1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Take Speedster Chris Rainey, RB, Florida, in 5th

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HugeSnack, Apr 28, 2012.

1. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I finally hit on my mock draft! This is a bone to Haley and the exact kind of RB we didn't already have. If we were going to get a RB, this is the time and kind to get. Good pick.

:good:

2. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Chris Rainey

They just drafted Chris Rainey in the 5th with Alfonzo Dennard and Chris Polk still up there. This guy is awfully small at 5'8" at 163 Ilbs so I guess he is a change of pace back or something. I know teams are worried about Polk having injuries and Dennard just ruined himself before the draft but they have done amazing this draft so I hope this guy works out!

3. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Re: Steelers Take Speedster Chris Rainey, RB, Florida in 5th

Here are some notes you might like:

10 yard split: 1.47, best at combine
    20 yard shuttle: 3.94, best at combine
    60 yard shuttle: 11.06, best of all RBs
    3 cone drill: 6.52, best at combine

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    Re: Chris Rainey

5,8 180 , i would have picked dennard but rainey is interesting

5. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011

Reading up on him, maybe he will replace Brown as the return man? Seems like he excells at special teams.

6. JD99

JD99 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011

What the hell, 163?!?!? I just read that he is 180. I imagine that we will use him like a Darren Sproles?

7. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Re: Steelers Take Speedster Chris Rainey, RB, Florida, in 5t

Haleys new McCluster here.

8. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

Exactly. I actually haven't seen any tape of Rainey at all, but his numbers are very impressive. His 40 time (4.45, not exactly slow) didn't match his 10 yard split time, but that's okay. That's how we got him in the 5th, and the first 10 and lateral stuff is more important anyway if you ask me.

Not who I would have drafted, but I'm thrilled we didn't get another back of average speed with other attributes when we already have Redman and Dwyer.

Mayock just called him a "jewel." Said you can play him at RB, in the slot, and implied he is a stellar special teams player.

9. TwentyFourSeven

TwentyFourSeven Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

So I know Percy Harvin went in the first round, but this guy was used much like Harvin was, correct? I didn't follow him or Florida this year, but from what I've read it seems as though this may be true. Just used all over the field.

10. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

He also takes over return duties. Thats huge in itself.

11. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012

He's another guy who had off the field issues. Prob why he was still there. He's boys with Pouncey so that prob helped him here.

12. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012

Haley just did the Presser and said that he's an exsplosive guy that they can use all over the field. Benz asked if he was like McCluster and he said yeah, pretty much.

13. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Lol I could have sworn on the overlay on NFL Network it said 163 under his information. I remember telling my girlfriend the Steelers just drafted someone smaller than me! I guess I read it wrong or it was posted wrong.

14. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

seen him play alot at florida mostly watching him run away from tennessee volunteers. this guy can catch the ball well for a running back. I can see him lineing up in the slot some. if he has got his life staightened out he is a steal.

15. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

His highlights on ESPN were amazing. Kiper, McShay and Mayock all agree he is a steal for us. Apparently the "off the field" thing was a threatening text to a girlfriend or something. He's also apparently good friends with Pouncey, so it's logical to believe the team got a good report from him.

Return duties, coverage duties, change of pace back, receiver... I'm liking it more and more.

Another note, his combine 40 was 4.42, which is not mind blowing, but Kiper said he can consistently run it in 4.35.

16. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

Also the younger brother of He Hate Me, aka Rod Smart of XFL and Carolina Panther fame. That's huge in itself and worthy of a first round grade!

17. Nah85

Nah85 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

So basically CJ Spiller?

18. JD99

JD99 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011

LOL, you scared me for a minute when I read he was 163. I think he is 180, at least thats what I thought I read, lol. This dude has some speed, thats for sure!

19. theotherbigben

theotherbigben Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011

No kidding! Why didn't the Colts take this guy!

20. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011

Now there is a pick Haley had an influence on I'd bet. If he can return and convert a few 3rddowns then he's a great pick at this stage. What does it mean for B Batch?

21. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012

You kidding? Another great p/u for us. Did the luck cloud hover over us this year?

This is that little burner that helped Tebow/Pouncey and gang win....................alot. In doing so he racked up some serious mileage btw.

He catches a corner outside and gone. This kid is a jack of all trades kinda guy that we're going to see catch, run, return etc...

Don't miss a punt return this season people.