1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers to Undergo Major Changes

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dick Shiner, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I was surprised to hear Colbert say drafting a QB in the first round is a possibility, thats a curve ball I wasnt expecting especially since I dont see this draft loaded with a lot of 1st round QB prospects..As for drafting running backs in the 1st round, Adrian Peterson was worth a 1 pick but he is the exception to the rule you can get a top back in the latter rounds, Lacey will most likely get drafted in the 1st round,we could take him at 17 but our last pick for mendenhall at 23 didnt work out too well, maybe we better stay away from backs in the first round.....

2. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I actually think the team needs to start thinking about how they can stockpile picks. I would be willing to trade down in every round if it meant gathering a whole bunch of 3rd and 4th round picks. They need to bring more talent into camp, get younger, get hungrier.

3. The Bus Driver

The Bus Driver Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I don't think the team can afford to go offense in either of the first two rounds. Lacy will be successful in the NFL but the needs are too heavy on D to pass up on guys like Mingo, Ansah, Vaccaro in the first round. Getting a young pass rusher would be huge alongside Timmons who I think is primed for his best season in 2013. Don't sell out on all of our "old guys" we were still a top tier D this season and according to what stats and sources you consider, we were #1. Guys like Heyward and Ziggy need start embracing their role in the 3-4 as space eaters more effectively. If neither can overachieve in 2013, it would be a huge set back and cripple our "excellent decade of drafting" argument. The most troubling part of our defense is that 2 years ago we had the best pass rushing tandem in the game, while this year we were forced to cheer for holds and pray for a coverage sack.

Free agent backs (Greene, Bush, Benson) could buy us some time...but not be worth the cost or injury risk.

If the steelers go ahead and get rid of their anchors on D for the last 5-8 years...we would desperately need Troy and Clark to combine for at least 26 games played to sure some things up and help avoid the dreaded "rebuilding" title.

Anyone think Sean Spence can crack the starting lineup? Guy is undersized, but supposed to be a tackling monster.