1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Bartman to Receive Chicago Cubs Championship Ring

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Blast Furnace, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Now if only they'd give us the one we were robbed of in 03. Buuuuuuut anyway.... Honestly, I can't fault the guy for what he done but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want him killed when it happened. I've honestly never forgotten that day and even now that we've finally won one doesn't really make that sting any less. If it wasn't Bartman it would have just been someone else right next to him. He still won't show his face though. I don't blame him.

3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Guess it's just a matter of time before Billy Buckner is given a belated Golden Glove Award. :shrug:

4. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Not sure if you know this, but when Leon Durham let a ground ball get by him when he played for the Cubbies he was actually wearing Bill Buckner's glove. True Story. Eerily ironic. 2 years later Buckner became even more infamous. The Sox reached out to him and had a whole Bill Buckner Day after they finally broke the curse. He said those people put his family through pure torment too.

5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I do not recall that, but sounds like that glove was more diabolical than Jackie Chan's "mask". Speaking of Jackie, was it Jackie Smith who dropped a sure TD from Staubach down the stretch in the SB vs Steelers?

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yep. Cowgirl fans still whine about it.

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Something really awesome happened to me today. I was delivering at the Smokies Stadium which is the Cubs Double A farm team. Well the guy that came out to sign for the packages had a big ring on and I asked him what it was because I had a hunch of what it was. He said "That's a World Series ring" and I thought it was. I then proceeded to almost poop my pants. I asked him if I could take a picture of it and he let me. He runs the clubhouse for the Smokies and he said they gave out tons of rings. I knew they did. Even parking attendants at Wrigley got one! The thing is MASSIVE! Not gonna lie: It almost brought a tear to my eye just being in the presence of that thing. He gave me his business card and told me to shoot him a text the next time we're up there for a game. My little boy got to run on the field with their center fielder this past weekend as a reward for his tee ball team tying for raising the most money in the little league this year.

8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorry Rev - we gotta see a picture of you kneeling down kissing the ring - not describing it's awesomeness :bowdown:

9. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Sure doesn't take much to excite some people.LOL

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017