1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Trading

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by PSYCHOSTEELER, Apr 4, 2012.

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

100.0%
  1. PSYCHOSTEELER

PSYCHOSTEELER Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    bleacherreport.com now has the Steelers trading their 1st 2nd and 5th to the Cards for their 1st and 3rd. And grabbing Poe. What are they thinking, Cards are not gonna go for that. And I hope the Steelers dont.

2. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I might do it but definitely not for Poe.

3. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    No way no how would I trade up for Poe. I'd even have second thoughts about drafting him at #24, especially with others still hanging around, which would be very likely. Like SBD, I'd pull of a trade like that for someone else (Kuechly and DeCastro come to mind) but not for Poe. Quite honestly, there isn't really anyone in this draft that I'd be 100% comfortable trading that far up to take, unless we needed a QB or RB, in which case Richardson, Luck, and RG3 would be my targets. It seems like all the other top-tier guys have very acceptable alternates following closely behind:

DeCastro - Glenn, Konz, Zeitler, Silatolu
    Kuechly - Hightower, Wagner

The only other position out there with a severe talent drop (other than RB and QB) would be safety, and I just don't see Mark Barron as a guy you trade up for.

4. PSYCHOSTEELER

Nov 22, 2011
    agree

5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Just don't see it. I have seen mocks where we trade back with the Giants for their 1st, third, and fourth. That I might consider.

6. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Points wise, we'd be making out like bandits, though. We'd be giving up 1110 points, gaining 1355. Why would the Cardinals even make that trade?

7. PSYCHOSTEELER

Nov 22, 2011
    right

8. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd be all over that. I gotta admit if we did that and Fleener was on the board I think they'd have to think long and hard about it.

9. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Well, both times I've seen it both Barron (who was our pick both times) and Hightower were still in the board. And I have to tell you, getting Hightower, and extra third and an extra fourth would be my idea of a perfect playout for the first round.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i would trade up only for de castro

11. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I REALLY like DeCastro but I have a hard time giving up so much for a guard, especially because there's going to be a really good one available when we pick in the 2nd round.

12. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Which, unfortunately, is what we'd have to trade to move up for him in the first place.

And yes, Zietler, Silotulu, Osemele, Washington, and Brooks will probably be available in the second round. Tackles include most likely Adams, Massie, Saunders, Jeff Alen, and Schwartz with 2nd round grades. We will have a starting caliber o-lineman for this year available when we pick in the 2nd, and most likely in the third, fourth and fifth there will be some more than capable back ups and possible starters available.

13. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I am no fan of reaching for positional need. I like the BPA approach. But there has to be common sense too. We all have different ideas of where these guys rank, so let's just pretend for a second that we can all agree on their value. Suppose Fleener is perfect value at #32. No more, no less. Suppose a guard like Silatolu or Osemele is valued at #42, no more, no less. I would rather reach for that guard at #32 than take Fleener.

I don't like to reach for positional need, but Fleener would not be the #1 man at his position for 4 or 5 years! In the meantime, he'd be splitting time with a guy who already is underused. If we were the Patriots or Niners or some other team that passed like that AND didn't already have an awesome tight end, it would be a good pick. I took him myself at #32 for the Giants in our mock draft! But for a team that underuses the one it has and absolutely would not get proper use out of two tight ends? AND has an overflow of wide receiver talent? AND has crushing needs elsewhere? It'd be like the Colts taking Donald Brown or Anthony Gonzalez. No one questioned the value of those guys where they were taken, but they were still moronic picks.

14. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011

I wouldn't reach when we'd have a 1,2,3,3,4,4 after trading down (like someone else mentioned)... Obviously you'd need a partner, but my best case would be grab Fleener at 32, then try to package something like 2, 3, 5 to move up in the 2nd round for Zeitler.

Just saying, if we had that many picks in the early rounds I wouldn't mind a luxury pick. I also agree, that if we took Fleener they'd need to change the offense drastically to utilize him better, but we're overhauling it anyway so seems possible to me.

All of this is a moot point.

15. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, Todd Haley did list Heath Miller as his favorite player to watch when studying our film. I'm not sure that overhaul is going that far. It's just not for us. Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Miller, maybe Cotchery. There isn't even enough balls for the guys we already have.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would, but only for Decastro,(he would solve alot of problems)Arent you people tired of watching are OL and Ben getting killed every week? Poe has to many question marks for me,
    If he is so great why didn't he dominate at his level of competition? (Combine hero) This is why
    I prefer BAMA ball players they are up against the best talent available
    and thrive because they are so well coached.

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    for me decastro is the best player in the draft after luck and griffin , it's a dream because he will go very high

18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Been reading more about this Poe guy and not liking the information. Starting to think "Combine Warrior!"

19. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    You should go watch some tape of him and your opinion would only be solidified! I think NFL circles aren't as high on him as the draftniks. Seems like every mock draft out there has either the Panthers or Chiefs taking Poe. My opinion is that he may fall out of the first completely and it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i wouldn't take a NT to early anyway, if they like mclendon enough. the guy would have to beat him out or play second fiddle anyway. the guy i want on the D-line though, is wolfe. i think he's an aaron smith in the making. i think he's right up the steelers alley as far as DE's go. i can't see him not being picked by the 3rd round minimum. our best bet would be to trade out of round 1 and grab an additional 2 and what a 4 and 5 from someone or a 3 and 6? :cool:

21. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    rumors say denver like osweiler even at 25 ,now some team that are high 2nd rounder like dolphins (if they miss tanheill) or others that need a qb can call us to trade in front of them ,could be an ideal situation if we want to trade down , we can get a high 2nd / 3rd /6th for our first

22. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    i wouldn't take a NT to early anyway, if they like mclendon enough. the guy would have to beat him out or play second fiddle anyway. the guy i want on the D-line though, is wolfe. i think he's an aaron smith in the making. i think he's right up the steelers alley as far as DE's go. i can't see him not being picked by the 3rd round minimum. our best bet would be to trade out of round 1 and grab an additional 2 and what a 4 and 5 from someone or a 3 and 6? :cool:[/quote:1ubpf1q0]

I'd be cool with another Aaron Smith in round 3! DE isn't really a need at this point, but we have to keep our options open and not force-pick for need (like we do in our MB draft).

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i wouldn't take a NT to early anyway, if they like mclendon enough. the guy would have to beat him out or play second fiddle anyway. the guy i want on the D-line though, is wolfe. i think he's an aaron smith in the making. i think he's right up the steelers alley as far as DE's go. i can't see him not being picked by the 3rd round minimum. our best bet would be to trade out of round 1 and grab an additional 2 and what a 4 and 5 from someone or a 3 and 6? :cool:[/quote:25oelwq5]

I'd be cool with another Aaron Smith in round 3! DE isn't really a need at this point, but we have to keep our options open and not force-pick for need (like we do in our MB draft).[/quote:25oelwq5]

yea GB i know it's not a need, but soon could be. i just see alot of smitty's game in him as far as tying up his man and then discarding him to make the tackle. smitty was great at that. letting another team have that would bother me. i know they have looked at the kid. with the game of ziggy hood in question and the aging of keisel, i would like nothing more than to have this kid in waiting, or even more, on the field. his game is eerily similar to one that was our best. smitty was unhearalded, but man we knew what he did for the defense. i'd be as giddy as a school girl if we found another one so soon. :praying: :cool:

24. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    i wouldn't take a NT to early anyway, if they like mclendon enough. the guy would have to beat him out or play second fiddle anyway. the guy i want on the D-line though, is wolfe. i think he's an aaron smith in the making. i think he's right up the steelers alley as far as DE's go. i can't see him not being picked by the 3rd round minimum. our best bet would be to trade out of round 1 and grab an additional 2 and what a 4 and 5 from someone or a 3 and 6? :cool:[/quote:2x9gqdqw]

I'd be cool with another Aaron Smith in round 3! DE isn't really a need at this point, but we have to keep our options open and not force-pick for need (like we do in our MB draft).[/quote:2x9gqdqw]

yea GB i know it's not a need, but soon could be. i just see alot of smitty's game in him as far as tying up his man and then discarding him to make the tackle. smitty was great at that. letting another team have that would bother me. i know they have looked at the kid. with the game of ziggy hood in question and the aging of keisel, i would like nothing more than to have this kid in waiting, or even more, on the field. his game is eerily similar to one that was our best. smitty was unhearalded, but man we knew what he did for the defense. i'd be as giddy as a school girl if we found another one so soon. :praying: :cool:[/quote:2x9gqdqw]
    DE isn't a need, but we do have one roster spot available for a mid-round guy. We need 4 DEs for gameday and right now we only have 3 (not counting Bryant or bubble guys like him). I did some studying on Wolfe for the MB draft and after everything I saw and read, I could not believe he was still on the board at the end of the 4th. I wouldn't take him in the 2nd because there will be talent at positions of need still, but I would go for it in the 3rd if none of my other guys are around. When Keisel goes (which might not be for awhile, the way he's playing), Ziggy-Heyward-Wolfe would be a great rotation. In the meantime, the #4 spot has to go to someone, and we historically have injuries among someone #s 1-3.