1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Will Not Franchise tag Dupree

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersfaninPhilly, Mar 9, 2021.

1. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No surprise there. One step closer to being out the door.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That was never going to be an option. Franchising a player for a second time is just too expensive. That is especially true in a case like Dupree's, when you have a player who is a question mark due to a major injury.

The only way he is a Steeler in 2021 is if he tries the market and nobody really bites, forcing him to settle for a relatively cheap, one-year deal.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Good as gone

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Good, 1 year wonder, see ya

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Showing their Draft hand?
    OLB, WR, OL?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Or Bluffing.???
    I do believe 1st pick will be a DB, or LB

8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I still think it is BPA, but quantify that with what little they can do in FA. They are not going to fix the holes in one draft, so I believe most any position will be on their radar if they feel the player is right.

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Hopefully Highsmith continues to improve. Highsmith played better as a rookie in 2020 than Dupree did in 2015. Dupree is gone... some team with cap space will break the bank for him.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Tennessee, Atlanta or even Indy would be my first three options for predicting where he goes. Atlanta and Tennessee have the money while the Colts now field a Dark Horse Super Bowl Roster assuming Wentz can stay healthy. Keep in mind that outside of Left Tackle and Free Safety, the rest of their roster can be easily filled; pass rushers going to be in massive abundance this coming Free Agency.

That said, assuming Dupree does sign with Indy and Indy nabs Tre'von Moehrig, that will bring them one step closer towards bringing home the big one.

11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Indy would be a logical landing spot. They have money on paper but Darius Leonard, Braden Smith and Quentin Nelson are all eligible for second contracts now, and will command monster deals, Colts need to be careful in relation to committing long term money to free agents, if I was Ballard I’d concentrate on paying my own guys.

Atlanta is in much worse cap shape than the Steelers, Titans slightly better. They’d have work to do to clear money for Bud but the need is not in doubt.

I think one of the New York teams might be the most likely landing spot. Both have money and a need at Edge

12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Dupree was a bit of a project when drafted but has a much higher career ceiling than Highsmith.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Hmmm.... the Giants I have as a sleeper pick. Daniel Jones though must take that next step. For every great NFL Throw he can make, a very bad turnover throw is around the corner waiting for him.

14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Bud isn't even borderline worthy when talking about franchise players. The Steelers have about 6 players ahead of him that fill franchise player better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    With Saquan presumably coming back that will give him another weapon and let them run it more, their receivers are not terrible albeit I don’t know who is hitting free agency, Danny Dimes needs to be better as well, of course.

On defence they have the run stuffers in the middle but nothing at edge. Dupree would be ideal along with a draft pick.

Edit: just looked and I see they tagged Williams today, probably rules out a big free agent splash, they are not as cap flush as I though

16. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I don't necessarily disagree, but at every position a team has to eventually make cost/value decisions when operating under a cap. The Steelers already have a Heyward and Tuitt under large contracts. So are Haden and Nelson, though Haden's may see some restructure if he's kept. Bush and Fitzpatrick are heading for second contracts by '22, Bush in '23.

Simply put, a team can't always be the top bid for their pending free agents. Others will splash the pot with larger offers simply because they have the means by way of not having similar talent already being compensated for it.

Teams have to decide what percentage of their overall cap they intend to invest in particular positions/groups. While you can slide the bars a little, over allocation in one stunts another. You may get away with this for short bursts (sudden influx of younger/cheaper talent, gross overpayment on a FA, e.g.), but it's not a reliable model if you're aiming to build a consistent, competitive unit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He had 2 good years, Highsmith won't put up the same stats as Dupree.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Too bad none of them stepped up after he got injured :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It was a huge loss and if Highsmith doesn’t take the next step, Watt will suffer for it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Bud not only came into his own as a pass rusher the last two years but he was excellent in run D off the edge. Some people around here really undervalue him. Our D fell off a cliff once we lost Bud, of course losing Bush as well didn’t help.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  21. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    If the Steelers don’t draft an OL in rd 1 I might seriously boycott. Our offensive line is atrocious.

Somewhere Glenn is doubting me.

• Like Like x 2
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Care to make it interesting?

23. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Agree on Dupree and Highsmith. But there's also the increasing age of Heyward, whether they keep or replace Alualu, the status of the CBs with Haden's age and Sutton/Hilton as pending FAs... all could open options for teams to avoid Watt's area of the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You're delusional if you think Highsmith will get double digit sacks, I like Highsmith, but he's not the freak athlete like Dupree is.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I'm not disagreeing with their decision. My comment was directed at the poster who said he was a 1 year wonder.