1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers@ Titans 2002 playoffs

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers89, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Tomorrow's meeting brings me back to the 02 playoff game. Would the Steelers have won it all without that kicker penalty?

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    There is a ton of "if's" in sports. Like would we have won our 5th SB if the refs were not on our side?Would we have gone to the SB if Ben misses that tackle against the Colts after Bus fumble?

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't know. The Raiders and Gannon seem to have the Steelers number back then. Had the Steelers beaten the Titans, a victory over the Raiders in the AFC championship at Oakland would have been a tall order.

With that said... the '02 Steelers team was awesome. Maddox to Burress, Ward and rookie Randle El was fun to watch when everything was clicking.

4. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    They could have won the game in regulation. 1st and 10 at the Titans 40, late in the game. Three incomplete passes failed to move the ball an inch closer to field goal range, and I think that was the last time they had the ball

5. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Yeah and Renfro was out!! Steelers have had plenty of calls go our way for and against, can't play that game

6. soulkitchen

soulkitchen Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Yep. I was there. That non-catching giant walking stick Plax dropped one right in his hands. Then Nedney faked a heart attacked and the refs gave him another chance on his missed field goal. Game over. Titan fan next to me says "man you guys got screwed."

Do they beat Oakland, 50/50. Do they beat Tampa (did earlier in the year), I'd give that one 70/30. Would have liked to see it play out.

7. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    We reeaaally struggled against the spread back then. Raiders would have been a tall order, but that’s why they play the game. Man, that game was devastating though. I was still a kid and took it hard.

8. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    We would have beaten the Raiders that year, I don’t care what anyone says. The Bucs are a different story, I don’t know if Pittsburgh was good enough to beat that defense twice. But they would have beaten Oakland.

9. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

The Raiders would have been a very tough playoff match-up. Gannon went 43-64 for 403 yds againt Tim Lewis's D in Week 2 of that season.