1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers to Implement more 4-3 defense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jun 4, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

This is a pretty good post. I agree in a lot of ways.

I know a lot disagree, but I think bring Lawrence Timmons back would help in more ways then one. I think we lack some veteran leadership on the defensive side of the ball. I'm still not convinced he's washed up.

Personally I'd feel good about our defense next year with all the pieces we have in place if they added that one element.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Tuitt, Alula, Hargrave, Heyward. You could hide some of these hybrid players behind

a big DL like this. I believe the Steelers will go back to the smoke and Mirror defense's

Of DLebeau. It just doesn't work, against some teams.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

I don't think timmons is the answer. Teams will take advantage and run hurry up to keep him on the field. We can stop the run if we gang tackle and get players running to the ball. That's something that has been lacking. One big run stuffer can be schemed against but 4 or 5 guys running to the ball carrier will negate running teams. We have the coaching to produce this now. Vince red and bostic can do this and the added safeties can also do this. Get to the ball with more than one guy and the turnover also will add up. We can't play it like we have been, waiting on one guy to make a tackle. It's not smoke and mirrors, it's just good defense.:cool:

4. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    But we need twice that amount, who are the other 4?

5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

We did sign players that addressed areas of weakness. Doesn’t matter whether you like them or not. They signed a couple sure tackling, high football iq, communicators. Which I’m case you missed it were the major issues with this defense last year. Missed tackles and breakdowns in communication killed us. We also addressed our areas of need in the draft and did so without mortgaging the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    No offense, Strummerfan, but I am getting tired of everyone acting like 100% of our problem on D was simply communication. It is more complex than that. Teams were gouging us right up the middle on runs, and on sweeps as well. Communication wasn't the problem on those plays - we had loads of missed tackles and guys taking bad angles on those plays, which really doesn't have to do with communication. Dumping Mitchell should help but they were so bad, we need more than that to fix it. After Shaz went down we were 31st in yards per rush, which led DIRECTLY to us being bounced out of the playoffs in our first game. Jags made us look like soft children; it was pathetic. Good thing Mitchell ran his mouth before the game. (By the way, for those claiming he wasn't that bad, note that NO team has signed him.)

7. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Apparently reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit.

8. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Yea, right, I responded to precisely what your wrote, and, apparently using the English language isn't your strong suit.

"They signed a couple sure tackling, high football iq, communicators. Which I’m case you missed it were the major issues with this defense last year. Missed tackles and breakdowns in communication killed us."

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He also acknowledged missed tackles were a problem.

10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

And you still completely ignore the tackling part of my post. Lmao!

You are truly blissfully ignorant.

Try to let this sink in before you respond again and embarrass yourself even more. Missed tackles and breakdowns in communication killed us last year. Do you understand yet?

11. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Listen, with your botched English, I'm lucky if I even understand even one of your points....

"Which I’m case you missed it"

12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Smartphone? “N” and “m” next to one another? Autocorrect? Any of those things ring a bell?

Nice try attempting to deflect from your blissful ignorance though

Ps Your elementary school English teacher is getting out her red pen.

13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Lol...I remember he tweeted out something of " You can call me AT&T, cuz my phones gonna be ringin " What a dumb ****

14. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Eyeballs that can see things....like an "M" is a different letter than an "N?" Having eyesight that can distinguish the difference, or KNOW the difference?

15. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    That perfectly illustrates what a rock head he is. Good riddance. Not a single team is interested, so why did the Steelers still have him on the roster last year?

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Anyway....communication was a significant part of the team's problem last season. So was tackling. Burnett and Bostic could help in both areas, but it's not going to be enough. Other things have to happen for the defense to improve. Davis and Burns have to play better. So do Tuitt and Hargrave, though better health could be the key factor there. They also need more out of Dupree, which seems unlikely.

Perhaps Edmunds can make an impact as a rookie, but that is tough to count on, but the biggest gains are going to have to come from guys who were on the roster last season.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Apparently an unlisted number

18. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    That's really too bad getting no production from rookies on D is acceptable in Pgh. Look at NO last year: Rookies were a big part of their improvement.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    How do you know we will get no production from rookies the season hasn't even started. We did last year too. TJ watt played pretty well. Adams was injured. Sutton was injured. Allen wasn't ready yet but did play well on STs. :cool:

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Watt was a much better pick than Edmunds, who is the only draft pick likely to get the chance to make a big impact. Allen will most likely play on special teams and Frazier is a backup nose tackle at best. This is the problem many of us talked about on draft day, that the team didn't invest enough in the defense.

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

Some serious levels of presumptions and sophistry being discussed here.

Why this continues to be the main point of emphasis this offseason, I have not the foggiest.

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Last season every thread seemed to be about man coverage solving all our problems, or how the Patriots were a model of perfection in every way.

So in some ways I'm glad we've moved on from that.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I disagree. It depends on how we intend to use Edmund's. Most of you are just sideways about the fact we didn't pick a Ryan shazier clone. That player just wasn't available for us nor was there one that could do what he does. I think and the team thinks they got as close as they could. Was it exact? Probably not but as close as they could. In a changing style of defense the team is trying to field, the picks we made really seem to fit the bill. The FA pickups also fill in the gaps for the small percentage of the time we do play the base defense. Many that are upset are not taking the change into account and are basing this assumption on the old base defense. :cool:

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm still of the thinking of this defense getting better is going to come as a unit and less about individual players. I think the coaching change we see is a telling sign. We need to get back to the unit running to the ball and not relying on an individual like we had in shazier leading. It's got to be multiple players on the tackles. That's when our defenses have been the best. Butler's defense has been so individual player doing his assignment heavy that we have gotten away from this style. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Our defense has definitely improved over last season. I do believe it's enough to get us where we want to go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1