered wrestling a monkey in Pittsburgh. He's still a Steelers fan too. Won his first title in the 60's.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Ever heard of Wrestling at the Chase?

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Used to imitate him in backyards, jumping off walls and stuff, amazing no one ever broke anything :lolol:

Lot of colorful characters in the 80's, lost interest in it after that decade. George the Animal Steel was another one I liked. Hacksaw Jim Duggan too. And of course loved to hate Rowdy.

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    No it was always at the Omni for us because that's the part of the NWA territory in Atlanta that we got to see. Also Smoky Mountain Wrestling was pretty big down here when I was really little with guys like Bullet Bob Armstrong, Dirty White Boy, Mongolian Stomper, and Ron and Robert Fuller. Vince put all those guys out of business though really when he went nationwide.