1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers sign Will Johnson and Wes Lyons

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Mar 19, 2012.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    It's being reported that the Steelers have signed former WV Mountaineer WR/TE Will Johnson. He will likely be used as a TE/HB. In the article, it mentions that Wes Lyons will be making a return as well.

Read more here~ Will Johnson And Wes Lyons

2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks TTF. Great article and great signing . Problem. Where is the information on Wes Lyons. There is nothing about him in the article.

edit: nevermind. Lyons was released and brought back again. I thought I recogonized the name.

Bman

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I hope these guys can help us

4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I hope lyons learned something from last year dude could be unstoppable in the red zone.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Sixth paragraph from the bottom. It's a very brief mention which is why I quoted that part in my post. It said that Wes Lyons was there signing at the same time Johnson was. :)

6. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Yay more camp bodies!

7. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I hope so too but all I remember is him going up for a pass in preseason... having it bounce off his hands... and about knocking himself out as he hit the ground.

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah me too but who knows maybe hes ready i just want a big target

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Lyons shouldve at least been on the practice squad last season.It's all about confidence.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he caught 3 passes for 63 yds. in preseason and led all receivers in one game. i think it was washington, and thats what most people remember, the knock out pass. :-D. he's worth bringing in again to look at. at 6-9 with haley using him it may go better, then with BA using him. :cool:

11. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah he doesnt have the speed to be a true deep threat so he was no use to arians.

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I liked Lyons from what I saw in preseason. Good to have him back as an option, even if it turns out to only be camp fodder.

13. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I've seen Wes throw some MONSTER blocks/hits on defenders in college as well. The guy is like 6'8" and 230 lbs. That's a big a** target! Not a ton of speed though (avg 4.6 40 time)

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep I like Lyons a lot....I think he can develop into a Redzone Weapon,I am glad he is coming back to camp...It is still very possible that the Steelers only have Brown and Sanders by the time the draft starts...

Just because no Team has made a offer to Wallace yet doesn't mean the chances are smaller.....IMO Teams are taking there time going to the Prodays and evaluating the talent that will be available with their pick.....Once Teams get their final big boards together that's when we will see Teams who need WR help start to make a push for Wallace....

Also I could see another angle for Teams to wait....Knowing the Steelers are short on cash give them time to spend and limit their ability to match the offer,if nothing else this keeps their hands tied if they want to match a offer on Wallace....

I still expect Wallace to get 3 or 4 offer sheets ,but I expect them to come near the deadline....I think Teams are playing chicken and when 1 Team blinks then the offers will come......

WR is a very tough position to draft and some WR'S need time or the perfect system,to me this increases the value of Wallace as well as he is a known commodity and he fits any system because his game is go deep....As stated any Team who feels they need a deep threat and has a pick' higher' than 20 is still in the Wallace market...

15. gharrison92

gharrison92 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I think Lyons should be given another chance. Could be a good option for us!

16. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    Lyons made a spectacular catch against the Panthers in the preseason last year. At 6'8", he'd definitely be a redzone threat and he did make some awesome blocks as well. I pimped Redman on the other board a few years back and people scoffed at me. Now, I'm endorsing Lyons. He should be on the roster, as he is our typical diamond in the rough, Steeler.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    johnson was said to have one heck of a pro day at wvu and MT told him don't tell other teams we are talking to you and want to sign you now, and did. he being looked at as a FB. :cool:

18. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I like Johnson's story, he sounds hungry like Redman.