1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sticky- Most memorable STEELER game..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Myronwemissyinz, Oct 18, 2011.

1. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I guess my most memorable was Super Bowl XLIII. It was the first one my son was old enough to watch with me. He began to WEEP when the Steelers went down in the 4th quarter. I said to him "Relax - Ben and the boys have over 2:00 to work some magic." That last drive made me look like a HERO in my son's eyes! Since then - he hasn't missed a game and always remembers the words that I said to him that night.

• Like Like x 1
  2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ha! I have to say the same crap to my mother in law. "We'll never win this one, blah blah blah." Great story!!

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    December 23, 1972
    I was just a kid and wanted to go home because the Steelers were loosing. Dad made us stay. We were sitting on the Steelers left 16 yard line. I have never thought about leaving early again.

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    My most memorable steeler game was in 2008 when they played the Chargers.....It was the first time I had ever been to a game before....It had flurried the whole weekend but had never amounted to much....but right before kickoff we had a white out for maybe 15-20 minutes....It was awesome....My wife turns and looks at me and says (with 2 inches of snow on her tobaggon) you better not ever say I don't love you....To beat it all the steelers won and it was the first time in NFL history a game had ended at 11-10.

5. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Was at that game myself.GOD was it cold!! And your right just before kickoff you couldnt see one end of field from the other.That game SHOULD have ended 18-10. 43 :superman: was robbed!!!

6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    you are right..... I think even the NFL said as much later but didn't change the score of the game

7. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    From what I heard the NFL did think about changing score...Ya know what stopped them...VEGAS$$$$

8. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The officials actually made the right call, but miscommunicated to the ref what happened. He thought they meant the final lateral (the one 43 broke up) was forward, but they meant an earlier one. They surely would have straightened it out if it had made any difference in the outcome of the game, or if it was in the 2nd quarter or something. But they were like, "Should we tell him he's wrong and it's a touchdown? Nah, everyone's already on the field shaking hands and stuff. Forget it." And the ref was like, "Blah blah blah, it doesn't count. That's the end of the game. Do doo do dooo... huh? Oh... uhh... ah well. Forget it."

It hurts Troy's stats, and the D's stats, and gamblers everywhere (I'd have been pissed if some moron cost me thousands of dollars because he was too lazy to even bother getting something right) but that's all. Unless of course we'd been in a tight race and needed to go to the Nth tiebreaker. Then it could have really mattered.

That was a fantastic game!

9. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Well that game didnt cost me thousands.But it DID cost me a case of beer.....Ill take the win and pay a case any week!!!!!

10. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Didn`t cost me a WHOLE lot...
    But it DID cost me the only time I would have hit a 10 or more game parlay ticket,
    2 bucks WOULD have gotten me 500!!! :(
    I usually play 3 or 4 games for 5 bucks, and the payout would be $20, for three games, or $50 for 4 games(or pretty close to that, it`s been a while since I have played..)...
    Hard to believe how few times I could pick even 3 or 4 games, with the point spread factored in...
    Anyhow, for ****s-n-giggles... I would also usually play a 10 or more game slip, for 2 bucks, figuring it was better odds than the lottery...( could pick college games, also...)
    If I hit 9 outta ten, I`d get 75 bucks, etc... on slips where I would pick 10 or more games...(for a 2 dollar bet)
    Less than 10 games, and you had to hit em all to get paid...
    The ONLY time I would have gotten 10 games right, was when the ref`s said that Troy`s pick 6 against the Chargers, didn`t count!!! :O!!!
    Not the only time the ref`s have screwed a Troy P. interception(The one against the Colts STILL ticks me off!!1, Thank you Ben, for the Tackle)...
    I was happy to get a few bucks, for a 2 dollah bet, but if the ref`s didn`t screw up, I woulda had Five Hundred in my pocket, that week!!!
    GRRRRRR!!!!

11. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

And Troy's interception was memorable in that game.

12. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Brister vs. Elway... I think it was the 87? playoffs. The Steelers played a hell of a game only to come up short. louis lipps was my hero at the time. I remember Elway tucking and running in the 2nd half and the way he landed after the hit, I thought (actually as a kid, was hoping) he broke his neck! Since then and even previous to that game there have been many others... but next to S.B. XXX that game had our house off it's axis more so than others.

13. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    Hmmm I've been to many games that were great. 1995 AFCC game, 2008 AFCC game, many home playoff games from 1992 to 1996. But the one game that sticks out in my memory was Sunday December 14th 2005 at home against the Chicago Bears. That is when the Steelers had to win every game just to make the playoffs. It was cold with freezing rain and snow, perfect football weather. I was right down in the endzone with my Chicago friends to witness Faneca with a huge block and then Bettis bulldoze Brian Urlacher for a TD! I have that picture hanging in my office at home. I knew from that game that the Steelers were going to make a run and they ended up winning the superbowl!

Blitz

• Like Like x 1
  14. lostyank

lostyank Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    This has got to be the toughest thread! Way too many to list. Just off the top of my head, I loved the very brief rivalry years of Steelers -vs- Oilers games from the 1978/1979 seasons. Brutal hitting, excitement, controversy---they had it all. It was great watching Earl Campbell battle with the Steel Curtain. Pastorini's pain, Renfro's non-TD catch, Bum Phillips freaking out on the sidelines, etc. Those were great regular season and playoff games. Almost as good as the past 2 Steelers -vs - Ravens AFCCGs, but not quite! :grin:

[youtube:1suelcfq]TZzwv9pkBQ4[/youtube:1suelcfq]

15. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    2005 divisional playlets at Indy. Fast start,troys pick that was but wasn't. Bettie fumble,bens tackle,vanderjack wide right. Game had it all including a steelers win. No one gave us a chance and we rode that win all the way to a title.

16. sec108

sec108 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Superbowl XLIII in Tampa. Steeler nation showed up in full force. Was living in Orlando at the time and drove over to Tampa to scout parking/tailgating areas. Little known fact is the the NFL takes over all stadium lots for the superbowl and no tailgating is allowed. Soooo I find a house 2 blocks from the stadium who sell spots for all of the Tampa Bucs games, the guy has made enough money over the year that they added a bathroom to the side of the house for tailgaters, only access is from outside. They where selling parking for the superbowl at the increased rate of $25 per car!! (ever try to park at Heinz for less than $40 for regular games??) I took 5 spots, looked around the place and rented the deck and grill as well--xtra $100 bucks. Had 25 steeler fans show up for the pregame taigate and naturally the after game celebration!!! At Heinz, our seats are in the front row of section 108. At the superbowl we were 3 rows from the top in a sea of steeler fans. As we were taking in the stadium pre kickoff, we noticed that the stadium was ringed by the flags of each team, naturally the browns flag was right behind us. Needless to say , the browns were the only team not represented by their flag as game began. Not sure what happened to that flag after the kickoff. And the game?? Harrison-Holmes-Big Ben (my pick for MVP), one of the greatest superbowl games ever.

GO STEELERS

17. romeo863603

romeo863603 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2011
    I have always wanted to share my favorite Steeler game and why it means so much to me. My all time favorite is Superbowl XLIII. My wife got pregnant before the season began. This was our first for both of us. I know this is going to sound like b.s. but it's true. I knew they were going to win it all before the season begin. It felt as it was fate. I have loved the Steelers ever since I first started watching football as a kid. Like many of you I have seen the good and the bad. But for some reason I just knew or just wanted it so bad I couldn’t accept any other outcome lol. I was rooting extra hard during the season and playoffs because this year was so special to me. When we went down in the forth my wife’s heart dropped. I seen how much time was left I knew it was a blessing in disguise. I told her not to worry there was plenty of time for us to go down the field and score. My wife and I watched as we went down the field big play after big play. When Ben threw that ball to Santonio it honestly felt as if I seen it in slow motion. My wife began to cry because it was so emotional. I gave her and her stomach a kiss. I told her “that’s why I love my Steelers”. This game just confirmed why I love my Steelers. The year that had become so special to me because it was going to be the year my daughter was born just got better.

18. 43FOLyfe!

43FOLyfe! Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    For me it was the 1995-1996 Championship game against the Colts with Jim Harbaugh QB'ing the Colts.

The final pass, Aaron Baily almost holding onto it before hitting the turf. I've never been so stressed in my life.

Yeah, I know we went on to lose to the Cowgirls in the SB, but that Championship game will always be with me. I'll never forget that final play.

This is a bit long of a video, but enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5hxVk9XdUE

19. gasteeler

gasteeler New Member

Dec 1, 2011
    1979 AFC championship game at 3 Rivers. Sixteen years old, covered in freezing rain, beating the Oilers en route to a Super Bowl win.

20. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    It was between 1988 and 1990. We were playing the Giants. Bubby Brister had lead us to a 20-0 third quarter score, we had the zero, Billy Cowher finally pulled the bubster and put the MVP for Superbowl XXX in Neil O’Donnel. This was before he stared for Dallas. At the two minute warning, Eric Green caught the TD Pass right in front of me in the end zone at three rivers, the extra point lead to a 20-20 tie. Not sure if it was still Anderson or who but the kicker kicked it out of bounds. And for reasons I never knew or heard of, the Giants had it placed on the 40 yd line. THE OTHER SIDE OF THE 50, 40!!! Never knew why but Hostettler dropped back to pass and was flushed and ran to the 28 or 30. Giants kicked a FG and we lost, dang it!

21. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    2002 playoff game against the Browns.

22. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
  23. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Bill Cowher didn't become coach till 1992. Must have been Chuck Noll. Come on man!

24. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Indeed. This was a MNF game in 1991. The Giants were defending SB champs. O'Donnell came in and led the comeback, capped with the TD pass to Eric Greene.

25. punkneater

punkneater Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Of the games I've attended, here are my top 4 most memorable (in no particular order).

1. My first Steelers game at Cleveland in 1981. I got to see my childhood heros Franco Harris and Terry Bradshaw play.
    2. 1995 AFC Championship game against the Colts. Very exciting!!!
    3. 2011 AFC Championship game against the Jets. Very cold-- great time!!
    4. 2000 The last game at 3 Rivers Stadium. I got to high-five Jack Lambert!! Took lots of pictures, lots of memories-- I get choked up thinking about that day.

:flag: