1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sticky- So, how long have yinz been Steeler Fans? And Why?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bleedsteel, Nov 10, 2011.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Re: Sticky- So, how long have yinz been Steeler Fans? And Wh

Hey PatS,
    Good stuff, thanks for sharing. You sound a lot like me in terms of how losses used to affect you. They still do for me, but not quite so bad.
    That's pretty cool that this is your first post on a Steelers forum, welcome aboard. :drinks:
    Go Steelers!

2. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Plain and simple. Born and raised in the 'Burgh I went to my first Steeler game at Pitt Stadium. I can't really remember how old I was and I don't remember too much about about the game, but I do know that I was hooked at that point. When 3 Rivers opened in 1970 my dad became a season ticket holder. My first game there was awesome. I was 14 and the guys in his group used me to smuggle in their flask. I didn't get to partake, but the Steelers did beat the Browns. Wow, now that I think about it that was 40 years ago this month. WOW! :D :towel:

3. S.I. Steeler

S.I. Steeler New Member

Nov 21, 2011

This is my first post and what a great first topic to post on. I was 9 years old and had watch some football on tv but did not have a specific team. It was Super Bowl sunday the season of 78'-79' and me and most of my cousins had been dropped off to grandmas house to watch the game. There were about 12 of us watching the game half for Dallas and half for the Steelers. My older cousin looks over to me and said, "you have to pick a side". I looked at the tv and saw the Black and Gold and said I'm with the Steelers and the rest is history.

4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011

Honestly there was no defining moment for me. My name-cajunyankee- is based on the fact my mom was born and raised in Manchester N.H. and dad was from Shrevport LA. I was born and raised in NC in 62'. Mom was a Redskin fan and dad had no team, he just liked pulling for the underdogs in the late 60's early 70's . In NC back then siince we only had 3 channels on TV-- somedays 4--- we usually got the skins game and I still like the Skins. They're my #2 team. But I remember very early seeing a Steeler game, they were bad,dad was pulling for them and I loved their uniforms. I noticed #75 right off the bat. He was unstoppable. I remember him chasing Fran Tarkenton all over the field. I remember him picking up the ball from the line of scrimmage and throwing into the upper decks it seemed. I remember the miraculous catch---- just kidding myron LOL --- and I was locked in. I lived through the 70's Great teams and after reading Rocky's story and watching his movie He became my all-time favorite Steeler. I hate the raiders to this day as I do the cowboys. I guess I've been a Steeler fan since 72'. The Immaculate Reception sealed my fate. In fact my original screen name on the steelers board was 72'steelersfan. That was maybe 11 years ago.
    Cajun-

5. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

LOL...I read that and though "Oh no another one" :frustrated:

See yinz been here almost a month. But a long time Stiller fan. Sure yinz went through all the crap we all have on the old :bscow: "Official Board".... Welcome to The Unofficial Official STEELER Message Board!!!!

6. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Since I can remember, I do know that when I was a kid my dad used to listem to the games on the radio and we always lost. So youu can date that!

7. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Lifetime fan, Pitt graduate, wound up in Florida through business re-assignments but kept my season tickets for eleven years after I moved and flew in for games.

Part of the fun of being a Steeler's fan is the respect and accolades the Steelers have earned. It drives our competition crazy. The Baltimore Boards for examle have had multiple threads claiming our colors are black and yellow, not black and gold. It is really important to them.

One of the funniest pathetic posts I ever read was with regard to the Security people at M&T Bank Stadium. They wore yellow slickers and one of the posters had written to the Ravens asking them to change colors because on television it made it look like there were more Steeler fans at the game. Amazing.

8. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

9. Cali Doll

Cali Doll Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I've been a fan for almost 37 years (since birth). And, frankly, I was born this way.

10. jsteelers077

jsteelers077 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I think i started watching football when i was 5 years old my older cousin at the time got me started. The first game i ever watched was the steelers vs the Bungles and my cousin says to me if you are going to watch football you have to have a favorite team so i said i like the black and yellow team and from that point on i have been a steelers fan and love every min of it. I'am 30 years old now and will always love the steelers.

11. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

late in the 80's (1982) when i was 13 i started to watch nfl in italy and i had a school friend that his parents were american , he was always talking about franco harris , i sayd i have to find a team and watching all helmets i liked the black one with yellow stripes and i sayd this will be my team ...later i realized he was the same team of harris and i thought was a destiny .
    first years were tough

:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

12. domaug

domaug Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011

ive been a Steelers fan since 1995 (i was 4 years old then). i became a Steelers fan mainly because almost my entire family were Steelers fans.

13. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011

August of 1974...when I saw Terry Bradshaw on the cover of Sports Illustrated and thought the Steelers' helmet was the coolest damn thing I ever saw. I was six. Steelers won their first Super Bowl later that season.

14. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011

Yo Creepo.!

As for me, I was born this way cuz Im from here n'at.

15. sr_iup

sr_iup New Member

Nov 20, 2011

Born and raised in the area and always watched/listened to the games. After college, I moved to Raleigh NC. Lots of Steeler fans down here as well. Married a Colts fan :thumbsdown: and we have one son. Guess who his favorite team is? :flag: Goes to show sometimes it is a good thing to be a momma's boy :)

16. motorstreet

motorstreet New Member

Dec 4, 2011

Since late 1960s. I was only 8 at the time but I remember when Chuck Noll was hired and when Joe Greene was drafted. I was complaining to my dad about how bad the Steelers are and he said "yea, but wait til you see this lineman they drafted. His name is Joe Greene and he's supposed to be really good." By 1970 I was hooked. It helped that I came from a sports crazed family who breathed every breath with the Steelers and Pirates in mind. I'll never forget the Immaculate Reception game. My parents hosted a Christmas party at our house later that night and that is all anyone talked about. Steelers, Steelers, Steelers. I loved it!

17. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

Oct 27, 2011

i was born January 18th, 1976... 'nuff said.

18. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011

I became a Steelers fan somewhere around 1977-78, when I was 5 or 6 years old.

My dad is, and has always been, a Browns fan. We lived near Cleveland, Ohio, and he took me to Indians games, but never talked much about football, even though he always watched the Browns games. It wasn't until a couple friends of mine who had moved to Ohio from Michigan introduced me to football that I took an interest in the sport. Those friends happened to be from a family of Steelers fans, so the Steelers were my first real introduction to NFL football, and I've never looked back.

Now my wife, who moved here from Romania in 2002, and both of my kids (5 and 7) are all huge Steelers fans.

19. RJS1

RJS1 Member

Dec 8, 2011

Been a fan for about 35 yrs. Started the insanity after seeing the Mean Joe commercial for Coca Cola when I was a kid. Grew up in upstate NY and now live in GA and have never veered from the nation.

20. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

As for the how long my username says it all. The why part was easy. In 72 my dad divorced my mom and the old man was a Cowboy fan so I had to do something to piss him off. The rest is history :herewego!:

21. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011

All my life, all 41 years! Don't know why the Steelers. I assume someone I am kin to was a Steelers fan. I have a very tiny Steelers shirt from when I was small. And I have a picture of Terry Bradshaw that I made in the 2nd grade. I wonder if he would sign it for me if I sent it to him? That would be sweet!

22. 3carsteeler

3carsteeler

Dec 21, 2011

34 years. I was a kid sitting down to watch the first superbowl between the steelers and the cowboys with my family. Most of my family were eagles or cowboy fans. As soon as I seen the black and gold I was a steelers fan for life!

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

born into it in 1960. i remember going to see them with my dad in 1966. i also remember going to the wheeling ironmen games with my dad and grandpa. they had the same colors and some ex steeler players. they modeled themselves after the steelers. never waivered from being a black and gold fan ever. there is no other team. my kids are steeler fans as i expect they're kids will be. if they know whats good for them. :cool: hehehe.

24. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Here's the short of it... I watched the NBA in high school and was a Jordan/Bulls fan. Not much NFL except for playing Madden. Got to college and didn't watch any sports. Got out of college and bought Madden '01. Cycled through playing with various teams, and settled on the Steelers as my favorite team to play with. I appreciated a good run game and strong defense. I researched team history and I think had legacy teams on Madden, at that point. I liked what I read about the history and started watching the Steelers, casually. I liked the team philosophy and it mirrored what I think I would be about if I owned/coached/played for a team. When approached by a few of my friends said I liked Steelers, they did, too. Haven't looked back.

So, fan since 2001. 10 years in, and if I'm blessed with kids I'll raise them to be Steelers fans, as well.

25. SteelTrap

SteelTrap New Member

Dec 25, 2011

Since birth. As for why, born and raised in western P.A. There is no other team..... :yeehaw: