1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Streaming TV devices?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by thesteeldeal, Mar 18, 2015.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Any of you guys/gals familiar with some of these media streamers? I'm not talking Roku or Fire TV....but the more open source devices. Just bought one myself and was looking for any tips or advice....Thanks.

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    What do you have out of curiosity? We do have a couple roku's, and I use Plex to stream to them from PCs, but don't have an open source streaming box.

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Did you get a chromecast? Also now you can stream on XBOX 1 and PS4. I'm gonna download the apps on my systems to see how they work. The FXNow app works good on my XBOX 1 but it's not available on my PS4. I prefer to stream from my XBOX 1 because of the voice commands with my Kinect though. It works really awesome and I wish they would make all tvs voice activated now. I really don't understand why they don't. It's extremely convenient and spoiling. The other day someone called and where I'm so used to telling my XB1 what to do I was watching tv without my XB1 and I literally started to tell the tv to pause itself because I'm so used to my Kinect. I felt like a moron. LOL.

4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Actually I bought a Armada Mach 8 that runs on Linux or some sort of variant. It runs xbmc/kodi. I'm not the most tech savy person and I decided on that one because of ease of use and it auto updates. So far it's pretty cool for movies,haven't really gotten into live TV but it is available.....I'm still learning. I was told you can get NFL streams not sure of the quality though.anyway it's a neat toy and it cost me about 130$. I figure I could at least downgrade my current Directv programming from the top package I pay for now. Any more info I would be glad to pass along...

5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    We have one. It's OK, but we hardly use it.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Oh cool. I don't have any experience with those, but sounds like fun. :-D

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    They're better for like traveling and stuff huh? That way you can still watch all the things you like to watch while you're at a hotel or something like that.

8. Big_Gayme_Al

Big_Gayme_Al Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2012
    You can go to: http://kodi.tv/ to learn more about kodi as well as check out the forum for tips etc.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Oddly enough I just started planning a project that will utilize a Raspberry Pi media box (XBMC).

• Like Like x 1
  10. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Cool, thanks Al.

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Cool. Interested to see how it turns out. Good luck,I'm sure your gonna love all xbmc/kodi has to offer. Keep us posted.

12. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Still using this, TSD? I've got Kodi on a couple devices, but it runs sweet on the Fire TV. Not sure what inspired me to bump this old thread up.

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yup still going strong, I use it mostly for movies using Exodus and it's great for TV series,every episode from when the show started....live TV not so much. I actually use a paid service to watch Our Team play in HD and it has PPVs and other subscription channels HBO etc...it's pretty cheap too. Don't want to mention it here and you probably know about it already anyway cause you seem a lot smarter than me when it comes to this stuff:smiley1:. If interested shoot me a PM....

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    PM coming. I think I use a different one. Also, RealDebrid is worth it's weight in gold.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I understand absolutely nothing on this post.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Now real debrid you may have to school me on...is that where you need to use some kind of IP cloaker?

17. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I think these guys are all talking in code about the "Dark Web" that pops up in so many TV shows these days. I always wondered what became of all those frustrated Sony Beta Video owners - now I think I know.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    RealDebrid basically eliminates buffering playback issues on Exodus and Salts. It gives you premium access to the link sources without throttling, and usually more links are available. It's plug and play essentially as you just enter your account details in the Video add on settings. I always had buffering issues, but I know a lot of people don't, so it's probably not necessary for some people.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Haha, I've never been to the dark web. Betamax for life!!

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I once had a quadrophonic 8 track in my car. Unless you stuck the shifter of the 4 speed up your butt you never got the full affect.

I know next to nothing about the "Dark Web"other than about 2 years ago international agencies world wide collaborated to simultaneously arrest about 20 people world wide for criminal actions. Russia, Norway, and one in the USA. Pittsburgh to be exact. A kid I have known since birth and the son of a long time friend. He will be sentenced and sent to a federal penitentiary shortly.

22. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Ah - I forgot about that golden LP vinyl size media. Sorry.

23. Natalie

Natalie Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2015
    You mean Kodi? I'm not that tech savvy either.My son got it from his friend.I just know it's a streaming movie box I can u going to any of my tvs and see movies in the theaters, live sports or any tv show out there. Before I upgraded my wifi it would buffer along but hasn't since. I can watch ppv but the quality wasn't good but good enough for me. Movies are hit and miss. If it's before it's released or new, quality isn't great...but if you wait a week it's better.

I still pay for cable for sports,news,and shows I dont want to wait to watch. But I did downgrade and cancelled all movie channels.

24. Natalie

Natalie Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Ha! Ha! That's what I get for posting before reading other replies! lol!

Didn't realize it was old thread soooo....nevermind

Glad you are enjoying it.

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    My buddy has Kodi and absolutely loves it. I just have DirectTv, Netflix, WWF Network, and FXX with the Simpson's World. I do use certain um "other" sites to watch some movies on though.