1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Sign RB Knile Davis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 20, 2017.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Interesting info, I just don't like the signing if it is just for a returner. I am not big on giving up a roster spot for a kick return and nothing else, jmo. Heck if we were worried about kick returner we should have signed WR Patterson and not Hunter, kill 2 birds with one stone.......

2. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    What's the other bird? I hope you don't mean that Patterson is a downfield WR? He's not.

Knile Davis, is a much better RB than Cordarelle Patterson is a WR.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Patterson was signed to a 2 year/$8.5 million contract with $5 million guaranteed and a $2.5 million signing bonus. I haven't found a breakdown of the Hunter and Davis contracts yet, but I'd guess that the dollars guaranteed to Patterson far exceed the total dollars of the Hunter and Davis contracts combined (heck, their 2 contracts are probably less than just Patterson's signing bonus).

4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    YEAH that's what I mean. Patterson had very little help from the QB position too. I have read that Patterson was a bad route runner but I fell your can coach that and I think that is something our team is pretty good at. This kid has talent getting him to use it may be the problem but I would take Patterson over Davis everyday and twice on Sunday!

5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Would you take Patterson over Justin Hunter as a WR?

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah your probably right there is a big difference in the money. I still don't like the Davis signing. jmo

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes yes yes, I really feel Patterson has a ton of talent he needs to be taught and he has to try as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The thing is, those 2 birds you're talking about killing, they are probably both smarter than Cordarelle Patterson.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah that is why Patterson had a job and was one of the best returners....... and tell me again how many teams Davis went thru last year???????? No matter how much you try to dress it up a **** sandwich is still a **** sandwich.

10. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    Chill buddy, I was just making a joke. I wasn't saying anything about Davis or comparing the two. Their pay scales are obviously quite different.

No one debates Patterson's physical ability, but I've seen many reports implying that he's a dimly lit bulb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The knock on him coming out was that he couldn't grasp a playbook mentally. The fact that he is great in the "see it and react" world of returning kicks, and has generally failed in the more mentally demanding role of NFL WR definitely gives me pause.

Would I have given him a shot on the cheap? Yeah. Would I give him $5 million guaranteed? No.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    it's 4 years later... he was football dumb when he came out of college... he's football dumb today... he is what he is.

There were 3 roles to fill. Backup WR, Backup RB, and Kick Returner.
    We killed 3 birds with 2 stones (Davis, and Hunter)

Had we signed Patterson (4 million cap hit), he would've cost as more those 2 combined... and we still would've needed a backup RB and a backup WR.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    CS, I am good man no probs I do agree with all you just said. I have read that Patterson has the skills but not very smart and yes their pay scales are very different. :thumbs_up:

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree and understand that, I am not sure I would have given him that much either but I would rather pay a little more and get something than to pay a lot less and get nothing. I can see both sides, I am not a fan of signing a guy just to return kicks I want more out of him.

15. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Seems you want something more so badly that you are willing to invent narratives (Patterson can be taught) to fulfill that desire. When the reality is, that you get nothing but Kick Returns out of Patterson and he costs 4 times more than the guys we signed.

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I get that he is dumb but don't tell me all these guys we keep putting out there are great I think coaching has some to do with it. Your right about the money and like I just said I am not sure I would have paid that much either. Still I am not so sure we killed 3 birds, Davis couldn't land a spot on a team needing a RB in the worst way. I find it hard to believe Davis couldn't find a job last year with anyone and is gonna come here and be a back up. JMO

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I guess that is where you and I disagree, I feel a good coaching staff like the one we have here that keeps putting out WR after WR could make something out of this kid. Also throw in the fact he will actually have a QB to throw to him might help too, plus coming to a successful organization. I am not blaming the Vikes for all his down fall I think CP had a lot to do with it as well but I think he has the talent to be developed.

18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He does have some speed maybe he was banged up last year?Maybe he has learned how to read holes?

19. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    All good NYSF. My wife often tells me, my humor isn't always 'obvious'. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  20. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    A first-round selection in the 2013 NFL draft, Cordarrelle Patterson posted an 11 out of 50 - Wonderlic Score

7 points higher then Claiborne though...

21. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    yea, like I said... blind narrative

22. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    It's not easy to land a spot on a team you join mid-season... that's why we have training camp, and pre-season....

23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Like I said as a backup to Bell ,no thanks.....but as long as he bumps Toussaint off the team and more importantly off KOs I can live with it....RB must be addressed in the draft at some point.

24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Diamond, I get what your saying, but, without DWill being retained and Fitz on the bubble he will be the #2 guy as far as I see. Yes they will draft a running back somewhere. His kick returning skills obviously were a big selling point. The kid can run though and catch out of the backfield.

25. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    He's a back up that will return kicks for us and we didn't have to use a draft pick to do it. And just to add a little more perspective he's a cheap decent returner

I'm OK with it