1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Suisham

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BurgherBoy7, Oct 16, 2011.

1. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Now Im not going to sit here and Bash our kicker or anything, but I do realize Suisham's kicking is not the greatest this season, and after today's close victory over the Jags, Im realizing those 3 points he left on the board would have been nice to have coming down the stretch. We would have had a 7 point lead instead of a 4 when that hail mary was thrown up. We all know now it doesnt matter cuz we won but still, I would have felt better with a touchdown lead heading into those final seconds. According to the steelers stats on the team page:

Suisham is 7 for 11 (thats including his blocked kick against the Texans)

Suisham is 1/1 (1-19yds) 3/3 (20-29yds) 1/3 (30-39YDS) and 2/4 (40-49yds)

I believe the block against the Texans was in the 30-39yds range. But my point is that his inconsistency could really hurt us in tight games! When he comes out to kick a field goal, part of me cringes because you never know what the outcome will be. This isn't a bring back Jeff Reed post or anything like that, its a " hey we need to get this kicking problem fixed before it really hurts us " post....

2. MexicanSteel

MexicanSteel New Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, the Steelers have a long story of reliable if not great kickers, you remember Gary Anderson?

Suisham is not there.

Arriba Steelers!

3. BurgherBoy7

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes I do remember Gary with the one bar for a face mask lol.....And I understand Heinz Field isn't the easiest place to kick in the NFL but I believe Suisham missed a 36 yard field goal in the Indy game as well and thats in a dome!

4. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think that this is a problem. He has missed to many. 7 for 11 on the season. A problem brewing. I say bring back Swayze for a try out. Maybe this lights a fire under his butt. Swayze's leg is more powerful anyway. At the rate he is going, he will miss a crucial kick at a very crucial time that will really hurt us. He miss that one in the Colts game, inside the dome! That was unacceptable. If he misses one against the Cardinals in that dome and his time is up.

5. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm with you. I defended him last year when other folks were giving him a bad wrap solely based on his performance with previous teams. I was willing to give him a chance and I thought he actually had a pretty decent year last year. That said I'm starting to think the old Suisham is starting to raise his ugly head :-(

6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I'm all for bringing in another kicker to get a look-see. If nothing else, it puts Suisham on notice that his work is less than satisfactory.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He also made a 48, 44 and 38 yarder, with that last one being a game winner. I think he's been fine since he's been here.

8. BurgherBoy7

Oct 16, 2011
    If he would have made the shortest field goal he attempted that night, there wouldnt have been a need for a game winner. I understand that game wasn't close and was not suishams fault....Im just saying the steelers like to let teams linger in games such as the jags and colts, and if we are going to keep games close, we cant have a kicker who's inconsistent and gonna make a 48yd field goal one day and then come out and miss a 36 yarder the next.

9. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes i do! He was definitely top notch. Hadn't thought about him in years! lol :grin:

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Well, to be honest, he's more than exceeded my expectations of him. I don't think many of us thought he would end up being around long considering his somewhat poor history on other teams. I'm a little nervous about what seems to be a possible lack of confidence in the kid. While he's clearly not an all star-clutch kicker, I'd say he's 'good enuff' for our needs right now. And hey, at least he stays out of trouble and isn't afraid to get in there and make a tackle *cough*.

Gary Anderson was a stud.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

I agree and don't feel he has been any more erratic then just about any other kicker since he has been here. Kickers in general make me nervous :beg: Gary Anderson is the only kicker we have had that I didn't hold my breath for when lining up for a fg. :good:

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree. He had a great start last year when he was expected to fail. Of course, if he misses some in the AZ game, it may be a different story.

Apart from Swayze, who else is on the kicking FA market at the moment?

13. CANTON STEEL

Oct 17, 2011
    Anytime I get down on our kicker I simply remember back to Kris Brown ;-)

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Eww. I think I just threw up in mouth a little bit. :)

15. CANTON STEEL

Oct 17, 2011
  16. shamyhay

shamyhay Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Hindsight is twenty-twenty, but when we had Bironas and Reed competing a few years back, looks like we backed the wrong horse. Bironas is doing pretty good for the Titans.

17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I think even though it's true Heinz is not an easy place to kick a ball that you make those kicks because its your home field. Reed seemed to be "mister consistent" during his prime

Bman

18. CANTON STEEL

Oct 17, 2011
    Reeds biggest problem was himself. The guy liked to party too much IMO

19. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Funny thing about kickers. Gerela was popular but in the late 70's I saw him miss a ton of kicks and he even shanked a few kickoffs as well. Matt Barr was super clutch.

20. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    What's wrong with Kris Brown?? You guys are talking about him like he's Tyrone Carter.

After looking up his stats, it looks like he did well his first two years (86.2% and 83.3%) and not so well his third year (68.2%).

He also had the NFL record for most field goals made to start a career. My first game, I saw his first miss, on that beautifully ugly windy rainy day in San Francisco. Ugly chain of events. Stewart-Blackwell TD called back for illegal shift, pushed back, missed FG off the uprights. Good thing we won by a couple of TDs.

He also had a cool 4th down conversion on a fake field goal. A run.

Can ya tell I'm bored? :wave:

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Some major thread necromancy here Snack - either you're bored, or you are actually Kris Brown.

22. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Heinz field is not the easiest place to kick for our kickers.I made the comment some years ago,that the visiting kickers have more success at heinz then our kickers.Suisham can't kick in a dome or outside let alone Heinz field with all its difficulties.

23. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I can't even imagine what stream of consciousness led you to this post. I don't think I eww'ed over the thought of his total performance as a Steeler, but more the memory of a couple bad plays back in 2001. I didn't follow his performance after he moved on. Interesting stats about him, though.

:lolol: :lolol: