1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange draft report

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Apr 30, 2018.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The NFL invites players to the draft that they think will get picked in the first 3 rounds. I just read a sports news report saying Terrell Edmonds wasn't on any other teams draft board....In any round.

If that is true then why was he invited to attend the draft? I'm reading all kinds of things about the draft from so many different sources but one thing is consistent, our 1st round pick was considered a major reach.

I know you can't really judge, look at AB, 6th round for the best receiver in the game but there is another side as well. I'm beginning to fear this is an Artie Burns type reach, a 3rd round pick going number 1 and not really helping.

It will be interesting this season but what bothers me most is the general consensus was Artie Burns was maybe a 3rd round pick and was a reach and that turned out to be true. I'm holding out hope but this team didn't need another box safety, I guess we have to wait and see.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    How about Bell as a 2nd Rd. Pick and the best RB in the game? If Edmund's and some others were to be used in the traditional sense as most of these people slotting these players treat them then maybe so but if they made the new categories for these new hybrid defenses these guys may be slotted quite different. Not worried at all. Team needs and wants are not taken into account in these seedings. If the draft has 15 great QBs then they would rank them as the top 15. That doesn't mean if a team doesn't need one any other position they would take is a reach. Edmund's was the 2nd to 3rd best SS in every poll I saw. If you look at the list of what you want as a team, he went exactly where he should have, right after Derwin James. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I read that he was there to support his brother Tremaine, who was also drafted in the first round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    How could anyone know this? Once the draft was over every team shared their draft board and player rankings with this reporter?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree with TTF. There's no way that anyone knows what was on every team's draft board. Besides, if draft rankings were reliable predictors of success, then Cleveland should have more Lombardi's than we do right now.

I'd also dispute Artie Burns as a 3rd round talent. There's a reason Lebeau used to hold off from playing rookies early: in general, they will be inconsistent as they learn the game. Burns has been inconsistent, and his instincts aren't always right.

Burns' 47 tackles, 1 INT and 13 passes defended last year is far from great.
    But in comparison, in his second year as a pro, Joe Haden racked up 53 tackles, 0 INTs and 16 passes defended... not a huge difference there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I didn't like the pick in that spot (I do like the player) but come on... he was obviously on every team's board and Burns was a first round talent.

7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Only time will tell. And I agree with poster above, browns would be a successful franchise by now.