1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Stop with the political talk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel_Elvis, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I've locked a thread because it was starting to get testy. If people can't resist, they'll need to be put in timeout.

This is NOT a political discussion forum. PERIOD!

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the steelers made it political. i didn't watch another game Sunday and am selling the rest of my seasons tickets. i will not go to another game. the only reason i may watch them is because of AV. we should be able to discuss this mess since it deals with the steelers and they are one of the teams at the forefront of the news today. your call though elvis. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I support where the mods are coming from, but the reason people watch sports is to get away from the real life stuff. That ship has officially sailed. The kneelers claim they're doing it to start a conversation and yet here we are shutting down every mention of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The anti-PC crowd who tend to lean a certain way on the political scale tend to be the biggest whiners. The irony and hypocrisy are astounding.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The problem is that it ALWAYS devolves into debate about the politics, and not just discussion of the Steelers. I was watching the thread that I just closed, and boom - someone dives in with a political comment that goes over the line, and someone with an opposing view immediately crosses the line in response.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    OMG yep only your thinking is correct. :facepalm::cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Can we just put the people in timeout that are making the discussion political? It seams terrible that we can't at least discuss the issue as it pertains to the team.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Stiller3

Stiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It's weird to me because I felt like Tomlin addressed the Steelers stance and backed up the statement that Art released. After the comment that Harrison made referencing AV it's clear to me that there was no winning move here and they made the best of it that they could. Like Coach said these are divisive times, we just have to be big enough to look past our differences and focus on this hobby that we enjoy. If you want to complain about something there are a lot more important problems out there.

Steeler mods on boards everywhere now are in a similar position of trying to focus users back on topic and I pity that job.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    We mods do have day jobs. We don't have time to review every post and try to pick off the posts that cross the line, while allowing the posts that are close to the line to stay. I tried doing that with another thread, and I KNEW that at some point the line would be crossed.

Some folks need to stop posting until they can keep it purely football related.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Really, it's too late now. The cat's outta the bag. The NFL could have squashed this when it all started but decided to play the game of politics. Well, they reap what they sow. We all just want to watch football to escape the garbage that has inflicted everything else and now that has been ruined. Good luck NFL, you're gonna need it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I agree and understand, however the Steeler did put us as fans and now you guys as Mods in a very tough spot by bringing politics into our Sunday. The thing we really took pride in as Steeler fans is the fact we have a guy like AV on this team who fought for this country and a strong past like a guy in Blier who also did the same. For this to happen to our team stinks and I think really has a lot of us pretty upset as many thought we were better than that.

Where I am going with this is while I agree I am asking the Mods to kind cut some slack before dropping the hammer. I think this is a subject we fans need to talk about, maybe not here in the Steeler thread, maybe here in it's own thread I don't know. As a Steeler fan I want to talk Steeler football and unfortunately the Steeler made this now part of Steeler football.

I hope you and the other Mods don't take my post as disrespectful as I am not trying to start anything only trying to prevent people from getting banned over this stupid BS! :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 8
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Just so I'm clear. Are we allowed to discuss the events that happened yesterday and how they can affect the team going forward as long as politics aren't brought into it? Or are we not allowed to discuss the situation at all?
    I don't want to cause any problems. Thanks in advance.

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    One side of the argument is considered more "patriotic" than the other side, so it's not really fair.

14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Did you listen to Tomlin post game talk, he and the team made it not purely football related. They cant even give a good reason for what they are doing. God bless big Al.

Tomlin actually seemed pissed off during his post game talk. He should of been pissed on how they played and keep out of politics Just play football and act like grown men. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    As I said to Glenn, we have day jobs. The line ALWAYS gets crossed by someone, and then people with opposing views can't help themselves. I think we let a lot of discussion go already until it got confrontational.

How can someone discuss this subject without explaining why they are or are not ok with the politics behind it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That part has happened. I'm more interested in discussing how this affects team chemistry/relationship with the fans moving forward.

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I'll have to let TTF make the final call on that. I am personally ok with talking about how the events of yesterday affect the team, or may have affected the team's performance as long as the discussion doesn't get into whether the team was right or wrong to do what they did. That's when the discussion goes awry. Unfortunately it's an emotionally charged subject, and some folks can't help themselves.

This needs to be a place where people can discuss football, and get away from the ugliness of partisan politics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I just cant see any way this is good for chemistry/relationship with players and even more so with fans. Sports is one place that should stay out of politics, and doing what they did just adds fuel to the fire.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I personally think there is a place and time for all of it (ie. discussing it and the protest) ,and IMO ,its neither here on the forum or on the sideline of a sporting event ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Maybe move the thread to the General talk Forum and let people at it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I'm sure I'm not the only one seeing and hearing reports of angry fans swearing to burn all of their gear, sell their tickets and never watch another game. It's not just Steeler fans either it's league wide and it's growing.
    Decisions and actions have consequences. Some of the consequences are good and some are very bad and damaging and these kinds of things were proving to be bad for the NFL.

Now that's it's come down to our team doing it, that the Steelers, except for one lone hero, refused to honor the vets, the flag and everything we believe and value they seem to have decided that Steeler Nation isn't as important to them as we have always believed.

I grew up less than an hours drive from Three Rivers Stadium and have been a Steelers fan for 43 years. Now I'm debating with myself if I can continue to love and follow these guys after this.
    I'm waiting to hear and read more from the players and coaches before I make any decisions because this isn't an easy decision to make, far from it, but it's important and involves a heck of a lot more than silly politics.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Its really not hard to not talk about it guys. There is plenty that happened on the field that can be discussed here.

If you feel that strongly about it (and people obviously do with the inappropriate things that are being said here) there are plenty of political boards that Im sure would be pleased to have that discussion. Im sure those boards are burning up with what happened in the NFL yesterday. Go have at it there.

Lets keep this place for football talk.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    football is football. Let me watch it and complain about the rigged refs in peace

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I will continue to say, it's Steelers related and needs to be discussed. THE TEAM brought it to the fans.

People who can't handle it don't need to participate. Again, they can click to the next thread...

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My opinion is that our history shows that politics have ALWAYS been in sports and so has PROTEST. To not have discussion does not make that disappear and it certainly leaves no room for 2 opposing sides to have a forum on their opinions. To me its a tough, painful but necessary discussion much like race relations, inequalities, or social injustice which most don't want to discuss either. Keep in mind the narrative didn't start with Donald Trump and his comments, it started with the actions of Kaepernick and the REASONS why he chose to kneel last season, some of us cant wrap their head around that seemingly because its convenient to not do so (they believe it does not concern them which they're wrong but again that's my opinion. If you're not part of a solution you may in fact be part of the problem) or sometimes people are too close minded to hear and empathize with an opposing side

I don't agree with everything I hear but I try to listen within reason (within reason I mean as long as no ones yelling or insulting me). Does not mean I have to change my opinion, does not make me right or wrong, No

It seems that Trumps comments were only a diversion to the real problems and issues in this country which is sad.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.