1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Sticking with Zone Coverage

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DukeDukeDaDaDa, Nov 10, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Inorganic methods to manufacture pressure against Brady is a big no no.

Getting home organically with the base four is key; all the more reason that, if all does not turn out well for us when we face them, I want Jacksonville to take them out as their front four does not need any form of assistance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

The Steelers proved last year in the AFCCG that they could not do that. It was the worst game plan against an opponent that I have seen the defense have in probably more than 2 decades.

Since you are talking about Superbowls, the Falcons played Tom Brady the way you need to in order to beat him all the way up til mid third quarter of last years game. They threw every blitz they could think of from every angle possible and had him on the ropes. Then they went into complete melt down mode by playing zone and brain freezing on offense.

Both games made me sick to my stomach. The Steelers much more of coarse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 65Toss-Power-Trap

65Toss-Power-Trap Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I have a feeling this secondary is much better than last years' secondary. Now, how that affects the zone, against New England, has it's doubts. But for what it's worth, and I'm not certain how much it IS worth, we are a better secondary right now at this time this year, than at this time last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I agree the secondary is better sans Mitchell. The Haden signing has paid dividends. Hilton has supplied a real spark.

The only way to beat the Pats is to matriculate the ball downfield. The Offense has to step up and start scoring. We will find out real soon how they fare against the Pats.

The secondary play is paramount against the Pats. Very rare you get pressure against Brady. And the D has failed at that as well as keeping him from shredding the field.

The best Defense will be a healthy scoring Offense.

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think the operative phrase is "for now". Play the current defense through the end of the regular season and see how it works in week 15. Then break out a more extensive man coverage game plan when we see them again in the playoffs.