1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Suisham steps up big

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by kwebste6, Oct 24, 2011.

1. kwebste6

kwebste6 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I know we have all doubted him at times this year, but i was nice to see him step up and go 3 for 3 on fg last night. I know they werent very long FG, but 9 points on the road is always great to have! Keep it up Suisham

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I've been saying all along that Suisham is doing fine, he's missed some kicks but so does just about everyone else. Until he starts costing us games on a regular basis there no reason to be concerned with him. Unless you are talking about a kicker like Vinatieri it's really pointless to bring in anyone else.

3. kwebste6

Oct 18, 2011
    doesnt have the strongest leg by any means, but seems to be pretty consist. He did start the year off rough though.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He made a 48 yarder, not going to be kicking many that are longer then that and if they are I'd cut any kicker slack if they missed.

5. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    lets remember he was in a dome, maybe he's a dome kicker

6. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    didn't he play a bunch of years for the Cowgirls and kick in a dome there? (and suck at it which was the reason for them cutting him?)

7. kwebste6

Oct 18, 2011
    He was decent in the regular season for the cowboys, but missed two big fg from 48 and 49 in the second round of the playoffs against brett farves vikings, then was released.

8. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I wouldn't say the Cowboys old stadium was a dome , it still had that huge opening over the middle of the field.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I think he only played a year or two with the Cryboys. Most of his time was with the Redskins I think, where he did miss 'an easy one' that cost a game vs the Saints.

He's a decent kicker who makes me a little nervous at times, but honestly...all kickers make me nervous.

10. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I know I have been tough on criticizing him on here, even recently. It was nice to see him go 3/3 yesterday. But he does not seem consistent by any means. He missed 2 from inside 30-39 yards this season. One being a big miss in the RCA dome in Indianapolis where those 3 points would have been nice to have seeing we had to have a last minute drive to win the game, and I do give him props because he made the game winner, but he might not have had to do so if he had not missed the 36 yarder. Im just saying hopefully he doesnt cost us a game any time soon. But also i dont know of anyone else out there, and i dont know if swayze waters would be any better or not.

11. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    He needs to make this kind of kicks on close games, and in open stadiums. It's been the issue with him all his carreer: inconsistency.

12. SoFlaSteelNation

SoFlaSteelNation Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know if it's because of his track record in the league of being dumped by other teams or several of the make-able misses early this year, but every time he lines up to kick I don't feel confident. If any of the next two games comes down to a Suisham kick, do we really feel confident that he's gonna be clutch? There's nothing worse than losing a hard fought game on a kickers leg.

I'll give him the benefit for now, just feel nervous.

13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I still don't understand all the hate for Suisham, so I'm glad you created this thread giving him some props. Suisham earned his spot on this team last year and was one of the most accurate kickers in the league last year after coming here mid-way through the season. If I remember correctly, there were only 2 other kickers in the league with higher accuracy rates during the regular season last year - someone may need to check me on that - don't have the energy to dig it up right now. At any rate, Suisham came in here and did exactly what he was asked to do and then some. Do you guys remember him stepping in to do the punting as well when Sepulveda went done with his annual season-ending injury in the middle of a game? Suisham came in and held his own. There were at least 2 wins last year that are attributable directly to Suisham - Buffalo & Baltimoron (2nd game). Without him, we lose those 2 games. He also was a strong contributor in the wins against Miami and Cincy.

And he is paid a helluva lot less than Skippy Reed who was starting to stink up the joint. From what I've read, Suisham is a good teammate and doesn't create the PR nightmare for the team. He is doing fine and I appreciate what he has brought here.

Dayum! I can't believe I'm writing a post giving a kicker props!!! But he has earned some respect.