1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Suisham ranks last in the NFL with a 73.1 percentage.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by edog55, Dec 26, 2011.

1. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Article about Shaun Suisham. Thie guys kicking rep is not to good. Looks like we have the worst kicker in the league. Btw, Jason Kapinos is not much better. Kapinos, the replacement of Daniel Sepulveda for the second consecutive year, is in the bottom third of the league in net average.

The more glaring problem is with K Shaun Suisham. Or, more specifically, his problem with field goals of 40 yards or more.

His 52-yard field goal against San Francisco would have been good from 52.5 yards, and the surprise of that successful kick was quickly drowned out when he missed a 48-yarder later in the game. He currently ranks last in the NFL with a 73.1 percentage.

It's the longer ones that make or break a kicker's career. Missing 40+ yard field goals has been an alarming trend for Suisham - and the Steelers recently.

Dating back to the 2010 playoffs, Suisham is 6-for-13 (46.1 percent) from 40 yards or longer. Both of Suisham's misses in the post-season - one from 43 yards against Baltimore and from 52 against Green Bay in the Super Bowl - were in close games.

Of the last 10 Super Bowl champions, none have missed more than one field goal of 40+ yards in the playoffs.

Suisham made Steelers fans forget ousted K Jeff Reed, who was abysmal in his nine final games in Pittsburgh (68.2 percent). He hit 14-of-15 in the final seven regular season games, including 8-of-9 from 40+ yards.

He had to work to get the team's field goal percentage up to 78.4 percent, good for 25th in the league. The bottom fell out though, and the Steelers have fallen from 92 percent in 2007, best in the league in Tomlin's first season, to last by Week 14 of 2011.

There aren't any reports swirling about the Steelers auditioning new kickers. Salary cap space largely limits any potential transactions, but with Suisham's recent streak of inaccuracy, the Steelers may have to loosen up the restrictions on going for it in 4th-and-short situations inside the opponents' 33 to 23 yard lines.

Special teams, especially the individuals kicking the ball, factor in heavily come post-season time. While San Francisco may not have to worry, the Steelers certainly do.

Looks like both of our kickers do not give us a very good chance to win in a close game. Looks like the Steelers need to make a move in free agency to get a kicker and a punter. Maybe in the draft, but somethings needs to happen.

2. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    We need a kicker a.s.a.p. Hopefully we address this GLARING need next year.

3. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    What do you expect from a guy they called "Miss 'em Suisham" in Dallas?

4. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Bad kickers are easy to come by. Great kickers are hard to find and almost impossible to hold onto.

Skippy was clutch for a while but had an easy time finding trouble off the field.

The Steelers really messed up when let Gary Anderson go. That was a HUGE mistake.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    while i'm not too confident on sushi i like kapinos ,seem he is good placer

6. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    [youtube:31fvsts9]R-3DDFGvnII[/youtube:31fvsts9]

7. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Also found this gem:

[youtube:1uvhahek]vztrvkvPFHU[/youtube:1uvhahek]

8. sologig

sologig Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    i was really wanting connor barth back when jeff towel reed was having his run in with dispensers : wide right on that one
    now casey barth will stay at school as of now so that's another year but atleast his leg stregnth wikl be better when he graduates

it is nerve nail biting and lil to zero confidence in WISHUM between the uprights
    has janikowski knocked anyone up yet??? should we do like soccor teams and sign them when they are 7 years old

9. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    While it seems as if you guys are right....who do you want to get that will be available?

10. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    No one. As bad as he is, you can't replace him now. At least you know what you've got. You're stuck with him until next year.

11. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I know but who do you want next year?

12. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Adam Vinateri :hehehe:

To be serious. No idea who will be available on the market, but I guess it can't hurt to grab an UDFA or two, let them compete with Suishan in camp/preseason and keep see if they are worth a practice squad spot

13. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He's so inconsistent. I get a lot of Skins games televised here and he shanked a 23-yard field goal once to cause them to lose to the Saints. He scares me in big games.

14. steelerzfannforever

steelerzfannforever Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What about Petr Chezk..I think thats his name. He has a cannon of a leg and has been in camp the last few seasons. Im not sure if he has the best accuracy, but I think with some work he could be a heck of a kicer for us.

15. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If your statement that great kickers are almost impossible to hold onto, then the Steelers should not have a hard time finding a good one when free agency starts. Whats the problem? Lets get someone capable, and not Daniel Sepulveda who can't srtay healthy. For God's sake don't sign him again. They need to go in a new direction.

At this point, Sepulveda, Suisham, and Jeremy Kapinos all need to be gone. Start fresh with some young talent next season.

16. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Didn't you read the book on him at the top of the post: Kapinos is not much better. Kapinos, the replacement of Daniel Sepulveda for the second consecutive year, is in the bottom third of the league in net average.

Just look at what the 49ers punter did to us in that game. That will tell you how bad Kapinos is. A guy who was out on the streets because no one else wanted him. He got another shot because Sepulveda got hurt one more time. Both of them need to be gone!!!!!!

17. sologig

sologig Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Ben doesn't do that bad. The fact that he has a bum leg might not be a wise thing,although i would lean to believe he might be into the idea of being punter or faker

18. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Punters are punters - very expendable. There is Andy Lee, Shane Lechler, and then the rest. I'm fine being in "the rest" category. As long as our punter doesn't shank it and averages a gross of over 40 yards I'm happy. I think Kapinos is our punter next year, and we'll bring in some young undrafter FA to compete with him in camp. We'll be ok there.

Kicker is much more important. Either we draft one of the more accurate college kickers (don't have any names at this point) or bring in 3 FA's to compete for the spot. Suisham has to go. I'd rather not pick up another team's castoff, but he'd likely be better than Suish so I guess I could handle that move.