1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers small window of opportunity with Ben at QB.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mailman, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    It really blew my mind when I just read an article “why Ben only has two Super Bowls”.In the Roethlisberger era that has resulted in losses in the playoffs,the Steelers have given up an average of 33 points a game even when they had a really good defense in 2004 and 2007.Mind you,a few of those points were pick sixes or from turnovers deep in enemy territory.With Ben having around two or three years left at best (and I mean at best)why isn’tmanagement making the defense a priority now,like today!Chances of us getting a QB with anywhere close to Ben’s ability in the near future are near 0 to none!.They get a new OC which is fine because I wasn’t a big Haley fan anyway!Obviously our defense was the weak point and a priority!No changes and we have a HOF QB just blows my mind!

2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Yeah I think the majority of us are mind blown all the same. It's time to let go of the 3-4 and the tired old schemes. That's why I wasn't all in on Butler taking the reins... More of the same. Even with the record sacks this year, the D never reminded me of the good O'l days which is another head scratcher in itself.

They don't have the personnel to totally flip the script player wise, but would've been closer had they made the switch when Lebeau was ran off. I believe they have the personnel to field a damn good unit minus Mitchell and depending on shaziers future. Folks just have to be held accountable from the coach on down. No reason for the drop off even with Ryan's injury in my opinion. Sure, he isn't replaceable but Good coaches know how to mask things to a certain extent... this staff just rolls status quo for some reason.

3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If management is not making D a priority, howzcum the last 5 1st round picks and 3/5 of the last 2nd round picks have been on D? Has there been a more targeted free agent acquisition than Joe Haden?

D has been a priority, they haven't always chose well, but it ain't like they haven't tried.

4. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Talking about the defense in general as with their high draft picks they’re not making good decisions or there needs to be a defensive change or two at the coaching because players are not playing up to their potential!

5. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    IMO the Steelers need to use their 1st round on a QB, assuming that a few of the talented ones are still there. I wouldn't count on Ben having more than 1 season and this team needs to prepare for that. Picking a QB that can sit behind Ben and pick his brain will be huge and if by some chance Ben plays 2 more, is it really that bad for a QB to mature more? Kind of a Rodgers-Farve situation. I'm not saying we'll end up with a Rodgers, but why is it that crazy?

Defense needs to be a priority in the draft, but there is a lot of talent to be had later in the draft. Future QBs are rarely found outside of the first round.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I posted this last week OP :shrug:.

7. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    IMO The window has already closed for winning another Super Bowl with Ben. I don't think we win our division next year and probably go 8-8 or 9-7 and try to get into the playoffs as the first or second wildcard, if at all. I hope for you guys that doesn't happen but I think some dark times are going to be here for a few years. We have done nothing to fix some problems for too long.

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The window is closed as far as I'm concerned. Our defense is no where near where it needs to be. Our offense will not be as strong as this year.

I think we are on the downslide.

And NE just keeps on winning SB's...

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    When I first read this, I thought the 8-8 record was crazy talk. But thinking about it, it could happen. Players may be growing tired of Tomlin, Bell is going to create issues, and Harrison winning a ring is going to create divide. Oh yeah, and the D sucks....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Ben's best years are being wasted because we have an idiot head coach and everyone in the organization is just content enough to allow it to keep going.. Eerily similar to the Crosby-Bylsma years. That early Stanley Cup bought him too many years he didn't deserve, just like Tomlin's early Super Bowl win (although he deserves credit for the 2010 Super Bowl, now 7 long years ago). The undisciplined teams.. Consistently being out-coached by superior coaches when it mattered most.. The early playoff exits.. The county club locker-room. Funny what happened when we got a real coach

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Got to give the Patriots coaching credit, where they truly shine is situational football. They really know when to quicken the pace of the game or slow it down, or where to attack depending on down and distance, how to use time outs or force time outs by other teams.

Steelers look second-rate to them in that regard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    “STAIRWAY TO 7!!!!”

*year:2056*

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    and in the meantime Brady keeps playing until he wins a SB against every NFC team. :getsick:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I’m numb at this point haha

15. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
  16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    At some point I'm going to go back and find out what year the window was perceived to have started to close on Ben.

At a guess, 6-7 seasons ago?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    10 years from now. "imo ben should win his 3rd in the next 3 years at age 48"

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Telling it like it is. I thought the same thing.

19. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm thinking more like third rate.

20. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    When did the Doomsday clock go off? I didn't hear the alarm...