1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Seven Round Mock Draft (Post Combine/Post Free Agency): Take Two

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Apr 8, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello all fellow brothers and sisters of TheSteelersFans! AQL here with my second official mock draft for the Steelers. This one definitely took a lot longer than the previous one for certain. However, now that the pro days are over, there is much more information to divulge. That being said though, this also means that certain players have risen their stock considerably; Steelers targets among them. That being said the same however, this also means that some possible targets that were not First Roune players have now catapulted themselevs into First Round or even top 20 territory. To find out what has changed from then to now, here is a link from the previous mock that I conducted;

Post Combine Mock (Take One)

That being said though, it is time to now begin the second edition of my mock draft. As always, before we begin, a disclaimer;

These written statements by the author do not reflect nor are shared opinions of members of TheSteelersFans Message Board, Staff Members and/or Site Administrator.

With that out of the way, one final aspect I need to cover! Again, to remind everyone, this mock as merely a representation of all the information that is present among the Pro Days. There will definitely be some surprises for certain! Onto the mock!!

Round One (Pick 20): Andreaz "Greedy" Williams: Cornerback fron Louisiana State University.

Round Two (52 Overall): Darnell Savage Jr.: Defensive Back from the University of Maryland.

Round Three (66th Overall. Acquired from Oakland): Miles Boykin: Wide Receiver From Notre Dame University.

Round Three (84th Overall): Ben Burr-Kirven: Linebacker from the University of Washington.

Round Four (123rd Overall): Ben Banogu: Defensive End from Texas Christian University.

Round Five (142nd Overall): Justice Hill: Running Back from Oklahoma State University.

Round Six (176th Overall. Acquired from Oakland): Zack Bailey: Offensive Tackle from the University of South Carolina

Round Six (194th Overall): Ulysess Gilbert III: Linebacker from Akron University

Round Six (209th Overall. Acquired from Arizona): John Baron II. Kicker from San Diego State University

Round Seven (221st Overall): Jordan Miller: Cornerback from the University of Washington.

Now that we have established our mock, it is now time to evaluate how each player can assist the team. This time though I will have a slight variation for the explanations given; doing the draft in two separate pieces as opposed to three. Onto the post analysis.

Post Analysis

Rounds One to Three:

I know, I know. Ready up the proverbial tomatoes to throw at me for this one. Bear in mind that Julian Love was initially going to be the first pick as well. However, Mr. Love is not the here or there. Instead, let us focus our attention to someone who likes to be "Greedy". Greedy here fits all the major pre requisites to be a Steelers defensive player. I have listed them already as shown in the previous mock but if you do not remember, here is a quick recap;

1. Power Five Conference
    2. Both Tomlin/Colbert show at Pro Day
    3. Underclassmen
    4. Elite Athlete
    5. Age between 20-23

Greedy checks all the boxes from the pre requisite aspect. The major aspect about Greedy though is that he has lockdown corner capability; something this defense has not had since Ike Taylor. Unlike Ike, Greedy can actually catch. Unlike Ike though, Greedy is not too keen on tackling. The whole "focus aversion" critique is something I have payed little attention to. Not because it is unimportant but because of the fact that such an issue can be ironed out easily. Add his playmaking abilities and potential and it does become a little more clearer why Greedy would be the pick.

Heading into Day 2, let us go even more bananas on defense! To start, lets go circs 2016 with yet another Maryland Terrapin in Darnell Savage Jr. Some say he is underweight but I do not see much of an issue. Given the fact that the average weight of an NFL Defensive Back is roughly 200, being one less pound is not going to hurt. What will hurt is if Mr. Savage stamps his opposition; an assassin patrolling the deep end. Given we do not have much depth beyond Sean Davis, who will likely leave Pittsburgh next season anyway, why not groom his successor?! Nevermind Darnell is more ahead than Sean was coming out, he has far greater potential; playmaking potential at that.

Speaking of potential, that is a good segway for Mr. Boykin. Sure, he did not do a whole lot outside of streak past his opponents with the occasional slant route but that still does not mean he is will not contribute Day one. If anything, Boykin just might be the most explosive receiver in the class; a class with historically explosive ones at that. I still believe James Washington can have a Sophomore Surge. To give him help though, why not add another option?! Speaking of help, the Inside Linebacking unit still needs it even after the Mark Barron Signing. Enter Ben Burr-Kirven; my favorite linebacker overall and player second only to Ed Oliver. Sure, he will not stand up the interior offensive lineman but he is the most instinctive linebacker in the class. Add his abilities to reach sideline to sideline and the team now has a player who can "replace" Ryan Shazier.

Rounds 4 to 7:

Depth building time! For that matter, one in particular; Ben Banogu. Some might not believe he makes in into Round 4 but I do believe he can. He does have the athletic ability but has not put it together. Sounds like someone many of us know! That being said, adding another rusher will do more good than harm as Dupree is likely gone by 2020; Chickillo the same. Better to stockpile up early on another rusher. For that matter, here is hoping that Banogu can become something more.

Speaking of something more, Justice Hill will be Jaylen Samuels all over again. Run, pass protect, and be a receiving option; Mason's trusted steed no less. He should fit right in with the team. Much of the same can go to Zack Bailey due to his versatility. Pittsburgh under Tomlin has valued lineman who can play multiple positions. Given the fact that the league has caught onto this, Zack would be the first of three. Double dipping this round we have Ulysses Gilbert who can not only be a special teams replacement for Tyler but also serve as good depth should the likes of both Barron and Kirven go down. Not an ideal situation but I do believe Gilbert can handle himself. John Baron II is Cris Boswell Motivation and Jordan Miller is to push the likes of Brian Allen and Cameron Sutton.

With the evaluations complete, let us take a look at the final notes.

Final Notes:

This member is beginning to realize that Devin Bush Jr. is a pipe dream at this point. To augment this point further, I initially had him making it to the Giants at pick 17 and Pittsburgh having to forefit their first, their own third and a fifth round pick to move up. Honestly speaking, that is a bit much even if moving up three spots. For that matter, I even initially had Pittsburgh trading back into the First Round with Green Bay by forfeiting the second, Pittsburgh's third and fifth. Again.... no.

Instead, i opted for what the Steelers under Tomlin have done since 2016; grab polarizing first round picks!! :lolol: Besides, our latest First Round player is as polarizing and as controversial as I have ever seen the community react since watching the Steelers back in 2008! That being said though, even with such a head straching pick, the rest of the 2019 Mock class definitely can contribute both in the now and the future.

We are almost home free yet again!! Before we go though, time for the closing statements.

Closing Statements:

Trading some of the picks, for this mock, simply was not in the cards. Sure, someone like Devin Bush Jr. would be worth trading up for in eyes but at what cost. Each team has their own draft value chart as noted by Kevin Colbert. This mainly confirms that not only is the Jimmy Johnson value chart outdated but means little to nothing in the long run.

All that said though, it is time to bid you all farewell for now. Before I leave I will conduct a trade based one for my final mock; next Monday no less!! In addition, my final Top 32 Big Board will be available this Saturday the same. Quite a number of players on the move and some omissions as well! You do not want to miss it!!

Until next time, thank you all for reading! I hope you enjoyed and hope to have you again! Take care and I look forward to seeing you again! :)

17 more days until "High Noon" in Nashville! Go Steelers!! :herewego:

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Nice write up.

Personally Williams is the least I would like of the top 3. I don't see the willingness on the physical part of the game. The guy doesn't have to be Lambert at CB but some effort would be nice :lolol:

And yes, I'm still beating the table for TE. No way they walk away from the draft without one.

I have been going back and forth with Hooker vs Savage. The missed tackles for Savage is the one aspect that leaves me wanting more from him. Hooker is gaining imo. Pretty even really as I like Hookers instincts better.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Big update everyone!!!

Sorry to inform on such late notice, but I will not be able to complete my Final Top 32 Big Board until Sunday. Personal affairs I am afraid!

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd be happy with that. Greedy, Savage, Boykin, Burr-Kirven, Hill are all solid picks.

5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I would be quite happy with this draft, although I would like to see a TE in one of the middle rds