1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sticky- So, how long have yinz been Steeler Fans? And Why?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bleedsteel, Nov 10, 2011.

1. skline00

skline00 New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Re: Sticky- So, how long have yinz been Steeler Fans? And Wh

I was born April 3, 1951 in Beaver Falls, PA. The Doctor said to my mom "it's a boy and oh by the way he's a Stiller fan" so that's it. Plain and simple. :roflmao:

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011

:lolol: :herewego:

3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011

The old man (my dad) has been a fan since the late 60's... I came along in 76! Asked him once why he chose the black n gold, he replied "they bust heads, and they have the prettiest colors!" hahaha... reason enough for me!

4. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Grew up in Western PA (Butler) and have been "waving the towel" since the mid 60's. :herewego!: I remember when Mean Joe was drafted in '69 - I never heard of him before then. Hoped Mike Phipps was our first overall pick in '70 instead of Bradshaw - whew, glad I was wrong on that one too! Witnessed Franco's immaculate reception at 3 Rivers as a teenager with my dad :shock: (torn game tickets are part of my avatar pic).

5. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011

^
    Awesome!!!

6. Steelmac5

Steelmac5 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011

Since the early 70's. My dad and brother are Cowboy fans, but I just loved the look of the STEELERS!!!! I grew up in Tennessee, so we did not have a pro team to root on to victory, so I cheered for the black and gold!!!!

Mike

7. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I've been a fan since 1975 when someone gave me a football book and I thought the Steelers uniforms looked cool. I did miss the first Super Bowl but I've been a die-hard ever since.

8. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

I've been a Steeler fan since I was 8 years old, in 1988. I grew up in PA and noone in my family followed football except me. 31 years old now and my kids are gonna be a little Steeler Army!

9. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

I was born into a Steeler family (big Irish Pittsburgh family). If you aren't a fan, you're out of the will...

10. HI4Steelers

HI4Steelers Member

Nov 14, 2011

For me it was in 1984. I grew up between Baltimore and Washington DC. Almost all of my family rooted for the Redskins except for me and my brother. He was a big Steelers fan and I rooted for the Baltimore Colts. Then, the worst owner ever in the NFL decided to sneak out on a city in the middle of a snowy March night after swearing he would never leave. I was 13 year sold, and I was done with the Colts at that moment. My brother and I shared a room at that time so I just took down all of my Colts stuff and from then on we had an all Steelers room. I am not just a huge Steelers fan, but a fan of the Rooney family as well. They know how to run a sports organization with class and respect for their fans. Even when Baltimore got a new team, I knew I could never stop rooting for the Black and Gold.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

I have been a Steelers fan since 1975 when I was 9 yrs old.

12. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

The Steelers first Superbowl was on my 9th birthday. We did another Super Bowl birthday party the next year. Some kid wore a Cowboys shirt and was obnoxious during the game. So my Dad sent him upstairs away from the TV. images/icons/smile/mrgreen.gif

13. Steelerfanatic58

Steelerfanatic58 New Member

Nov 15, 2011

I have been a Steeler fan since the 50's. Although I now live in Alabama I am still an intense Steeler fan. In the early years I suffered through many a dismal season with them but have always stayed with them. I was born and raised in Southwester PA about 50 miles south of the Burgh until I joined the Army in 1970 and still go back to visit family every year if I can. Here we go Steelers, Here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :towel:

14. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011

Nice to see that many of you out there that are close to my age. I was fortunate enough to be born in Iowa where we have no pro team. That meant I was free to chose among any team that I wanted. In the late 70's I was about 6 or 7 and actually thought I was watching our Hawkeyes play. When I learned that I was watching the Steelers I became a fan. When I learned the term "Steel Curtain", well, I spent many afternoons imitating the very players that made up the curtain. I was hooked and haven't been able to get enough of them since that time. I've been to Pit to watch a game and was floating on air the entire time I was there. Been to Denver to watch them and will be in KC to see them play. Unless of course, Coach T finally takes me up on my offer to play!

15. steelers.geek70

steelers.geek70 New Member

Nov 15, 2011

Been a fan since I was 9 years old! My mother was a Steelers fan and I started watching them in '79 during their 4th Super Bowl run! Watched them win Super Bowl XIV and was hooked! Born and raised in Michigan, but not a Lions fan! They were bad back then as well!

32 years later and now I have gotten to pass the tradition on to my son, who's now 10 and plays football himself.

16. cutrale

cutrale Member

Oct 28, 2011

Since I was around 14.....I am 51 now, so that's quite a while. I grew up in a household where my Dad and two older brothers were, and are, die hard Browns fans. ( I am from Ohio, about 40 miles from the Burgh ) Well, I just HAD to be different since I am younger and A GIRL!!!!!!!!I bleed black and gold!!! Lucky for me, I married a marvelous man who is also die hard. GO STEELERS!!!!! # 7, anyone?

17. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

1995 I was in my second year of college in Williamsport, PA. I always liked football, but was strongly discouraged from playing because I was into wrestling all my life and it was a big deal in my home town. Parents were afraid I would get hurt in football and miss the wrestling season. So anyway, Sundays at school found me flipping through the channels and landing on Steelers games as they were the home team in the region. I quickly got hooked and found it very exciting to watch the Steelers Defense pound the snot out of teams. Not knowing a ton about football I could clearly see they were different and I loved it! I got hooked quick and watched every game and they ended up heading to the Superbowl that year. We all know the outcome of that Cowboys - Steelers match up :( I have been a fan ever since.
    I am 35 and when I was a kid and teenager football really wasn't too big in my family. For some reason my Dad got away from following it. I had stints of liking the Raiders (cuz if you listened to rap they were cool and admittedly this now full on rock and roll dude liked rap at age 12) and I also liked the Bears in the mid 80s when Payton, Singletary and the Fridge, etc were around.

18. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

I didn't get into football as early as baseball. Growing up in the midwest my dad was/is a diehard Chicago Whitesox fan. Back when I was young and impressionable I followed my dad and started rooting for the Sox. Well they weren't very good in the early 70's so when I started getting interested in football I wasn't going to follow his football team, after all he led me astray with the Sox right? (The mind of a 6 year old, ha ha). So I said I'm rooting for whatever team won the superbowl last year. 40 years later I can't imagine rooting for anyone else. My son has followed in my footsteps.

Back in 2008 I took my son to training camp in Latrobe. We did the tour of Heinz field and ate at the Bus' resturant. My son was a QB and WR in highschool and of course his hero is Big Ben. During the tour we went through the locker room and were instructed to NOT walk on the carpet or go by the lockers. Well the guide made the mistake of pointing out Ben's locker, we held back and waited for everyone to move on. When we were left alone I had him stand next to Ben's locker and had him sit on his chair and took pictures. The grin on his face was priceless. We are planning on returning to attend a game hopefully in the next couple of years.

When people see me wearing my black and gold they always say, oh, a bandwagon fan, or why do you like them? your from Illinois why don't you like the bears or packers? So I get to retell my story.

:flag:

19. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011

Rules are made to be broken!!!!!! ;-)
    Especially if they are dumb ones that Goodell made! :p
    Anyhow...
    That`s very cool! Glad your son got to get that picture taken! :thumbs_up:
    Nice to hear from all the other fans, too...
    Can`t wait to hear more... :popcorn: :towel:

20. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Iowa does not have a pro team so as stated earlier the black and gold drew me when I was younger. Probably thought it was the Iowa Hawkeyes playing on Sunday. I am 40 now and can't remember not being a Steeler fan. My parents did not influence me either way. They are more college football fans. I hear from a lot of people in Iowa how or why are you a Steeler fan and not one of the local teams. I tell them I was born with black and gold running through my veins. No other way to put it. I live and die with each Steeler game.

We try and make it to Pittsburgh once a year. I can tell you my 3 kids are also die hard Steeler fans. My 4 year old son knows several players on the Steelers by their number and also how they look. My 11 year old daughter knows Mike Wallace is the fastest player in the NFL with pads. My oldest daughter is not into sports but still makes sure she watches some of each game. My wife is also become more of a fan. She yelled downstairs Sunday asking what channel the game is on. She is not a big sports fan but knows the Steelers are the team she cheers for. I love the Sunday Ticket so I can watch each and every Steeler game.

Next year hopefully I will have the opportunity to bring the family to a game. The kids really want to go and we have had such a blast everytime we have been in Pittsburgh they would love it.

21. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011

I grew up in a Navy family and traveled around until I was 10. My dad's last base was in southern Florida, where I witnessed the euphoria of the Dolphins perfect season. I was not a Dolphins fan, but the energy created by that season made me a football fan. My dad grew up in Western PA, and baptized me into Steeler Nation. This was before the "Terrible Towel" days, so I never had the chance to be wrapped in one at the hospital. After Florida, we moved back to Western PA, where I got to enjoy all 4 Super Bowls of the 70's, the mediocre 80's, the resurgent, but not quite there yet 90's and the fantastic '00s. I now live in NE Ohio and my son and two daughters are already a part of Steeler Nation - never to be Browns fans.

22. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011

Hello all...first time poster, long time lurker on the old site. I started getting into football at the age of ten while watching a bills game on tv. I was in awe of jim kelly and the k gun offence and they quickly became my favorite team. I was really into notre dame also, this introduced me to jerome bettis. 1993 was bettis rookie year and he was tearing up the nfl, the bills were still my team but bettis was by far my favorite player. My dreams came true in 1995 when the rams moved to saint louis, I now had my home team and my favorite player just like that. Bettis first year in saint louis was a disaster and he soon became public enemy #1 in the STL area. I can still remember all my friends and family badmouthing bettis. I felt lost, the bills were falling apart and bettis was sent packing for a third round pick to the steelers. Everyone knows what happened next. Bettis became dominant again, all the rams fans here who thought he was washed up wanted him back. I've been a steelers fan since 1996 and I would like to thank my hometown rams for trading him :herewego:

23. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

Since The Miraculous Reception. I was 10, my mom had ordered me a team sweatshirt, they sent a Steelers one by mistake. Then the Miraculous Reception, saw it as a sign from God, been a Steeler fan ever since. And have raises three hardcore fans.

24. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

OK Ill do it....

bac glad to have you aboard.Even one more towel waving in a away stadium helps us.BUT.....If you are a STEELER fan as you say you are since 1972....You would OR should know the greatest play in NFL history is called "The Immaculate Reception"..You were 10 in 72 that makes you 49 today..We on this board really do not care if you became a STEELER fan yesterday or have ben since 1933.Just dont BS us.A REAL(39 year) STEELER fan would never make the mistake you did. Just be honest with us and we will be with you.

Just to let you know we here..... DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!!

TTF...Sorry if I overstepped my bounds.

25. PatS

PatS New Member

Nov 19, 2011

Almost fifty years...How many of you remember Kent Nix and Bill Austin? I'm talkin' late sixties here. And the team was TERRIBLE, but you always knew you'd been in a game after playing us. Hiring Chuck Noll was the best thing that EVER happened to our team. And he won his first game and then lost the next thirteen that first season!! Those yearly battles with Oakland and the Houston Oilers were EPIC - I remember listening to the games on a transistor radio before they were broadcast on TV. That's how I caught the Immaculate Reception. And in the game the following week we were LEADING the Dolphins when their punter Larry Seiple executed a fake punt and Miami got the crucial first down that led to a winning score. I was never so crushed from a game. I used to lose a LOT of sleep after each loss, going over what went wrong again and again. Thank God I can let it go much easier these days...But I still live and die with my Stillers. BTW, age is 55 and this is my first ever post on a Steelers forum.