1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers sign Ben to a new contract

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 4, 2021.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah it doesn't really help them this year, the pay cut is almost optics in a way. They could have pushed for retirement but presumably they wanted him back more than they wanted the money. Even if he retired I think they’d have had to bring in a veteran so the benefit would be marginal.

It’s done now, so the conversation moves to what they can put around him.

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    You need to lead the Steelers 2021 Draft Party Pep Rally!:herewego::towel::yeehaw:

Give me a :dfense: for DOOMED!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Quick story here, I was doing a sales call down in that portion of town back when Ben ran his crotch rocket into
    that car. Needless to say my sales call was delayed that day, the Steel City was silent that day until news came
    in that he was going to live. what a cluster it was navigating that 6th street bypass that day. Thank God Ben was able to
    recover and his career has lasted this long. I drove up near Mercy Hospital that day where he was taken you could have heard a pin drop.
    Pgh loves their football and we were all riveted that day.

• Like Like x 2
  4. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Tomato, tomato :hmm:

5. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    None of this speculation will matter after Haskins takes over QB1 in pre-season. :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You will see those anyway. It doesn't matter how it goes. Some like 2 complain, and have every right 2. That's what it means 2 be a fan. Some of us are not smart about it.. I for one am not always. Especially if I let my emotions get the best of me. LoL.

7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Don't count Mason out yet. He will be the starter by the end of the season.

Next years schedule will see Ben going out like Eli; from the bench.

Say what you want about Mason, but if Mason plays that playoff game we win!!!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I can hear Ben now if we pick a QB ' I took a pay cut to play 1 more year to end my career on a high note and you pick a player who can't help us win my last season . Like after Mason was picked.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  9. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    90% close to a championship caliber team, really? Dead last run game, unknown OL, unknown WRs, TE who drops passes and can't block, RBs all here seem to want to replace, a going on 40 yr old QB who significantly contributes to going 1 and done in PO games, an OC who has never been a OC, and other position coaches in 1st NFL yr. That's just the offense. Unknown DBs on defense doesn't help either. I hope you're right but I'll wait to see what we look like post draft and into August.

10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Should Ben suck I guarantee you Tomlin will get dirty looks from the owner's box should he try to replace him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

we know the offensive linemen, we know 3 of the wrs, i'll give you the TE, i like our RBs, he still won 12 games, yes he's a new OC but was involved in the offense last year, the OL head man is in his first year as the head man only but has been in the nfl, our assistant OL coach has been in the nfl for a long time, our TE coach isn't new to the NFL, our RB coach isn't new to the nfl, our wr coach isn't new to the nfl, our qb coach isn't new to the nfl, not sure where you come up with they are first year coaches. we have 4 starters in the defensive backfield that are pretty good and 3 of them are 1st round picks. we do know something about the backups as well. one of them is a former starter in the nfl. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Ben can’t help us win either so

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ben is such the hero taking a minimal pay cut...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I tend to agree with you. I was hoping we give Mason a shot this season and I think it will happen. Ben would have to suffer an injury because I just can't see Tomlin benching him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    So a player no one wanted, except us for some reason, who was signed to a "post league rejection futures contract" is going to be our starting QB? i hope you forgot to use green font, it not, then I have nothing further to add that will help.

16. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    You're probably right on that. Weak ownership and coach is tough to understand. If MT didn't pull Ben during games last year, I don't think it'll happen next season unless Ben takes himself out due to injury. JMO>

17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe they have the fake a injury in the new contract ? I would put the 3 pick rule in so Ben can save face..Anytime he reaches the limit just grab your elbow and go under the tent the bu QB knows to get his helmet as well ...This would protect Ben the Coach and the owners...

• Like Like x 2
  18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I believe that was the purpose of the emoji instead of the green font.

19. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I thought the :hehehe: was sufficient. Just messing around. :drinks:

20. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Last year year there were no fans in the stands; Ben got a free pass when he tanked at the end of the year.

This year with fans in the stands calling for Ben's head after a bad half like that Cincinnati game; you may see Tomlin turn on him when fans start calling for Ben and Tomlin's head.

I still believe the only person that can get Tomlin fired is Ben. Randy is gone, so Tomlin is out of excuses for the offense. The only question that remains will Ben take Tomlin down with him.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Sorry.

23. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Got it.

24. kicker_twentyone

kicker_twentyone Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Only 5 million paycut lmao! f*cker better win this the Superbowl this year !! Ain't worth 25 million on the books if he don't!!!

25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    5 million dollar pay cut that saved them 15 million...Look at the 50 other posts that already mention this.....

• Agree Agree x 1