1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers scouts at a lot of Clemson games

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jamie, Dec 6, 2020.

1. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    For the 2nd week in a row Pittsburgh scouts have been seen at Clemson football games rumor has it Travis Etienne RB Clemson is who they are interested in. I don’t know if he’ll be available at 32 when the Steelers pick in the first round next year?

Anyways I would think the Steeler’s first 2 picks should be offensive lineman, but that’s me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't draft Etienne in the first round, RBs are a dime a dozen, I saw a report their scouts was also at the Ohio State game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I know Steelers don't draft for need but the Center position needs a new stud..so maybe they were looking at Ohio State's Josh Meyers for 2 or 3 round...

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It makes sense that they were at Clemson and Ohio States games... Two of the top programs in the country. I'd say the Steelers are likely interested in Etienne. Makes sense at least as he is an all around stud. Maybe they're looking at Ward from OSU? Seems like Corner could be a sneaky option for the first round. Haden could become a cap casualty and there's a good chance we lose one of Hilton/Sutton (or both). How good do we feel about Justin Layne? Maybe the plan is to roll with Nelson, draft pick, Sutton/Hilton, Layne? Lots of options.

5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Trevor Lawrence popped into my head when I saw thread title but no way we need him. We have a deer in the headlights poised to take over once Ben gives it up at age 45.

Even if we wanted a QB no way Trevor would be around that late in a draft.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Lawrence is likely to go #1 overall. Even if the Steelers were below .500 they still wouldn't get him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    When you have recruited 5 star players you will see many scouts,

IE Ohio State, Alabama.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    in my view, OL has to be the highest priority for the first round. With the lack of games being played due to the planned-demic, scouting the big time programs makes sense. The prospects will have a higher floor usually. The 2021 draft will be a huge question mark for everyone with the lack of games and some players opting out of the season entirely.

To be honest, this would be a great draft to trade back and acquire more picks in later years when more tape can be gained on specific targets. Im not saying trade out of the 1st or any round in particular but it would be my plan A if the prospects available are not complete fits.

9. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

when are we not at ohio st games

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Agreed. The RBs we've drafted in recent years have added up to about $0.40

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah I'd go o-line in the first round.

Or yeah Trevor Lawrence lol.

Feel bad for the dude he's going to the Jets.

I still can't figure out why Gase isn't fired yet

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Jackson Carman is likely the player they are looking at from an Offensive perspective. I seriously doubt they are considering top tier talent like Trevor Lawrence though. That said, that Clemson team does have a lot of good Top 100 talent there. Xaiver Thomas is someone I would garner some consideration in the early rounds. Even if Bud Dupree somehow comes back, still a good idea to add more depth there.

Pittsburgh also frequents the South Bend as well. Would not surprise me if Liam Eichenberg is the pick if he somehow falls that far. He has had one heck of a season and has answered many of my questions about him. If he is not a Top 20 selection by the time April rolls around, my jaw will drop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    OL, OL, OL, OL, OL, OL, OL

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Is Clemson one of the top rushing teams? They might be scouting what makes the running game successful, run blockers.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What about at the Kentucky games ? :lolol:

16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    When did you become a Bengals fan?

17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Scout #15 called the Rooneys and told them about Bud DuPree.

18. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015

Anything that brings more impact Notre Dame players to the Steelers I am all for.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    OLine is the top priority in the 2021 draft IMO. I’d be shocked beyond belief if they take a running back with their first pick.

Depending on who leaves in free agency the secondary could also be a huge area of need. Hilton and Sutton are free agents and Haden is almost certainly going to be a cap cut.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Quite a bit of them to look forward to.

Biggest one though for me is still Liam Eichenberg. Four year starter with lots of reps at both Tackle spots. He would be an instant plug n play player given the fact that Big Al is likely gone.

21. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    if he is half as good as Ronnie Stanley or Mike McGlinchey we have a solid starter for many years.

22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    MAC.......Is where it's at!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Will he be available at pick #32?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That is my concern. Part of me believes he will be due to the immense level of teams needing apsects such as QB, CB, WR, EDGE and Interior Offensive Line; all of which are loaded and talented in this class and more so than overall than in 2020. Within that same token, Liam is a top 3 Offensive Tackle in this class in my opinion.

The only other two Offensive Tackles I have graded currently higher than him are Penei Sewell from the University of Oregon and Christian Darrishaw from Virginia Tech University. There are other Offensive Tackles in this class though like Alex Leatherwood from the University of Alabama or even Jalen Mayfield from the University of Michigan.

That said, Liam Eichenberg would be my dream option should he be available by #32. If he is there somehow, someway, I would nor hesitate to acquire him. That said, if Vince Williams is not on the team and Dylan Moses is available by pick #32, that would be interesting.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Stanley was way more athletic coming out and Mike was more technically sound. While Liam is an above average Offensive Tackle with good technics to his game, his versatility and experience will be enough for teams to warrant a first round grade on him. Add the fact that Notre Dame's reputation and their current level of success is going to capture a lot of attention and you have a lot of teams with a lot of eyeballs fixed onto many players from well notable and established programs.