1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Bowl XLlll: Steelers vs Cardinals

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rick, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    The NFL posted the full game on YouTube.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I still get uneasy every time I watch the 4th quarter

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Wow- had no idea I could catch the "entire" game on YouTube - Thanks !! This was my favorite all-time Steelers game - at least until last weeks win hosting the Ravens.

4. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Related question on THE PLAY: what's the legality of Fitzgerald running ~30 yards out of bounds, then coming back into the field of play as he's tackling Harrison? I've never seen any discussion of it.

5. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I forgot how athletic Ben used to be. Dude should lose some weight.

6. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    What's up with that anyway ? Usually black will make you look much thinner but those rush uniforms didn't help in Bens case. He's still extremely athletic yet could stand to lose a good 20-25 pounds.

7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    It probably has more to do with the fact it was 7 years and several injuries ago. Not to mention, he doesn't need to be as mobile with Brown & Bell and the way our OL is playing. Cut him some slack, most of us are carrying a few more lbs than we were 7 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    That's what happens when you get married
    Good cookin and good lovin will do that to a man

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    The Start was perfect with One of the best National Anthems ever, the middle was perfect with Silverback's Int/TD, and the Ending was perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It wasn't legal, but the officials missed it. They did not throw a flag on the play.

11. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I watched this last night. I forgot how much the OL struggled with Dockett. That last drive was a think of beauty though as well as ending the game on a fumble recovery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I thought Deebo's pick six was easily going to be craziest play/moment of the game...then Big Ben throws to a half in the covers Holmes, sensational haul by Holmes...(just a play after Holmes had a ball go through his fingertips on a very similar throw to the opposite side of the endzone)

I LOVE PLAYOFF FOOTBALL!!! STEEEELTOWN BABY !!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    I think we have a SB contender but we don't have as good of a team now as that team in 08. IMO we need to get better if we think we're going to make a run. Especially on defense. Someone needs to step it up to the next level. We desperately need another play maker on both sides of the ball.

QB - even. Ben moved better in 2008. Maybe a smarter QB now?
    RB - 2016. Parker was good. Bell is great.
    WR - 2008 Heath, Ward, Holmes, Parker has the edge. Each was damn good. Now Ben's basically got 2 good options in Brown and Bell. We might need to get Green back to have any chance to make the Sb.
    OL - slight edge to 2016 - 2016 team is better at pass blocking. Maybe even at run blocking.

DL - 2008 - not even close
    LB - 2008 - not even close
    secondary - 2008 - not even close

ST's - 2008

Looking at these two teams if that's what it takes to win a SB we need to continue our progression on defense. We need Tuitt back 100%. We need the rookies to take another step forward. We need Rogers to progress to a #2. Someone on defense needs to be a playmaker. Maybe Bud can be that guy?

14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Difference between this defense and 08 defense was...

When you needed a stop to win the game, you bet your ass they would get it.

.42 seconds 2 timeouts with warner=fumble

.47 seconds 3 timeouts with dak =td

Splash plays splash plays oh splash plays

15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree with all of that.

If the Steelers had Martavis Bryant at WR with AB, I'd give a slight edge to '16 at WR.... if Green was in the lineup, too.

16. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    I guess what concerns me is the defensive issues we have now. This team has not played like a SB contender but I think we still have the ability to do so.

We are trending upward. We'll need to continue that trend. We must get more out of our defense. Otherwise I see this team getting booted out of the playoffs rather quickly. We've got some big issues and I think comparing this team to 2008 really makes those issues obvious.

IMO it probably comes down to the need for more play makers on both sides of the ball. Ben needs another WR to step it up... a healthy Green could fix that problem. Our defense desperately needs someone to become a game changer. This defense has a bend , not break mentality. We need a defense that can shut you down when needed. We need someone that will come up with the big turnovers and sacks. IMO we can still get that if Shazier, Dupree, and Tuitt step it up. As good as they've been, we also need to get more from our rookies. They're playing their best ball now, but they need to take that next step.

17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think this offense might be better, though maybe not as consistent

18. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Was there and the AFCCG verse the Ravens. I'll never be able to choose the more amazing play, Troy's pick 6 or James TD, but will always be thankful I experienced them live. I will say the Troy pick was more enjoyable, being able to enjoy it with 60,000 Steelers fans in the freezing cold. SB are too laid back in my lone experience.

19. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Keamatu was one ugly face.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah,

59:25 of stress

:35 of elation

21. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Used to be..? He made some pretty athletic plays just last week. eg. Bell's TD catch

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelcurtainmrp

Nov 15, 2016
    Mostly agree with this. Only thing is I would prefer 16's WRs just because I believe there is more depth. Also, this years OLine is MUCH better than 08's. Do you remember how much criticism they got? Remember the game vs the eagles?

23. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    We've basically got 1 WR that any defense has to concern them selves with. Bell is our #2 WR and he's our RB. In 2008 Ben had options all over the field...Ward, Holmes, Miller, & N. Washington. Washington had as many catches as our #2 this year. Eli Rogers. Ward and Holmes were both pro bowl caliber WR's that ran perfect routes, blocked, and could produce YAC. Now we've got Brown and that's it. Our current WR's clearly have had issues with the mental aspect of the game. I'd argue with the exception of Brown and Rogers they have terrible ball skills as well. The 2016 team is also more sloppy and inconsistent.

Yes our O-line now is 100% better at pass blocking. This fact is what separates the current O-line from the rest and is the reason I think they are one of the best groups we've ever had. But run blocking I think we're pretty close to even when comparing the 2 groups. Maybe a slight advantage to our current line but it's not much in regards to run blocking. Bell rarely gets large holes to run through. Just watch that SB video and you'll see holes for Parker that Bell could only dream of. That 2008 group had some road graders, not to mention Ward and Heath who were light years ahead of what we currently have in regards to blocking. Bell makes yards happen. I think Parker was only effective when he was given space to run. Parker was good for a short stint, Bell has been amazing.

Defense is were the 2 teams really differ. We had play makers all over the field in 2008. (Harrison, Troy, Woodley, Hampton, Smith, Keisel, etc) Now I'm not sure if we have 1 playmaker. I guess Shazier would be our biggest impact player on D and he makes almost as many mistakes as he makes plays. This is the reason I have serious doubts about this team in the playoffs. We've been good as of late but we still need more. I also think the quality of the opponents in this years playoff group is not the best. Every team has holes, several teams have been devastated by injuries. The best Defense in the playoffs right now might be the cowboys. They're not much better than the Patriots or us or KC or Seattle. Usually the teams with the best defense and QB win playoff games.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  24. steelcurtainmrp

Nov 15, 2016
    I honestly trust Eli more than Nate Washington, he had a dropping problem. Somedays Coates looks pro bowl caliber and others he looks like he shouldn't even be on the field (maybe because of injury. We have so much more talent at TE, also. 08' obviously had Heath, but the back ups were Matt Spaeth and Sean McHugh, who was used primarily as a FB. This year we have much more athleticism at TE, and when healthy, we can even put Green out wide. Grimble is showing that he has the potential to be even better than Green. I find JJ very consistent, also.

I agree that 08' D is 100% better than this years. But I don't think cowgirls have the best defense, not even in the NFC, that would be the Giants. KC has the best D in AFC.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we have been saying that for 13 years