1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers WRs are great.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by hmmmmm, Sep 23, 2021.

1. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    We currently have Dionte Johnson, JuJu Smith-schuster, Chase Claypool and James Washington. I initially felt we had 4 number 2 WR's. However in 1995 The Steelers had Yancy Thigpen, Ernie Mills, Charles Johnson and Andre Hastings. The 1995 WR's didn't have a great QB yet they tore the league up. The opposing defenses 4th best corner couldn't defend our 4th best WR. I am starting to thing the group we have now are 4 number 4 WR's. They each have glaring holes in their game. Hell they don't even seem to be a "one trick pony". Before you start focusing in our run game in 95 being 1000 times better than our current run game. Consider this if these WR's are so great why cant they get the defense out of the box and open up our run game. GET OPEN and do it quickly. Neil Odonell didn't hold on to the ball they were quick routes most of the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Our wr's don't need no moves, or what it takes to go get a ball, not even the grit to manhandle a puny db one on one. Just a qb that can hit them in the bread basket when they decide to get open.

Superstar participation trophys for the wr corps! Let Ebron have one too!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    If Ben had Lamar's legs, we'd all be stoked. :roflmao:

4. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We have 4 #2’s which is perfectly fine

5. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    This raises the question is it talent or game plan. I saw supposedly lesser players wide open for Darnold to throw to last night. Yet, every pass the Steelers throw are defended by two, sometimes three, DBs

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The run game and the line we had in 1995 tho...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Morris, Pegram and JL Williams. Legit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm interested in this so I went back to the Raiders game to look at the tape. Literally two plays as I'm in between putting kids to bed, but still...

These are the last two plays of the first drive. First, the PA which went to Smith Schuster.

upload_2021-9-24_18-48-55.png

As Ben rolls right, his eyes are on Juju, who's just making a break. But at the 50 yard line Claypool is open for a 10-12yard gain. So that's on Ben.

Next play, where Ben did his old Ben magic and Ebron dropped the pass, this is what Ben is seeing when he first winds up to throw.

upload_2021-9-24_18-51-34.png

Ben is trying to hit the receiver on the sideline, but the DB has given him a soft cushion so rightly Ben doesn't throw. However, in front of him both Najee and Ebron are turning right into space, while DJ has a step on his marker (because Najee is crossing in front of him). Nobody is college open, but arguably there are throws there.

So then Ben scrambles out of trouble and looks for who's open.

upload_2021-9-24_18-55-19.png

Juju has run out of contention for the first down by now, but there are actually three Steelers open here - a deep throw to the middle of the field and Ben's original target (now near the 20 yd line) likely scores. From this angle I think Ebron was the right target and he needs to make that catch.
    But it's also worth noting the receiver at the bottom of the picture - I think it's Juju - by this point he's effectively given up on the play, and is kind of strolling.

I'm not drawing conclusions from just two plays, but I noted them because on both there are guys open, there are guys without separation and there are bad decisions by both QB and receivers.

• Like Like x 3
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I hate to even say this but... losing AB was huge.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    play design is being ignored. If you send three guys deep and isolate a WR on a drag route against a LB that is the play. You don't look it off see one of your deep guys in single coverage, pomp fake and then heave it. Throw the ball to the guy you designed the play for and get the 1st down

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

With all the crap that AB pulled he shouldn't even be in the league. He must have some fine lawyers to keep him from doing any time behind bars as well.

Now he goes to Marsha's team and all of a sudden nobody hears a peep out of the guy. I don't advocate for injuries to players but if he blew out both his ACL's and dislocated both shoulders on one play I'd probably stand and cheer. The guy was such a dirtbag the way he departed our team. Where's Vontaze Burfect when we need him most?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah I don’t like him one bit but you have to admit no one could guard him 1v1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Rhule is probably a top 5 coach in the league and it shows. His roster isn’t great but his team looks good.

14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    AB can play better than most, the most critical criteria when determining rosters these days. AB should hire Vontaz to take care of his moving discrepancies, help both of them get to where they belong. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  15. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    That's probably a little premature, but I'm certainly rooting for him. Was a big fan of his during Temple career

16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    It is pretty obvious by now that offense starts with a decent O-line which we don't have.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    At the present moment in time I'd agree with everything you say. Your doing good in the predict the score contest and I think you have a shot to win the Steeler Prediction Poll although 6-7 wins seems more likely.

18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    In jail, I'm assuming.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Would you rather have this group, or one of these? These two won Super Bowls when the QB could get them the ball and didn't need superstars at every position:

2005: Hines Ward, AR-E, Cedrick Wilson, Quincy Morgan

2008: Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Nate Washington, Limas Sweed

20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Both groups with Hines in them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yeah, AB made this offense. The problem is with this style of offense that Ben has come to like it all revolves around the X wr. Is it a good offense or did it work because we had a generational talent? That's why they have put so much into DJ. All the issues, fumbles and drops Ben will still force it to him. It all revolves around him being a sliver as good as AB. At times DJ shows he has the talent to be that good but just can't put it all together. Steelers had a track record of developing WR before AB that's why I think they needed to revert back to that style of offense instead of trying to clone somebody into AB. But Ben can't run that style of offense anymore, he takes too many hits and it's an offensive league now. AB masked a lot of issues because he would get double/triple teamed every play. Line was better because teams were too scared to blitz which made our running game better. Juju hasn't come close to the production he had when AB was on the field. AB was a generational talent they got in the 6th round.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Post it again, I would have found a way come hell or high-water to keep him. Still don’t get it. Never the same after that Bungles game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They even had a chance to get Hollywood Brown ... but, they were still in a state of trauma after dealing with what AB put them through. So they passed

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    AB was always open when covered 1v1

now our receivers are getting blanketed by lineman lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    That 2008 group is better than what we have now.

• Agree Agree x 1